Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i didn't see anything on the link that described the injury. if it's a sprain, then how is there no chance of injuring it further? maybe some of the doctors can pipe up but i've never heard of ligament damage that cannot be further damaged.
    From a sports medicine perspective, I think Jumbo described the scenario perfectly for continuing to play as long as it is safe to do so. Regarding the comment "I've never heard of ligament damage that cannot be further damaged," it is rare that sprains (by definition involving some degree of tearing of a ligament) require surgery. Having already made the determination that his sprain needs surgery, it can't get any worse - it is either stretched to the point of being unstable or it is completely torn, either case being in need of a surgical repair. Not that I have any inside information, but, it is most likely a scapholunate ligament sprain (Google it).

You want to know ANY players physical condition ask the head coach 8 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    You want to know ANY players physical condition ask the head coach 8 miles away.
    Yeah, Deputy Dadgum Dawg knows that only his team has "real" injuries. . . all others are just a bunch of bunk, Frickin dadgumit!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Your innuendo is unfair. We know you are talking about UNC and Ty Lawson. You have no idea as to the extent of his injury. In the past Duke has had players who were injured and did not play
    You may not like the innuendo, but what Relativeways posted is consistent with what I have heard directly from a Rams Club UNC supporter the night after the VA Tech game -- that Lawson's dad won't let Ty play if he has any pain even though he has been medically cleared.

The UNC supporter that told me this was extremely irritated by this. I have no personal knowledge of Lawson's injury, but it is hard to imagine why a strong UNC supporter would want to make up such a story about such a terrific talent for UNC, particularly since Lawson will be critical to the heels' post season success.

You misunderstood me

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Suppose you're told: "MChambers, you have a booboo on your typing hand. You will need surgery to properly correct the problem. You can keep typing for the next 6 weeks on a slightly limited basis, enduring some discomfort and then have the surgery, or you can have the surgery on Tuesday and be ready to go resume "normal" activities by June. Which would you prefer?"

That is why some highly motivated players keep playing and have surgery after the season (Gerald). Others decide that the pain and recovery time during the season would ruin the season and would rather "save" the year eligibility-wise and get a medical red-shirt and have the surgery now (Marty). It's really not hard to understand both decisions. They are best for both the team and the player, at the player's option.
    I just wish our players wouldn't get hurt so much! I remember Dockery, Ewing, Nelson, Paulus, Marty and there are probably more I don't remember. Just seems like our backcourt is always less than 100% at the end of the season.

I'm not blaming anything or anyone, except Lady Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i didn't see anything on the link that described the injury. if it's a sprain, then how is there no chance of injuring it further? maybe some of the doctors can pipe up but i've never heard of ligament damage that cannot be further damaged.
    When did Coach K say it was a sprain or ligament damage? Not saying you're wrong, just saying I didn't see that in any of yesterday's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I just wish our players wouldn't get hurt so much! I remember Dockery, Ewing, Nelson, Paulus, Marty and there are probably more I don't remember. Just seems like our backcourt is always less than 100% at the end of the season.

I'm not blaming anything or anyone, except Lady Luck.
    I'm with you on your first and last points!

As to our backcourt (and frontcourt too) hurting at the end of the season, or any of our players, it comes from the bumps and bruises of playing your heart out on every play, diving for loose balls with 20 seconds left at the end of a blowout game (yes, a positive reference to Hanstravel), and just generally leaving it all out on the court every time out. I'm all for that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

You are very observant

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm not surprised by Jumbo's news, however. I am getting tired of having players having surgery after the season, however. Seems to be a regular event the last few years.
    This is a good observation. Is the frequency of such injuries a pattern? Does it have anything to do with the kind of physical play which has emerged since the conference expanded?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This is a good observation. Is the frequency of such injuries a pattern? Does it have anything to do with the kind of physical play which has emerged since the conference expanded?
    It's hard to tell whether Duke's # of postseason surgeries is actually frequent without looking at other schools for a comparison. It could just be that it seems like a lot because we follow Duke so much closer than we do everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This is a good observation. Is the frequency of such injuries a pattern?
    You mean like the plethora of fifth metatarsal breaks our big guys suffer?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

What sort of pattern is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It's hard to tell whether Duke's # of postseason surgeries is actually frequent without looking at other schools for a comparison. It could just be that it seems like a lot because we follow Duke so much closer than we do everyone else.
    I agree. As we say at Duke, "It would be interesting" to examine that notion more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Your innuendo is unfair. We know you are talking about UNC and Ty Lawson. You have no idea as to the extent of his injury. In the past Duke has had players who were injured and did not play
    I completely agree. Injuries are not imaginary and not something a player can just ignore. If you have ever played basketball you know you simply cannot play effectively, if at all, on a sprained ankle. It is very unfair to imply that Lawson should just ignore it and play on. Coach K said it best when he said it was a big game and he expected Lawson to play if he could. The fact is he could not and it is not a character flaw.

Interestingly, since the UNC game, Gerald has shot 15-20 from the line. He's actually been better in the past five games from the line (75%) than he was before the injury (63%).

Absolutely

I agree. Didn't mean to suggest Duke had any special problem. Also, 15 or 20 years ago it was a lot harder to get information about injuries, recruiting, etc. Today, we tend to know much more about the injuries.

Still wish our players wouldn't get hurt!

I think that this is a key point. I follow UCLA basketball very closely as well, and they've actually been even more injury riddled recently than Duke, but we don't notice it as much on this board because it's not our team. I think that there are just always a lot of injuries in the game, and we focus on the ones that affect us the most.

Thumbs up Gerald to Bob Harris: My wrist is fine

FWIW, G told Bob Harris in the postgame interview that his wrist was fine and it wasn't hampering his play in any way. described it as a "sore ligament"

I know hes not going to come out and say "my wrist is killing me," but it is nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Gerald is a very well-spoken young man, and I think he is beginning to feel more and more confident with that wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    FWIW, G told Bob Harris in the postgame interview that his wrist was fine and it wasn't hampering his play in any way. described it as a "sore ligament"

I know hes not going to come out and say "my wrist is killing me," but it is nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Gerald is a very well-spoken young man, and I think he is beginning to feel more and more confident with that wrist.
    Thanks for the info. It does feel good to know that G's wrist is "fine" (though I agree with you that he maybe underplaying it).

Also, loved that small emotional exchange between G and K in the second half after G made a play.

18. That's good to hear, but if I remember right, GH didn't penetrate and attempt a mid-range jump shot. He might've made only one jump shot in the game, and it was an open one.

This was a weapon we sorely missed tonight. Even though we won by double digits, a better offensive team than GT might've beaten us tonight with the way we were shooting 3s. Cut off penetration (or at least make it extremely difficult) and hope that Duke misses open 3s -- that's what happened tonight and that's what I fear will happen to us in the tourney.

Henderson's wrist

Well some good news- xrays were negative. K thinks he will need some rest and rehab and should be ready to go.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=384088

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well some good news- xrays were negative. K thinks he will need some rest and rehab and should be ready to go.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=384088
    needed that...