Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Difference Between Duke and Carolina Players

As the game was winding down and Duke had the game in hand, CBS cut to a shot of Carolina players laughing on the bench. Does a single person here think that Duke players would be cracking jokes on the bench in the waning moments of a loss to Carolina at home? I can't imagine such a situation. To me, this is the difference between Coach K and Roy Will, the Duke program and the Carolina program.

I noticed. I then imagined then running up and down stairs today. Once Roy sees that, they're doomed.

Under the microscope

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    As the game was winding down and Duke had the game in hand, CBS cut to a shot of Carolina players laughing on the bench. Does a single person here think that Duke players would be cracking jokes on the bench in the waning moments of a loss to Carolina at home? I can't imagine such a situation. To me, this is the difference between Coach K and Roy Will, the Duke program and the Carolina program.
    I'm not sure that I agree with that idea. Some times people laugh when they really feel like crying or when they feel awkward in a situation. Did you see Kansas players do the same thing while Roy was there?

I'm happy with the outcome of the game and enjoyed seeing two high quality programs play a great game without the histrionics becoming SOP today. What a refreshing contrast to many in the ACC and elsewhere!

I noticed last night how tuned in our guys were to Coach K. In the 2nd half, after Henderson blocked the shot that was called for goaltending, I think it went to a TV timeout. As the feed was breaking away (Raycom), it showed the Duke players on the bench watching Coach K. It was cool because you could see how intense their concentration was on Coach. Am I overanalyzing? Very possible. But, it was still great to see how focused our guys were.

Actually, I think the difference in the Duke and Carolina players was in the demeanor of each team earlier in the game. Carolina came out really, really sky high emotionally. We took their best shot early, punched them in the mouth and took the fire out of their belly. It looked like UNC was relying more on motivation as a motivator than composure under pressure. (Which solves the question we had on a thread the past few days, I think). I hope that when we play in CIS we're still as composed, because the emotional pressure will be on our guys then.

The difference is 11 points, at their place. (Woo Hoo!)

Sean May was also quite smiley near the end of the game, behind the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    Because he knew dinner was waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Because he knew dinner was waiting for him.
    Ziiiiigggggy Piiiiiigggggyyyyyy haha

Quote Originally Posted by BigTedder View Post
    Ziiiiigggggy Piiiiiigggggyyyyyy haha
    You're my hero

Probably thinking of his next box of donuts.

did he swallow a spaceship?

difference

simple answer: the name on the FRONT of the jersey...

Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'm not sure that I agree with that idea. Some times people laugh when they really feel like crying or when they feel awkward in a situation. Did you see Kansas players do the same thing while Roy was there?

I'm happy with the outcome of the game and enjoyed seeing two high quality programs play a great game without the histrionics becoming SOP today. What a refreshing contrast to many in the ACC and elsewhere!
    Deon Thompson and someone else (Lawson, Stephenson, ?) were definetily whispering and laughing about something. Not sure how much to read into it, but I noticed the same thing and remembered thinking that it doesn't matter whether Roy saw it or not, I would not be laughing and joking in that situation after losing a big game.

It was interesting to me to watch Green dance around like a fool, then the cameras pan to Demarcus and he had that look on his face that he was intense and ready to take care of business. It was a huge contrast. Though as has been mentioned, I have much respect for UNC and the lack of dirty play. It seemed we had a string of dirty plays from various ACC teams against us. Ironically, the only 2 teams I think that have avoided cheap shots are Maryland and UNC.

Come on.

Our coach and players have more class, dignity, and grace. Our students and our alumni/ae are smarter, better-looking, and will have more successful children. Also, our feet don't stink as much.

Please. This is ridiculous. A couple of guys probably ran twenty extra suicides yesterday for acting like, well, 19-year-old boys. Our guys do silly things, too, occasionally, and those situations are likely addressed by K et al the way Roy probably took care of his business yesterday.

Can we step down from the collective high horse and just enjoy the great win?

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Our coach and players have more class, dignity, and grace. Our students and our alumni/ae are smarter, better-looking, and will have more successful children. Also, our feet don't stink as much.

Please. This is ridiculous. A couple of guys probably ran twenty extra suicides yesterday for acting like, well, 19-year-old boys. Our guys do silly things, too, occasionally, and those situations are likely addressed by K et al the way Roy probably took care of his business yesterday.

Can we step down from the collective high horse and just enjoy the great win?
    I'm with stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    It was interesting to me to watch Green dance around like a fool, then the cameras pan to Demarcus and he had that look on his face that he was intense and ready to take care of business. It was a huge contrast. Though as has been mentioned, I have much respect for UNC and the lack of dirty play. It seemed we had a string of dirty plays from various ACC teams against us. Ironically, the only 2 teams I think that have avoided cheap shots are Maryland and UNC.
    Also Clemson.
    Offhand, I don't remember any thuggery in the Virginia game, either.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I saw that last night, and it reminded me of McBob last year cussing in the towel on the bench during the Carolina game. People talk about his attitude problem all the time, but I would rather a player cuss into a towel than laugh and giggle in that situation. At least it showed that he cared.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by uncwdevil View Post
    I saw that last night, and it reminded me of McBob last year cussing in the towel on the bench during the Carolina game. People talk about his attitude problem all the time, but I would rather a player cuss into a towel than laugh and giggle in that situation. At least it showed that he cared.
    Maybe he was upset that he had stayed for year 2 and his draft status was dropping.