ACC Games this Weekend

After a day of euphoria on this board (along with several hundred related posts), I decided to look forward to the coming weekend. There are five ACC games and one game against a top 25 team. Florida State gets some time off. My thoughts (the numbers in the parenthesis are RPI ranking):

BC(95) @ Duke(2) - The Devils are playing very well and with a lot of confidence. The Devils always disrupt the BC passing game and make life difficult for the BC perimeter players. The game at CIS will be no different. I don’t see BC stopping the Duke offense nor do I see them scoring a bunch of points. BC should lose their sixth straight and continue their downward spiral.

Miami(46) @ Virginia Tech(65) – On paper, this should be a close game but Tech is on the upswing and the Noles, despite their decent RPI, have lost 6 of 7. The Hokies win another at home and inch closer to a shot at an NCAA bid.

Virginia(121) @ Wake Forest(92) – Two of the bottom feeders in the league but Wake has a future and Virginia doesn’t. The worst team in the ACC is shoved deeper into the cellar with an away loss to Wake.

N.C.State(37) @ Maryland(57) – I expect this to be a good game between two teams that are playing well. If the Terps starters can stay out of foul trouble, I expect them to win a close one. If any, particularly their inside players, have to sit on the bench for a while because of fouls, then they are in trouble against a strong Pack inside game.

Clemson(30) @ UNC(4) – Clemson is playing very well and they have the inside players to neutralize Hansbrough. If Ellington and Green don’t show up, Clemson wins this game. If those two put some points on the board and Lawson can play a few minutes then I see the Heels winning.

Georgia Tech plays at one my least favorite teams, Connecticut. Tech is playing well and I would love to see them beat UConn but I doubt it.

This is the halfway point of the ACC season. The Devils have been a big surprise to me and I expect them to win the regular season title. A bunch on this board love to put that accomplishment down but I think that it will be a feather in the cap of a Duke team that many, including myself, thought would be battling to get to 2nd place.

After ˝ the season, my All ACC team is as follows:

Hansbrough – He is roughed up on this site as much as he is in the games but he is the best player in the ACC hans down.
    Nelson – He is having a terrific senior season and he is the best player on the best team.
    Rice – He is having an outstanding year scoring and leading his team.
    Rivers – Like Nelson, he is the best all around player on the third best team in the ACC.
    Singletary – His stats project to first team and he is a senior; however, his team is going down the drain and that may impact his selection at the end of the year.

One thing that has happened this year is that the ACC has become a point guard rich league – Lawson, Rice, Singletary, Vasquez/Hayes, Paulus/Smith, Douglas, McClinton, Smith/Teague, Stitt/Ogelesby and Miller/Causey. Only N.C. State and Virginia Tech don’t have good point guards and theirs are freshmen who may develop.

gw67

I may pee my pants if Clemson beats UNC. Although Clemson is right behind UNC on my most-hated list, I have to chose the lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    I may pee my pants if Clemson beats UNC. Although Clemson is right behind UNC on my most-hated list, I have to chose the lesser of two evils.
    no need to worry. Seth Davis has picked Clemson to win at Chapel Hell by 1 so that means they'll get the usual rout.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Still

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    no need to worry. Seth Davis has picked Clemson to win at Chapel Hell by 1 so that means they'll get the usual rout.
    You might want to invest in an adult incontinence device before Sunday evening. We can hope, right?

As we start down the home stretch of the regular season, the "B" word will become a part of our daily vocabulary. For ACC teams, who is on the bubble? There are several teams in my opinion. First, I see two teams that are a lock:

1. Duke
    2. UNC

Second, I see two teams in good shape but with something left to prove:

1. Clemson
    2. Maryland

Finally, I see three teams on the bubble who need to finish strong to earn an invitation:

1. Virginia Tech
    2. NC State
    3. Miami (fading fast)

The Miami @ Virginia Tech and NC State @ Maryland games are critical match-ups this weekend. I like the home team in both contests.
    Bob Green