Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Scene on West Campus

I'm pulling an all nighter so I figured a worthwhile break would be informing all you outside Durham what went down on campus tonight.

(For the record, it is just a 6 page paper and only a rough draft at that. Still, poor timing on the professors part).

I watched the game off campus, but pretty soon on campus an impromptu (and unsanctioned) bonfire broke out on Main West's residential quad. A couple benches were thrown in before a fire truck drove up onto main West - literally - to put out the flames. A few overzealous students got hosed down but most took it as a badge of honor (at least those I talked to). Could be an issue in getting the permit re-instated but who knows.

Not long after that everyone scrammed to K-Ville to welcome the team back. As far as I can remember its the only time its happened in my 4 years here. I can imagine its similar to the greetings teams get after making it to the Final Four/bringing the big one home. Players were being mobbed, with high fives and hugs everywhere. No player went more than 20 seconds without being approached by an adoring female fan with a digital camera in hand, hoping for a picture.

The best part was when Paulus came out of Cameron. At first everyone was standing back but when he was out in the open a few people rushed him for a group hug and everyone soon followed suit. Probably 200 people there. A couple line monitors approached Paulus with a megaphone hoping he might give a speech, but he declined (perhaps the only disappointing thing he did tonight outside of that pass in the final minute). After all he put up with last year while playing hurt, it was great to see him getting that praise from fans.

All in all, a great atmosphere. Can't wait to see the greeting the team gets from the rest of you on Saturday.

Talking Thanks for the eyewitness account!

Thanks, VaDukie, for your report.

Is there ANYTHING better than the DBR community?

Oh, yeah, the DBR community the morning after a great win by a great team!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    The best part was when Paulus came out of Cameron. At first everyone was standing back but when he was out in the open a few people rushed him for a group hug and everyone soon followed suit. Probably 200 people there. A couple line monitors approached Paulus with a megaphone hoping he might give a speech, but he declined (perhaps the only disappointing thing he did tonight outside of that pass in the final minute). After all he put up with last year while playing hurt, it was great to see him getting that praise from fans.

amazinggggg! i'm so proud of greg... thanks for sharing.

I'm pulling an all nighter so I figured a worthwhile break would be informing all you outside Durham what went down on campus tonight.

(For the record, it is just a 6 page paper and only a rough draft at that. Still, poor timing on the professors part).

I watched the game off campus, but pretty soon on campus an impromptu (and unsanctioned) bonfire broke out on Main West's residential quad. A couple benches were thrown in before a fire truck drove up onto main West - literally - to put out the flames. A few overzealous students got hosed down but most took it as a badge of honor (at least those I talked to). Could be an issue in getting the permit re-instated but who knows.

Not long after that everyone scrammed to K-Ville to welcome the team back. As far as I can remember its the only time its happened in my 4 years here. I can imagine its similar to the greetings teams get after making it to the Final Four/bringing the big one home. Players were being mobbed, with high fives and hugs everywhere. No player went more than 20 seconds without being approached by an adoring female fan with a digital camera in hand, hoping for a picture.

All in all, a great atmosphere. Can't wait to see the greeting the team gets from the rest of you on Saturday.
    Thank you for sharing. I too am glad to see Greg get what he is due from the fans!!!

Cool the best

Thanks for sharing.

Great report, thanks . . . and I feel like I am twenty again.

The best part was when Paulus came out of Cameron. At first everyone was standing back but when he was out in the open a few people rushed him for a group hug and everyone soon followed suit.

Greg!!!! We want in on that group hug!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Greg!!!! We want in on that group hug!
    It really was a great moment. If you all are familiar with the open space in Cameron in between the five story office building (name is escaping me) and K-Ville, Greg came out to the center of that area. General clapping and cheering ensued until he was rushed - I believe the first guys to go out there knew him personally.

Also to clarify there were about 200 students there to greet Paulus specifically but there were hundreds and hundreds more overall.

I didn't catch much of the other players entrances to the masses. When I first arrived the 3 freshmen were being mobbed and Singler in particular seemed to be jumping around and dancing with the crowd. Huge smiles all around, you could tell how much the game meant to the students and the players and how much mutual appreciation existed between the two.

Quotes in the Chronicle from the players:

Singler in reference to the fire "Pour some gasoline on it! Gasoline, baby!"

Nelson: "It's a great feeling. We competed hard, we competed well. We've got a million students behind us - the best fans in the world."

It really was a great moment. If you all are familiar with the open space in Cameron in between the five story office building (name is escaping me) and K-Ville...

I think we should take up a collection and name it DBR TOWER.

After all he [Paulus] put up with last year while playing hurt, it was great to see him getting that praise from fans.
    I agree.

he is a outstanding PG and I got so tired of the complaints last year. he deserves all of the praise he gets for is hard play and his hard work.

It really was a great moment. If you all are familiar with the open space in Cameron in between the five story office building (name is escaping me) and K-Ville...
    Schwartz-Butters

Why wasn't a bonfire allowed?
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

it wasn't a game in cameron...so a bonfire wasn't supposed to happen...they typically only happen for home games

Thanks for sharing. No matter what happens down the line, and I only expect good things to happen, this has already been a very special year and a special team.

Quote Originally Posted by bigj4194 View Post
    it wasn't a game in cameron...so a bonfire wasn't supposed to happen...they typically only happen for home games
    Is my memory failing me? I thought we did if after at least one of the away games when I was at Duke...I remember the players showing up eventually after the drive back from UNC
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Is my memory failing me? I thought we did if after at least one of the away games when I was at Duke...I remember the players showing up eventually after the drive back from UNC
    Probably pre-Fire Marshal crazyness then....the fire marshal and duke havent gotten along very well in recent years (See seats in Cameron for example) and the last 2 years weve gotten bonfire permits for 3 nights. The night of Duke UNC at Cameron , the night of the national championship, and of course, the night of hte womens Duke-UNC Game.

We burned the benches in the third one last year.

Truth be told, i like this tradition...teams usually only start bonfires after road wins when they were supposed to lose, and we were not supposed to lose.

I just hope the fire marshal's not a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about it, but he will be.

Video of Duke's return, with the embrace of Paulus coming in the final 40 seconds of the video.

What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Probably pre-Fire Marshal crazyness then....the fire marshal and duke havent gotten along very well in recent years (See seats in Cameron for example) and the last 2 years weve gotten bonfire permits for 3 nights. The night of Duke UNC at Cameron , the night of the national championship, and of course, the night of hte womens Duke-UNC Game.

We burned the benches in the third one last year.

Truth be told, i like this tradition...teams usually only start bonfires after road wins when they were supposed to lose, and we were not supposed to lose.

I just hope the fire marshal's not a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about it, but he will be.
    There is an article in today's Chronicle about the bonfire situation. The comments following the article seem to include the following points:
    (1) The students are entitled to make fires after big games.
    (2) They are bright and special and consider it appropriate to break rules they deem wrong.
    (3) Any burning prohibitions across NC (there were high winds that evening) do not apply to them.
    (4) An engineering student said that the fire would go out when the fuel was exhausted. Water wasn't needed.
    (5) This is another example of the conspiracy between the Duke administration and the government in Durham to knock down the students.
    (6) Nobody gets burned or injured at these fires.
    (7) Several Duke parents have written to encourage them to show their school spirit permit or no permit.
    (8) No one sees a problem with a big fire located conveniently near residence halls.
    (9) Everybody knows that a bonfire is dorky like a campfire. What they want to do is not a bonfire.
    (10) Students can take fewer showers to make up for any water used to douse the fires.
    (11) It's not their drought.

Thanks for posting the video Mike Corey...makes me feel like I'm still a student...take it all in, enjoy every minute, you'll miss it when you're gone!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Yes, it occurred in 2001 after the 95-81 victory in Chapel Hell. One of the main stories is Shane and Dunleavy walking on main quad, and Old House P was standing on their bench and, despite the crowds urging them to throw the bench in the fire, was resistant. Shane and Dunleavy walked up to House P and essentially was like "C'mon, do it for us". Sure enough, House P's bench went into the blaze.

This, if you remember, occurred after the impromptu bonfire after "Gone in 54". Our bonfire permits were revoked for a whole 48 hours, but were reinstated in time for the home UNC game (f*#$&@ Haywood). There was a bonfire permit in place for the road victory, though.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA