Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Paulus Coaching at Duke?

I've heard that he wants to become a coach eventually. While he still has two years to play, do you think he will join the coaching staff after he is done playing? While I love him, he might get drafted but I don't see him in the NBA. I think he would be a great replacement if one of the other guys takes a head coaching job.

I could definitely see him on the bench when his career is over. Although with the recent hire of Nate Dogg as the asst strength and conditioning coach (I think that's the title) I was kinda thinking that might be positioning him to move up if one of the other coaches gets a good offer.

Could happen. I suspect he would/will be an excellent coach. I hope there's a spot beside K down the road that Greg can occupy.

personal opinion

Ain't gonna happen right away, but is OBVIOUSLY on the horizon! I think GP will be an awesome coach... and especially at Duke. I think some seasoning as a Head Coach in Div II -- or asst at some DivI school for a year of two, will prepare him better (...having experienced the diminish from the frenzy and glory of ACC havoc) to come back to Duke with renewed fever and excitement -- and better for that 'lesser' experience. Similar to the current contributions of NateJ and ChrisC.

DUKE takes care of its own -- when they warrant that. Proud legacy to us --- and derision from others. So be it. If you're part of the family and deserve inclusion -- there's a place for you! Personally, I LOVE it. Warm and fuzzy from he.

Let's not give up on his pro career. There's a ton of money to be made internationally.

I'm too optomistic about his pro career. I think he has the possibility to do better than expected, especially if he keeps playing the way he has been lately.

Greg would be a great coach ,I really don't see any room for him in the near future ,but if one of the other guys gets a head coaching job he would be an awsome replacement.But for now lets see if he can win us a championship shall we.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    On the Durham radio broadcast late in the second half, Matthew Laurence said that during a time-out Paulus interrupted K to say that 'anyone on the line, we have their back; they aren't alone up there'. Maybe he's already beginning to show coaching tendencies?

Giving Paulus His Due

I have been as hard as anyone on Greg Paulus on this board, but my god did he play out of his mind last night, as well as other nights. This thread, which may be merged into another (I'm hoping it won't), is all about posters like myself owning up and eating crow. So come out, come out, where ever you are. I'm extremely happy to be doing so. Well done Greg.

Oh and...

To my favorite UNC poster. We had this exchange a few months back... just wanted to remind you of it:

freedevil wrote:
    Originally Posted by hondoheel
    Duke would have won several more games last year with QT at the point.
    Your original post, and all subsequent posts, minus one line about Paulus not being able to guard Rick Majerus, are about you saying Duke would be better had QT run the point. That is laughable. I am the first one to point out that Paulus is a defensive liability, but the thrust of all your posts, particularly the one about assist to turnover ratios, and how they aren't even close, is about offense, now isn't it?

My question to you is, if QT is so much better than Paulus, why couldn't he get minutes over a hobbled Frasor? I mean, his assist to turnover ratio is awesome, so maybe he can't guard anyone either. But we don't really know now do we, since QT only played 6 minutes a game, in only 70% of UNC's games.
    QT didn't play as bad as I thought he would playing major minutes, so I'll give you that. But Paulus destroyed QT on offense and was by no means a defensive liability on the other end.

He really tried to claim that Quentin Thomas was better than Greg Paulus? Seriously? You're not kidding?

That's correct. It even got me laughing, and at that point in time, I was not a Paulus fan. Now, I understand the error of my ways.

Good friend of mine who's a die-hard Tar Heel has blasted Paulus repeatedly, going so far as to say in the days following the VCU loss that he was 'in the bottom half of Division I point guards".

The phone call with him last night was fun.

Last year, I gave the boy crap, I admit it. Because I knew he could play better than he had been playing. Course I didn't know how injured he was. I've believed in him all along, so I'm glad he is living up to his potential (oh God, I sound like my parents) and that everyone else is starting to see what I've seen.

My gut is that he will start at the High School level. The guy is a natural born leader; leading from the sidelines is something that I think he craves. Assistants don't get to do that. Than, a jump to a small program of his own in College. Something in NY State, maybe Army. Just ruminating.

What a terrific leader, competitor, and ballplayer.

I can definitely see him coming back to Duke to coach, maybe as an assistant under Dawkins in the future. Hopefully he'll be able to play in Europe for a decade or so before this becomes a possibility, though. I suspect the difference in salary between playing in Europe and coaching as an assistant is substantial.

All Hail... the Paulus!! I just can't diss anybody who gives the effort that he gives us, no matter how good or bad he might play. He's a Coach K type of player... period. You can ask for more, but if you're getting the best somebody's got game in and game out...!

I bet quite a few teams would trade us a couple bigs so they could have a true point guard named Paulus.

I have done my fair share of yelling at the television when Paulus makes some of his mistakes. But he has been lights out the last several games.

Bravo Greg.

Confidence

At this level- the game is all about confidence - confidence in what you can do well and understanding what you cannot do well. Greg is figuring out his comfort zone and getting used to the speed of the game. I suspect we will see his passing improve as well. The kid works very hard.

Paulus Article & Poll

Check out CBS for a great article on Paulus just being Paulus:
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas...y/10624699/rss

...and a Poll on: What Do You Think Of Paulus
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/6241247