Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    He's so incredibly smoothe that he rarely looks as if he's doing anything particularly fast or quickly, until he decides to jump, then all of a sudden he's three-and-a-half feet off the ground.
    I often say that he's part cat. He jumps and twists his body in like five different directions in midair. Really amazing.

Carmen Wallace had a 40+ inch vertical if I recall correctly.

I found a couple sources that claim Dahntay jumped 39" at the pre-draft camp and Corey is listed at 40" (not sure when that was measured). The best vertical in the 2003 draft class was 41.5" and 41" was best in the 2007 draft.

He also had ice on it after the game - I'm hoping it was more precautionary than a requisite.

I seem to recall Dawkins being listed as having a 42" vertical leap. Regardless, he could jackknife in midair and change direction. Still don't know how he did that.

G

Gerald Henderson has been quoted as saying that he and Demarcus have 40 inch verticals but it's not like thats official or anything. Gerald defintely gets some rediculous blocks for a sg though. Some of his blocks kind of remind me of some of the rediculous blocks that Tyrus Thomas had on Duke in terms of the fact that it seemed like there should be no chance that the shot should be able to be blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    On TV, it looks as if Henderson's head is an inch or so from the rim on occasion. He's only 6'4". I don't recall any of the other guys mentioned getting up like that.

But, this game, he had some Monster leaps in traffic and at risk on defense, among some real trees. After a while, and I'm not kidding, he seemed even to look taller than usual standing among them. They had to think so.
    Those are really good points. There are times when I would swear he was about to hit his head on the rim! I just can't quite think of him as 6'4".

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Carmen Wallace had a 40+ inch vertical if I recall correctly.
    IIRC Wallace had a 44 inch vertical.

Taymon has played pick-up in Wilson gym a couple times over the last two or three years. I have seen him posterize some guys in impressive fashion. Still, he is no Dahntay.. or G

Jumping

Vertial leap measurements don't really tell the whole story of who jumps the "best". Maggette was a one foot leaper which is Grant Hill. Dahntay, Carmen Wallace and Gerald are primarily two foot leapers. A two foot leaper appears more explosive when he gets off the ground - remember Dominique Wilkins (two-foot leaper). One-foot leapers appear to glide more, e.g., Jordan.

With that being said, I think Gerald is Duke's best athlete ever.

Patrick Davidson. He didn't jump. He pushed the Earth downward.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think it would come down to G and Dahntay Jones (see- Jones jumping over a player for a dunk). Either way, that'd be a great dunk contest.

Challenge! Who did Dahntay jump over?

His most impressive dunk was no doubt the push-up dunk at UVa, but that was much more of a "dunk through" than a "jump over."

Maggette had one of the most impressive put back dunks I've ever seen, and the most impressive I've seen in person. I forget the game, but right at the end of the first half he went WAY up to get a board (it looked like he grabbed the ball above the square) and threw it down. It was sick.

He was also ridiculously ripped for an 18 y.o. (or anyone for that matter).

Hi Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    Did G hurt his wrist in the first half last night or was he anticipating a monster jam on Green and tape it up for protection?
    it's driving me crazy how bad this thread has been hijacked . . .

Does anyone have any info on Henderson's wrist?
    A couple of people mentioned the ice, we all saw the tape - what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Methodistman View Post
    it's driving me crazy how bad this thread has been hijacked . . .

Does anyone have any info on Henderson's wrist?
    A couple of people mentioned the ice, we all saw the tape - what gives?
    No definitive word, but he clearly did hurt it in the first half... haven't heard anything else.
    DukeDevilDeb

verticals

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Challenge! Who did Dahntay jump over?
    Nick(?) Vanderstiff(or something like that )
    Last edited by -jk; 02-07-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: fix quote tag.

Maggette

Maggette's dunk was against Temple in the 99 NCAA tourney. It was unbelievable

Since we're hijacking...

A previous poster mentioned Brickey. His teammate Fresh Phil Henderson (6'4", like our current Henderson) could also get up and throw down. Who here remembers the dunk on/over/through/all-up-in-his-bidness/posterzing Mourning?

That moment was as sweet as Gerald Henderson's left-handed block of Hanstravel, which Bilas said was, when combined with the huge Singler three at the other end, the deciding moment of the game.

G's wrist

He is an awesome leaper, but so was Gene Banks, Robert Brickey, Grant Hill, Corey Magette and Dahntay Jones. More than leaping, G seems to float, and he does it effortlessly, almost as if gravity didn't apply to him.

I believe K has said that G may be the most athletically gifted player he has ever coached. Here's hoping that he stays all four years!

Not Banks

Actually, Gene Banks couldn't really jump worth a crap.
    I'm sure it's easy to just remember how he looked, chiseled and ready to fit into a Superman costume, and assume that he could really jump.

And he was strong, and way ahead of everyone as a high schooler, but his leaping ability was average at best. If he could have played as good as he looked, the '81 team would have been better than 17-15, and he would have had a much more successful pro career.
    Don't get me wrong, he was definitely strong and tough, but he wasn't explosive. I doubt he was blocking Gminski's shots during practice.