Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scheyer vs. Ellington

In case you didn't notice, it took K all of two minutes to summon Jon Scheyer last night. (He didn't come out the rest of the half.) He went into the game and immediately guarded Ellington. Nelson moved over to Ginyard. From that point on, Scheyer harrassed Ellington through every screen and kept him from getting a good look. In fact, if you watch most of Ellington's open misses, someone else was guarding him after a switch (College Gamenight had a nice montage). Yet Scheyer, who rarely gets credit for his defense, got none again last night.
    The kid is a fantastic all-around player, and his defense might be the most underrated aspect of any player on Duke's team. And the way he has owned Ellington in three career matchups is incredible:

Scheyer: 35.3 mpg; 17.7 ppg; 3.7 rpg; 1.7 apg; 2.0 spg; 0.3 bpg; 1.3 tpg; .405 FG% (15-37); .421 3FG% (8-19); .789 FT% (15-19).

Ellington: 22.3 mpg; 5.0 ppg; 2.7 rpg; 1.7 apg; 0.7 spg; 0.0 bpg; 1.0 tpg; .222 FG% (6-27); .000 3FG% (0-10); 1.000 FT% (3-3).

Those are awesome numbers. Just awesome.

Others have made the point as well as me, but I firmly believe that Scheyer and Singler understand the game better than almost any college player I have seen this year.

I noticed his stellar D on Ellington as well. I was nervous when Jon was not guarding Ellington. Jon did an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Others have made the point as well as me, but I firmly believe that Scheyer and Singler understand the game better than almost any college player I have seen this year.
    Second that.

However, I didn't make this Scheyer/ Ellington observation - very impressive.

Bball IQ

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I agree. Both guys have great bball IQs. This really helps them in tight moments in a game. At the end of the game yesterday when Paulus was shooting throws- there was a shot of Scheyer standing behind him and he had this little smile - not gloating- just a "we outplayed you tonight heels and it is sweet" smile.

Great thread

Thanks Jumbo! Those are fantastic numbers.

Scheyer

On the miserable Raycom telecast (what a poor excuse for television production), Packer mentioned how Scheyer was everywhere on defense ... making steals, etc. He said that Scheyer's length (almost 6'6" according to Packer) caused problems. He just couldn't bring himself to say that Scheyer was athletic - which Scheyer obviously is. In fact, imo, Scheyer is a much better athlete than Ellington.

Jumbo, do you have a stats breakdown of how Duke fared when Scheyer and Henderson were on the floor together? It seems like they were great when playing together.

Jumbo... I certainly noticed the defense on Ellington... my vote for MOTM was for Scheyer for that reason and his all around game. He is just a great all around player. I felt without Lawson that the only way UNC beats Duke last night was if Ellington went off from the outside (I assumed Tyler H would get his and he did). Scheyer was a major reason for the night Ellington had and therefore a major factor in the win.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundevil74 View Post
    On the miserable Raycom telecast (what a poor excuse for television production), Packer mentioned how Scheyer was everywhere on defense ... making steals, etc. He said that Scheyer's length (almost 6'6" according to Packer) caused problems. He just couldn't bring himself to say that Scheyer was athletic - which Scheyer obviously is. In fact, imo, Scheyer is a much better athlete than Ellington.

Jumbo, do you have a stats breakdown of how Duke fared when Scheyer and Henderson were on the floor together? It seems like they were great when playing together.
    Yeah. Duke's best lineup -- by far -- was Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas. It got three shifts and outscored UNC 16-3. Scheyer and Henderson played together plenty in other lineups, too, but that was by far the most effective.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundevil74 View Post
    Packer mentioned how Scheyer was everywhere on defense ... making steals, etc. He said that Scheyer's length (almost 6'6" according to Packer) caused problems. He just couldn't bring himself to say that Scheyer was athletic - which Scheyer obviously is. In fact, imo, Scheyer is a much better athlete than Ellington.
    Several times last night he just stunned me with his quickness and "athleticism". Although we are a deep team with a ton of contributions this year, I think that without Scheyer last night we would have lost. The guy was tangibly and intangibly doing everything.

analysis

another big time THANKS for this kind of stuff Jumbo. This is just SO educational to read and learn from before and after games. Makes us all better fans, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    another big time THANKS for this kind of stuff Jumbo. This is just SO educational to read and learn from before and after games. Makes us all better fans, I hope.
    I could not agree more. This year's Duke experience has eclipsed even my halcyon days on campus 89-93. The depth of understanding and engagement in the success of this team's growth from last year is just flippin phenomenal.

Funny, but most of the talk on the local radio shows was about Henderson shutting down Ellington. I had assumed that would be the gameplan, but I admit that I didn't watch Ellington as much as Quenton and Hansblablah.

It was funny the way Packer could not say Scheyer was athletic. Also, he kept on commenting on how the heels perimeter was not shooting well, but never actually attributed it to good defense. Packer drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not a problem. Just a little pattern I noticed. Thanks.

Plus/Minus for the UNC Game

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Yeah. Duke's best lineup -- by far -- was Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas. It got three shifts and outscored UNC 16-3. Scheyer and Henderson played together plenty in other lineups, too, but that was by far the most effective.
    Jumbo, did you post the plus/minus for this game? If you did, I can't find it.

What is it about you and Scheyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Not a problem. Just a little pattern I noticed. Thanks.
    Seriously, I agree that Scheyer is very underrated. All he does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Seriously, I agree that Scheyer is very underrated. All he does is win.
    Absolutely. He is the best "sixth man" since David Henderson -- and that is saying a HELL of a lot. I also notice that, when the press is on, he is often the one bringing up the ball or handling at the top of the floor. Like most of the team this year, his contributions go far beyond the boxscore.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Absolutely. He is the best "sixth man" since David Henderson -- and that is saying a HELL of a lot. I also notice that, when the press is on, he is often the one bringing up the ball or handling at the top of the floor. Like most of the team this year, his contributions go far beyond the boxscore.
    I'll take Grant Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    I'll take Grant Hill.
    Not to downplay one of my favorite players, but there is a difference between a freshman coming off the bench of a star-studded team (Grant) and one of the best players on our team being specifically slotted as the sixth man (Jon). Of course, given that Jon ends up with starter's minutes anyway (if not moreso) my whole point is somewhat meaningless. (Which is true of most of my points, but y'all have figured that out already).