Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How did Dickie V do?

When I turned on the game last night, I had it on ESPN HD. No signal, so I switched to WRAL HD, and got the picture and background noise only. No play by play at all. It was working for me, because we got the loudspeaker announcements clearly. The missus was annoyed a bit, but I was enjoying it. Did not have to listen to Vitale. It stayed that way until the first TV time out when I decided I was lacking some game info. I went to get a radio for Bob Harris, but by the time I set it up Packer was talking. I went ahead with the radio. The missus didn't like the audio lag, so I listened to Packer. He had a few gaffs, but I was pleased not to have Vitale. So, how did Vitale turn out? I hope his recovery is OK, but did he change his techniques in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    When I turned on the game last night, I had it on ESPN HD. No signal, so I switched to WRAL HD, and got the picture and background noise only. No play by play at all. It was working for me, because we got the loudspeaker announcements clearly. The missus was annoyed a bit, but I was enjoying it. Did not have to listen to Vitale. It stayed that way until the first TV time out when I decided I was lacking some game info. I went to get a radio for Bob Harris, but by the time I set it up Packer was talking. I went ahead with the radio. The missus didn't like the audio lag, so I listened to Packer. He had a few gaffs, but I was pleased not to have Vitale. So, how did Vitale turn out? I hope his recovery is OK, but did he change his techniques in any way?
    Vitale was Vitale. Same schtick. No improvement. No decline. It was almost comforting to partake of his tired hyperbole.

Unfortunately, Patrick was also Patrick. Every layup a monumental moment in college basketball history. Each timeout, a brilliantly employed strategic triumph over clock and time. Each rebound directly to a player, an exhausting effort of unbridled enthusiasm and tremendous hustle. All made shots other than free throws, miracle "runners."

ESPN apparently knows I won't turn away and is taunting me by encouraging Patrick to be even more melodramatic than even the game before. And he's ever so informative. Did you know that turnovers were "exactly what Duke was looking for" and that uncontested layups are "just what North Carolina wants out of their offense"? Apparently, it's true.

He was awful, as usual. Patrick may have been worse. I think they went almost the entire final seconds without talking about the game.
    Just dreadful!!

Patrick was terrible with many many missed calls. Blatant misses.

You can check it out on ESPN360. I watched part of it again at work today. It's worth watching again even if it is Vitale and Patrick.

One good thing was the sideline reporter. I can't remember her name but she was quite nice.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    One good thing was the sideline reporter. I can't remember her name but she was quite nice.

Let's all write her fan letters and encourage her to occasionally give us a foul count.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Let's all write her fan letters and encourage her to occasionally give us a foul count.
    word. Patrick never will.

But when I said nice, I wasn't talking about what she said.
    ~rthomas

OK, wink-wink.
    You dog you!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    He was awful, as usual. Patrick may have been worse. I think they went almost the entire final seconds without talking about the game.
    Just dreadful!!
    I meant to say 60 seconds.

Thumbs up Vitale's performance

Vitale's performance: It was great!

PLEASE NOTE: I live in Atlanta where I had to watch Billy Packer. On the metaphysical scale of horrible in which Vern Lundquist is 0 (awful, but tolerable) and 10 is HORRIBLE (i.e., torture), Packer was a 10. Elmore is 9.

Seriously, is Packer physically okay? I actually got a little worried about him when they showed him last night.

The complaints here seem to be geared to Patrick, rather than Vitale. Call Vitale what you will, but he will never have the word curmudgeon placed next to his name.

Create a Poll Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Vitale's performance: It was great!

PLEASE NOTE: I live in Atlanta where I had to watch Billy Packer. On the metaphysical scale of horrible in which Vern Lundquist is 0 (awful, but tolerable) and 10 is HORRIBLE (i.e., torture), Packer was a 10. Elmore is 9.

Seriously, is Packer physically okay? I actually got a little worried about him when they showed him last night.

The complaints here seem to be geared to Patrick, rather than Vitale. Call Vitale what you will, but he will never have the word curmudgeon placed next to his name.

Create a Poll Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Vitale was a 12.

Are you kidding?

Give me a break! Sometimes the posts on this site are unbelievable. I may not be a Vitale fan but without him and some of the enthusiasm of many other commentators (Patrick) the fan base and viewer support may not be where it is.
    And guess what??? Without viewers, you won't get to watch any games on tv. If you're so against Vitale, Packer, Patrick, etc. watch it with no sound. I mean you still get to see the game.
    As for Vitale, other than talking about the Super Bowl with around 30 seconds left I thought he did a pretty good job. He was even critical of a call by the zebras at one point which I thought was nice to hear.
    Please stop all these ridiculous threads...makes many of you look like a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do than complain about things out of your control.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Canada View Post
    ...makes many of you look like a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do than complain about things out of your control.
    What's your point?
    ~rthomas

I actually enjoyed seeing Vitale back. He is a huge Duke supporter. Yes, I agree he can get a "little over excited", but I think the guy should be cut some slack. He has been sick as crap.

Sideline Reporter

That would be Stacey Dales, who you will recall knocked Duke out of the 2002 Final Four. So then Alana knocked her out of her job playing for the Mystics as payback...
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

I was really bummed to have missed Dickie V's return due to the local blackout. College Hoops just isn't right without him. I know he has lots of haters and I understand and respect your opinion. And yes I do wish he'd stay on topic more. But the man loves the game like no other and his enthusiasm is just great. He's unique and I like it. He's kinda like Keith Jackson was to College football...the unique voice that everyone knows (although I am aware that Kieth was more widely liked and less annoying!).

Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    All made shots other than free throws, miracle "runners."
    I'm glad someone else picked up on that -- it annoys me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    Did you know that turnovers were "exactly what Duke was looking for" and that uncontested layups are "just what North Carolina wants out of their offense"? Apparently, it's true.
    Patrick also said something to the effect of "Lawson can't move laterally, which would affect his defense." Stunning analysis of an injury,

Give me a break! Sometimes the posts on this site are unbelievable. I may not be a Vitale fan but without him and some of the enthusiasm of many other commentators (Patrick) the fan base and viewer support may not be where it is.
    And guess what??? Without viewers, you won't get to watch any games on tv. If you're so against Vitale, Packer, Patrick, etc. watch it with no sound. I mean you still get to see the game.
    As for Vitale, other than talking about the Super Bowl with around 30 seconds left I thought he did a pretty good job. He was even critical of a call by the zebras at one point which I thought was nice to hear.
    Please stop all these ridiculous threads...makes many of you look like a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do than complain about things out of your control.
    Nope. Not kidding even one little bit!
    My opinion is that he is an immature buffoon who spoils the game. I happen to like the crowd noise and choose not to mute the game. Do folks get to have opinions in Canada? They do here, and that is mine. Don't like it, don't read it. Real simple.
    Do you really think Vitale and Patrick are why there are viewers? Get serious, yourself. There are viewers in spite of those two clowns.

Vitale and Patrick

I kind of thought that by posting I was actually expressing an opinion. You see in Canada, we are polite and subtle about our responses. Probably why the world likes us so much. If you want to slam me go ahead but my position hasn't changed because of it. Vitale may be over the top but he is great for college basketball. I do think that his enthusiasm is what young viewers need. When a kid is watching the NBA on tv there is little enthusiasm. I love the fact that college commentators try to make things entertaining.

Talking Say what?

I kind of thought that by posting I was actually expressing an opinion. You see in Canada, we are polite and subtle about our responses.
    Two words:

DON CHERRY

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Smile That Wake player turned announcer

Vitale may be over the top but he is great for college basketball. I do think that his enthusiasm is what young viewers need.
    I don't dispute the substance of your point, much. Where I lose it with Vitale is when the conversation strays into 3-minute long discussions of baseball (Derek Jeter) that occur when you want to know more about, oh, the actual basketball game (like fouls, points, etc...).

Packer, on the other hand, is a curmudgeon. In essence, in a typical five minute segment, the number of positives he offers can be counted on one or two fingers. You may also forget his surly comments to a female Duke u'grad as he went into CIS. Over time, he has been known for this sort of 'tude... definitely not high on most of our lists.

Cheers,
    Lavabe