Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    did you expect anything different?

a little more info

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said, because Henderson and other Devils are either ailing or worn out, he wanted to make sure Duke got in some practice time without contact next week as the Devils prepare for NCAA Tournament play."

Quote Originally Posted by BCGroup View Post
    http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said, because Henderson and other Devils are either ailing or worn out, he wanted to make sure Duke got in some practice time without contact next week as the Devils prepare for NCAA Tournament play."
    I found K's bench use unusual in the game yesterday. At a time of year when almost everyone generally shortens the bench, he gave more minutes to the bench than he has since December. I think Duke was really tired ... or K secretly did not care that much about winning the game. He knew our NCAA seed was locked in as a #2 or #3 (and I contend there is almost no difference at all between those seeds) and he wanted the team to be as rested as possible for the Dance next week.

--Jason "I know, K always wants to win -- but I think maybe he did not mind losing as much as he sometimes does" Evans

"I think Duke was really tired"

i think they are too and i am not sure they have enough time to remove the fatigue in some legs (like singler) that is causing the J woes.

Nice that the x-rays were negative, but I don't think a fracture was a serious consideration anyway. The question is whether and how much his ligament/tendon was affected. We probably won't know until our next game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I found K's bench use unusual in the game yesterday. At a time of year when almost everyone generally shortens the bench, he gave more minutes to the bench than he has since December. I think Duke was really tired ... or K secretly did not care that much about winning the game. He knew our NCAA seed was locked in as a #2 or #3 (and I contend there is almost no difference at all between those seeds) and he wanted the team to be as rested as possible for the Dance next week.

--Jason "I know, K always wants to win -- but I think maybe he did not mind losing as much as he sometimes does" Evans
    Agree completely...He was subbing most of the game like he had blue team and a white team...Bobby Knight was on friday talking about his dislike for the conference tournament unless you're on the bubble..Think K had a similar sense about it this year given fatigue and nagging injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Agree completely...He was subbing most of the game like he had blue team and a white team...Bobby Knight was on friday talking about his dislike for the conference tournament unless you're on the bubble..Think K had a similar sense about it this year given fatigue and nagging injuries...
    When you really think about, who cares about winning the conference tournament when you are already locked in as one of the top seeds. All you are doing is putting your team through a grueling 3 games in 3 days with potential injuries (Duhon in 2004, Henderson yesterday). Of course you want to win but, at the end of the day, all that matters is the NCAA tournament. So I say, play your bench regardless. Even if you lose, at least your bench gets more post-season experience/confidence (e.g. Zoubek)

I think Duke was really tired ... or K secretly did not care that much about winning the game. He knew our NCAA seed was locked in as a #2 or #3 (and I contend there is almost no difference at all between those seeds) and he wanted the team to be as rested as possible for the Dance next week.
    I think you may have nailed it here. The thought actually occurred to me as well while watching yesterday. K said something in an interview this week about it being unfortunate that our conference tourney ends on a sunday, giving us one less day of rest. Dykes also made a comment during the broadcast about how Duke had been going 5-on-5 in practice this week, and that it was pretty grueling. The implication seemed to be that they were preparing for next weekend, not this weekend.

As JasonEvans said, you always want to win, but sometimes a loss hurts less. Data points: Kyle was getting a LOT of rest, the 5 for 5 subs, and the fact that we were playing with McClure in there during crunch time. Now, granted, G aggravated his wrist and Dave played well in the tournament, but I thought it was odd as well not to see more heavy reliance on the usual end of game rotation.

Smile You guys are making me feel good...

Hi,

In reading these posts, I am starting to get excited about the NCAA Tournament again. I was in a bit of a funk yesterday. Now, I am like, "Bring 'em on." I really love this team and it makes me sad to think that on any given day it could be the last time I get to see them play live as a team again--ever. In some ways I love the end of the year, in others I hate it. I have grown to really like seeing Markie and don't want him to go...guess this happens almost every year. It just seems like more and more the seniors we have are really special kids I will really miss. In seasons past kids came and went and I wasn't as sad, but in the last 7-8 years that has not been the case. Even kids who had NO chance to have their numbers retired I thought added a lot to both the basketball program and the school as a whole.

GO DUKE and 9F for good measure.

Henderson X-ray?

I have been away today. Any word on results of Henderson x-ray at Bobcatys arena after the game yesterday?

results were negative

And we are a 2 seed playing in Washington DC. Not terrible, not terrible at all. I certainly hope G recovers for this season, and that Singler gets a little rest. We might want to shift around our starters for the first game.

When you really think about, who cares about winning the conference tournament when you are already locked in as one of the top seeds. All you are doing is putting your team through a grueling 3 games in 3 days with potential injuries (Duhon in 2004, Henderson yesterday). Of course you want to win but, at the end of the day, all that matters is the NCAA tournament. So I say, play your bench regardless. Even if you lose, at least your bench gets more post-season experience/confidence (e.g. Zoubek)
    Well, considering THE ACC Championship banner is on the line every year, I think our conference tournament has tons of significance. I want to win that tournament just as much as I do the entire NCAA. Not more-so, but just as much. The ACC Tournament is one of the finest events in all of college athletics and I'm sure K wants to take the prize home each and every year.

I would agree that K was more than likely trying to get our bench ready for the upcoming Dance should we need them to lend a bigger hand at some point or another, and that by doing so K was also able to help our shooters rest their legs a bit, but there is no way in hell that K was systematically trying to rest up early and tank in the Grand Daddy. Not a chance. His competitive spirit would not allow it. He knows the ACC Tournament is the true ACC Champion and he wants to take that prize home EVERY year, especially when that means Carolina won't be adding another.

I'm sorry, but unless someone has some solid proof that K was deliberately fixing for a loss--whether on a small or very organized level--I'm not buying it.

I don't think for one second that K wasn't trying to put Duke in the best position to win the ACC tournament. I think us fans who say that are just trying to soften the blow of not winning.

Having said that, the hope is that we can take it easy this week, work on some walkthroughs, some film sessions, some technical work, and get some rest. Then HOPEFULLY the first round game is one where we can rest some guys as well.

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    I don't think for one second that K wasn't trying to put Duke in the best position to win the ACC tournament. I think us fans who say that are just trying to soften the blow of not winning.

Having said that, the hope is that we can take it easy this week, work on some walkthroughs, some film sessions, some technical work, and get some rest. Then HOPEFULLY the first round game is one where we can rest some guys as well.

I trust Coach K to do what is best for the team, but I really hope they take it easy this week in practice and rest up. By this point in the season the team needs rest and recovery time for their legs more than they need "grueling practices." I really hope Coach K uses all ten guys A LOT against Belmont and if, and I do stress IF, we blow them out I hope he rests some of the guys who look really tired (Markie and Singler).

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Roy, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I trust Coach K to do what is best for the team, but I really hope they take it easy this week in practice and rest up. By this point in the season the team needs rest and recovery time for their legs more than they need "grueling practices." I really hope Coach K uses all ten guys A LOT against Belmont and if, and I do stress IF, we blow them out I hope he rests some of the guys who look really tired (Markie and Singler).
    Absolutely agree. I guess I'm kinda relieved to know that I wasn't just imagining things when I said the team looked tired in the ACC tournament. That's been such a powder keg over the last several years that I'm really hesitant any more to even bring it up. But it did look to me like the team as a whole, and Singler in particular, were running low on energy. What I can't understand is why it's happening this year. During the majority of the JJ years, and last year, I could easily understand why we were worn out at the end of the season - we had to run our top 6 or 7 into the ground just to try and eak out victories, especially in the ACC. But this year I did feel Coach did a decent job of using the bench. My only complaint in that area was that I thought he did have a long stretch where it seemed like he didn't use the bench quite enough during the second half of games. It wasn't a big deal at all, but it would have been nice to see King get a few minutes during the second half of games, but it just wasn't to be on many nights. But other than that, I thought we had done a decent job in limiting minutes. The only thing I can imagine is that we have more nagging injuries that most know about, and that the practices are just so intense that it drains us. That may be as much mental as physical, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Bottom line: I hope we get sufficient rest and are ready to go on Thursday. We are going to need the guys at full strength to make a legit run at the Final Four.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    I think you may have nailed it here. The thought actually occurred to me as well while watching yesterday. K said something in an interview this week about it being unfortunate that our conference tourney ends on a sunday, giving us one less day of rest. Dykes also made a comment during the broadcast about how Duke had been going 5-on-5 in practice this week, and that it was pretty grueling. The implication seemed to be that they were preparing for next weekend, not this weekend.

As JasonEvans said, you always want to win, but sometimes a loss hurts less. Data points: Kyle was getting a LOT of rest, the 5 for 5 subs, and the fact that we were playing with McClure in there during crunch time. Now, granted, G aggravated his wrist and Dave played well in the tournament, but I thought it was odd as well not to see more heavy reliance on the usual end of game rotation.
    I think he does this to some extent in the ACCT every year. You can't shorten your bench until and unless you make it to the final.

Some guys are saying Duke has to hit 40% from 3-pt land to win. Fact is, nost nights 33% will do it. I think he was saving the team for Carolina, not for the NCAAT.
    The Gordog

Media-driven schedules, more games, higher RPIs whatever the hell that means, and da MONEY in college basketball all contribute to a ridiculous number of injuries in the college game. Young men in the prime of their lives going to the university to mature and develop are being injured in unseemly and unnecessary ways so ESPN, Nike, and, oh, the universities themselves can make more money.

At least K had the good sense to dumb down the schedule this year, which keep the number of injuries down. I'd like to see even more of it in years to come. The NCAA should be ashamed of itself for allowing the number of games to increase, the intensity of play to increase (call the games according to the rules), and for allowing scheduling to be driven by TV demands for basketball 7 nights and 2 days per week, except on holidays when it gets even crazier.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    Roy, is that you?
    My thoughts exactly. Come on ya'll. We tried hard; we wanted it; we gave it our all; we lost. Clemson beat us.

-EarlJam