Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A perfect day

A perfect day

4:30 - My son Sam is starting for the mighty Carrington Cugars in the opening round of Durham's Middle School tournament. I can't be there as I am coaching my younger son's rec league game.

5:15 - My wife calls me at the end of the third quarter (im middle school they play four 6 minute quarters). Carrington is down by four and are committing a lot of sloppy turnovers. I'm a little worried, but I have to get my other team ready.

5:30 - My wife calls again. Crrrington winst by 6! The team turns it up in the fourth quarter and wins 45 - 39. Sam finishes with 9 points and 10 rebounds.

6:50 - Dan's (9 years old) game is over. Final score, 25 - 18 good guys. We dominate the whole game (though we only win by 7 as I sit my two best players for the last 3 minutes since it is clear we will win). Dan scores 17 points. He is a beast.

9:00 - The family sits down in the den to watch Duke play the team from hell. Even though Sam is a big NCSU fan he cheers his heart out for Duke. Like all 13 year olds he multi-tasks during the entire game - sending text messages to his friends who are Duke fans, and sending sarcastic IMs to his friends who are UNC fans.

11:07 - A quiet peace settles on the Murray household. The agnostics amongst us are assurred once again that there is a god and that she is a Duke fan.

11:12 - Sam and I gift-wrap one of his Duke t-shirts for him to give to one if his middle school team-mates who is a UNC fan.

11:30 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. - I sleep maybe 2 hours all night. forgoing alcohol I drink multiple sodas during the game. I did not realize that my new favorite soda, Sundrop, is highly caffienated. That, together with the adreniline from the game assures me that I will hardly sleep at all. I don't care.

Isn't it amazing how sports can make you feel a peaceful happiness?

Between the Giants winning the Super Bowl and the #2 ranked Duke Blue Devils beating Hansboiwqnp and the Tar Heels, all seems right in the world and I am strangely at ease. At all times there is a little smile on my face.

That's why I love sports.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

Between the Giants winning the Super Bowl and the #2 ranked Duke Blue Devils beating Hansboiwqnp and the Tar Heels, all seems right in the world and I am strangely at ease. At all times there is a little smile on my face.

A wonderful post that I can completely agree with. HansHx&64Da5 is great but it is a five man game.

This is in chronological order.

1) Have tickets to the UNC/Duke game - find out a week before. about 14 rows up I believe behind the goal at the dean dome.

2) Professor decides to move test back a class (from Tuesday morning to Thursday morning at 8am).

3) Professor has always seemed like a cool guy. Go in to the office, explain how I have tickets, I'm from the triangle, ask in the nicest way possible if I could possibly take test early or late.

4) He tells me I can't take the test at any other time. Except Tuesday at 8 yada yada.

5) Had an even bigger test that Wednesday before Thursday, so couldn't really study early for it. Had to give up the tickets.

6) Pulled an all nighter last night (of course I watched the game on the TV at least and didn't really study). When reviewing the study guide, I notice that one chart dosn't match up with the page number in my book. This was at 3:30 am last night.

7) Realized that I had accidentally bought the wrong book (all though same title, class, just a diff. section) and had been outlining and taking notes on that wrong book all week and all of that night.

8) Decided it was just in my best interest to hardcore study the notes. Ended up finding my missing information on some powerpoint slides from a professor at san diego state thru google. How I found them so easily at 4 am I will never know.

9) Went and took the test, knew every answer, knew almost 100% of the essay - thought for sure I was going to bomb it - so now I'm in a great mood

10) Checking the box score from the game, video recaps, highlights, and of course the good old DBR forum until my eye lids fall.

Dean Dome Park

The Dean Dome is melting in the dark
    It's sweet blue icing flowing down
    Someone left the ball out in the rain
    And I don't think that they can make it
    It took too long and Duke takes it
    An they will never have the recipe again
    Oh NO!

Add one more thing

Add in yesterday's great Football Signing Day and Coach Cutcliffe's arrival in the ACC! It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

Who was the opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    4:30 - My son Sam is starting for the mighty Carrington Cugars in the opening round of Durham's Middle School tournament. I can't be there as I am coaching my younger son's rec league game.

5:15 - My wife calls me at the end of the third quarter (im middle school they play four 6 minute quarters). Carrington is down by four and are committing a lot of sloppy turnovers. I'm a little worried, but I have to get my other team ready.

5:30 - My wife calls again. Crrrington winst by 6! The team turns it up in the fourth quarter and wins 45 - 39. Sam finishes with 9 points and 10 rebounds.

6:50 - Dan's (9 years old) game is over. Final score, 25 - 18 good guys. We dominate the whole game (though we only win by 7 as I sit my two best players for the last 3 minutes since it is clear we will win). Dan scores 17 points. He is a beast.

9:00 - The family sits down in the den to watch Duke play the team from hell. Even though Sam is a big NCSU fan he cheers his heart out for Duke. Like all 13 year olds he multi-tasks during the entire game - sending text messages to his friends who are Duke fans, and sending sarcastic IMs to his friends who are UNC fans.

11:07 - A quiet peace settles on the Murray household. The agnostics amongst us are assurred once again that there is a god and that she is a Duke fan.

11:12 - Sam and I gift-wrap one of his Duke t-shirts for him to give to one if his middle school team-mates who is a UNC fan.

11:30 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. - I sleep maybe 2 hours all night. forgoing alcohol I drink multiple sodas during the game. I did not realize that my new favorite soda, Sundrop, is highly caffienated. That, together with the adreniline from the game assures me that I will hardly sleep at all. I don't care.
    Who was Carrington's opponent? Carrington was one of my schools during my 30 year sojourn in the Durham schools.

Rogers-Herr. Carrington lost to Rogers-Herr during the regular season, making the tournament win even sweeter. But the big dog in the area is Neal Middle School. Undefeated, incredibly athletic, and well coached. They have rolled over everybody.

Destiny

Now just hear me out.... most Dukie's know that the Tar Heel fans call Coach K "The Rat" or "Ratface." Today is the first day of the Chinese New Year and this is the YEAR OF THE RAT. For those who follow Chinese astrology, you can appreciate that we may see destiny of some sort unfolding.... Happy New Year!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Now just hear me out.... most Dukie's know that the Tar Heel fans call Coach K "The Rat" or "Ratface." Today is the first day of the Chinese New Year and this is the YEAR OF THE RAT. For those who follow Chinese astrology, you can appreciate that we may see destiny of some sort unfolding.... Happy New Year!!!!!
    You should post that on IC. That would some heads to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    You should post that on IC. That would some heads to explode.
    Doh! That should be:

You should post that on IC. That would cause some heads to explode.

It's been said before but it really is true: beating those guys helps you look on the bright side of life for a least two or three days.

Yesterday was a perfect day a duke win, davidson win, and a Tar Heel loss.

Today Was A Good Day - Go To Hell Carolina Version

Just waking up in the morning gotta thank God
    I don't know but today seems kinda odd
    No yelling from Roy, oh boy!
    And momma cooked the breakfast with no soy
    I got my grub on, but didn't pig out
    Then I see Hansbrough take his nose and pick it out
    Bleeding everywhere when he traveled and hit the flo'
    And Hendo wasn't suspended another twenty-fo'
    I gotta go cause I got me a H3
    And if I hit the switch, you definitely see me
    Had to stop at a red light
    Looking in my mirror not a jacker in sight
    And the day couldn't be finer
    I got multiple texts saying "Go to Hell Carolina"
    Called up the homies and I'm askin y'all
    Which bar are we watchin basketball?
    Get us on the court and we're trouble
    Last week Paulus almost got a triple double
    Beating UNC like when they had M.J.
    UNC's in hell, today was a good day
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Just waking up in the morning gotta thank God
    I don't know but today seems kinda odd
    No yelling from Roy, oh boy!
    And momma cooked the breakfast with no soy
    I got my grub on, but didn't pig out
    Then I see Hansbrough take his nose and pick it out
    Bleeding everywhere when he traveled and hit the flo'
    And Hendo wasn't suspended another twenty-fo'
    I gotta go cause I got me a H3
    And if I hit the switch, you definitely see me
    Had to stop at a red light
    Looking in my mirror not a jacker in sight
    And the day couldn't be finer
    I got multiple texts saying "Go to Hell Carolina"
    Called up the homies and I'm askin y'all
    Which bar are we watchin basketball?
    Get us on the court and we're trouble
    Last week Paulus almost got a triple double
    Beating UNC like when they had M.J.
    UNC's in hell, today was a good day

The hotness.

I'm not real good at sleeping. The issue for me is usually getting to sleep not staying asleep. If we had lost last night, I would have probably gotten to sleep around 3 am.. At 3 am last night I woke up on the couch, got up and went to bed and slept great until the morning. I don't even remember falling to sleep on the couch (I was sober) I was just so content and tired. We have lots of wins this season but this was by far the best. 9F

A second verse for "It was a Good Day": (this one from Gerald's perspective)

Drove to Cameron and hit the showers
    Walkin’ through K-ville got mobbed by some campers
    ‘Cause just tonight them Heels tried to get nasty
    Saw Psycho T and he traveled right past me
    No flexin’, didn’t even look in a the refs’ direction
    Tryin to avoid the ejection
    Went to Markie’s crib, they was watchin’ College Hoops Tonight
    What’s the haps on the highlight?
    Shoot ‘em up, shoot ‘em up, shoot ‘em up, shoot ‘em
    Launchin’ three’s over Heels and watch us break ‘em
    Pulled down seven, seven and twelve, seven and twelve
    Seven boards in the Dean Dome
    Playin’ help D down low
    Then I threw that shot, and I’m yellin’ “Hendo!”
    Plus we kept Wayne Ellington at bay
    Today was a good day

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    A second verse for "It was a Good Day": (this one from Gerald's perspective)

Drove to Cameron and hit the showers
    Walkin’ through K-ville got mobbed by some campers
    ‘Cause just tonight them Heels tried to get nasty
    Saw Psycho T and he traveled right past me
    No flexin’, didn’t even look in a the refs’ direction
    Tryin to avoid the ejection
    Went to Markie’s crib, they was watchin’ College Hoops Tonight
    What’s the haps on the highlight?
    Shoot ‘em up, shoot ‘em up, shoot ‘em up, shoot ‘em
    Launchin’ three’s over Heels and watch us break ‘em
    Pulled down seven, seven and twelve, seven and twelve
    Seven boards in the Dean Dome
    Playin’ help D down low
    Then I threw that shot, and I’m yellin’ “Hendo!”
    Plus we kept Wayne Ellington at bay
    Today was a good day

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

With apologies to Robert Frost

Stopping by the Dome on a Windy Evening
    Whose dome this is I think I know.
    It was not the real blue heaven though.
    The night the Devils played so well
    And their sent rivals straight to hell.

The shots were many and some were steep.
    Yet Duke has promises to keep,
    And threes to make before they sleep,
    And threes to make before they sleep.