Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Maggette had one of the most impressive put back dunks I've ever seen, and the most impressive I've seen in person. I forget the game, but right at the end of the first half he went WAY up to get a board (it looked like he grabbed the ball above the square) and threw it down. It was sick.

He was also ridiculously ripped for an 18 y.o. (or anyone for that matter).
    I heard a story at some point that whenever the players would play pick up games shirts/skins, if their girlfriends were there they wouldn't let Maggette play on the skins team...I got a good laugh about that, and I believe it too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think it would come down to G and Dahntay Jones (see- Jones jumping over a player for a dunk). Either way, that'd be a great dunk contest.
    G gets higher than dahntay. dahntay was a great leaper, but gerald is out of this world. ive seen them both live several times, G is better.

Best Leaper

It's a close one. This may have been mentioned, but I remember one particular play (I think I still have it on tape) Where Maggette's entire arm was above the basket & I remember Dickie V. screaming something like "he was so high, oh my god he was so high".

Almost opposite of an earlier post - I think Henderson's movements can look muted because he is so smooth. It sometimes doesn't look like he is doing much, but he is. Grant Hill was that way.

Anybody remember that kid from Memphis, Michael Wilson?

I think his vert was around 56.

Smile Wilt had a 50 inch vertical and was fast!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    It's a close one. This may have been mentioned, but I remember one particular play (I think I still have it on tape) Where Maggette's entire arm was above the basket & I remember Dickie V. screaming something like "he was so high, oh my god he was so high".
    Maggette was one of the quickest jumpers I have seen.
    As far as highest jumpers, I remember a photo of Guy Rodgers and Wilt Chamberlain in 1963 or 1964 with San Francisco which appeared in Sport magazine,IIRC. Wilt was stuffing on a fast break and his arms were wayyyyy above the rim.Wilt was very fast and athletic (at Kansas, he sprinted a 10.9 100, a 4.4 40, put the shot 56 feet,and won the Big 8 high jump championship 3 straight years -over 6 feet 6 inches). Wilt also had a 50 inch vertical!
    Best regards.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-08-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    G - 50 (Or so I was told @ the last game)
    DMark - 44
    Tay - ???
    A 50-inch vertical is off the charts. There are dozens of guys with verts in the low 40s, but probably only a handful of people in the world with 50+. That said, Gerald seems about as likely to be one of those people as anyone else (with the exception of Stefan Holm... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ3ZcorTF0).

;-)

Hello? Aren't we forgetting someone still on the team?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2007

"high jump of 6-07.5" - oh yeah!

The thread has been hijacked. I'm curious, too, about G's wrist.

However, as long as we're talking about jumping...

How many of the other guys that we're talking about jumped center at the beginning of the game? I know we're small, but we still run two guys four inches taller than G out there in the starting lineup. And G jumps center. And wins a good deal of the tips. I don't remember Magette jumping center. I don't remember Dahntay jumping center. G jumps center. Not only does he get up, he gets up quickly.

It's not really a hijack, since the OP asked about his jumping, it's just not in the thread title. Plus, nobody seems to know anything about his wrist, since there apparently hasn't been anything said publicly about it, so we're left with jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    It's not really a hijack, since the OP asked about his jumping, it's just not in the thread title. Plus, nobody seems to know anything about his wrist, since there apparently hasn't been anything said publicly about it, so we're left with jumping.
    Speaking of which, was it Johnny Green or Sy Hugo Green who could pluck a quarter off the top of the backboard? When asked about whether he might possibly ever jump higher than that, his response was something like "who do you think put the quarter up there to start with?" I may not have the details exactly right, but you get the idea. As I recall, he was about 6'5" or so.

Don't know about the wrist...

but I sure wish G would stop trying to be Kobe and take shots he can hit.

Thumbs up Johnny Green and Bob Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Speaking of which, was it Johnny Green or Sy Hugo Green who could pluck a quarter off the top of the backboard? When asked about whether he might possibly ever jump higher than that, his response was something like "who do you think put the quarter up there to start with?" I may not have the details exactly right, but you get the idea. As I recall, he was about 6'5" or so.
    Good memory,3rd. Johnny Green was only 6' 5'',but he was a great leaper.He averaged over 10 rebounds a year for the Knicks from 1960 through 1964.Even in his 11th season (with Cincinnati) , he averaged 10.8 rebounds a game.
    Sihugo (Si) Green was a decent rebounder as a guard at 6'2''. He was not anywhere close to Johnny in hops.
    In regard to taking a coin off the top of the backboard, the coin was probably a silver dollar. UNC's All-America forward-guard, 6'3'' Bob Lewis ,IIRC,allegedly could grab a silver dollar off the top of the backboard.He was a great shooter and a fine rebounder.Saw him at the 1967 FF.
    Best regards,Duke fans!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Don't know about the Greens but David Thompson could do it which I saw in person at a practice at Reynolds.

Back to G's wrist

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    I heard from a reliable source today that the wrist is sore and stiff, but there is no ligament damage or anything long term. He is expected to play tomorrow and be fine next week for Maryland. He's getting treatment and they hope it feels better tomorrow. In other words, it's day to day.

An interesting story: G's wrist had been hurt and he shot an air ball during the carolina game. At the next time out, the coaches asked him if his wrist hurt too much for him to play. G said "no" and the coaches told him "fine, then don't shoot anymore air balls!". The next play was when G drove the lane for that dunk over 3 carolina defenders.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    Good memory,3rd. Johnny Green was only 6' 5'',but he was a great leaper.He averaged over 10 rebounds a year for the Knicks from 1960 through 1964.Even in his 11th season (with Cincinnati) , he averaged 10.8 rebounds a game.
    He was know as Jumpin' Johnny Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    but I sure wish G would stop trying to be Kobe and take shots he can hit.
    Gerald shoots nearly 49% from the field and hasn't had a single game where he's been cold but kept gunning anyway. I don't why you have a problem with his shot selection.

Nice picture of Henderson soaring

(Hopefully these links are OK...)

http://www.wral.com/sports/image/2405219/

And then, for some comic relief, here are a couple of HansFlopMeister's recent defensive tactics:

http://www.wral.com/sports/image/2405160/

http://www.wral.com/sports/image/2405149/

Enjoy!!

k

Don't forget about.....

Koubek....I saw him get up there a few times...

One time I swear I think I saw him touch the rim!
    No wait, that was Danny Ferry.

Henderson/Smith injuries...

I have a silly question about GH and NS. They are obviously being affected by their injuries and not playing to their potential, and playing through it doesn't seem to be helping. If anything, it's making it worse. Maybe they should take a couple weeks off and get healed up. Maybe come back for the UVA game as a gear-up for the UNC game and the run through the tourneys.

I would think that with the Duke medical staff and two weeks to work with, GH could be 100% and NS at least 90-95% by then. It doesn't seem like they're able to contribute anywhere close to their ability in games anyway at this point. If we are a serious tournament team this year, we should be able to win at least 2 of the next 3 without them. Even if we lost all 3 games (which I don't think will happen), but then with them running at full steam we beat UVA and UNC and then won the ACC tourney, we'd be coming into the NCAAs at full strength with a head of steam.

I love both these guys and their games, but I'd rather have them at full strength for the last run than at 50% or less for all the games. Even if we lose our chance at a first seed, wouldn't it be better to go into the NCAAs at full strength and with confidence than limp in hurt? Just a thought.

That assumes that time off would heal the injuries. I'm not sure any of us know enough about their injuries to know whether that's the case, or whether they're really making them any worse by playing.