View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match vs. UNC?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gerald Henderson

    4 1.47%
  • Taylor King

    0 0%
  • David McClure

    0 0%
  • DeMarcus Nelson

    0 0%
  • Greg Paulus

    89 32.60%
  • Jon Scheyer

    33 12.09%
  • Kyle Singler

    51 18.68%
  • Nolan Smith

    0 0%
  • Lance Thomas

    96 35.16%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41

    Thomas

    I picked Thomas. But really, there should be a "TEAM" option!

    I am surprised and very happy that so many people voted Lance!!!

  2. #42
    I voted for lance, because, well he deserves it after playing so far above the potential we've seen. If this was some kind of break-out and confidence building game for his then I'm incredibly happy.

    Still, I thought Singler would be winning, and certainly #2, what's up?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    I voted for Lance Thomas. Hopefully he can build off of this performance and be a legitimate inside presence. His offense was a great addition to our game.
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    I voted for Scheyer for the reasons Jumbo cited. But...

    I don't see much love for Nelson. He went 6-7 at the line and became someone that other teams do not want to foul at the end of a close game. His 13 points were hard fought as his FG's were down a bit. But look at the assists -- 5, which led the team. Plus his defense was really consistent. Plus, at the end his ball handling was very good; I also liked that moment in the first half where he was dribbling straight up the middle, ran into two defenders trying to steal, but changed direstions to regain the ball. He was a stud out there. The Captain deserves some love here.

  5. #45
    After getting to watch the game (recorded), I voted for Lance Thomas. I think the entire TEAM was great, but I think that maybe the MOTM should go to a player that either carries the team on his back and leads, or plays beyond his expectation. I think every player played to what we had hoped for and maybe even expected, except for Lance. I think he played well beyond what anyone expected or even hoped for, especially against UNC. In fact, there were comments hoping that Brian could come in for a few minutes just to disrupt HansB. But, I think Lance and the team did OK. As others have said, I hope Lance builds on this game, and we can look forward to more Lance MOTM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Go Team!!

    As usual, this was another GREAT team effort. Congrats to all! I voted for Lance, since he did an AWESOME job against all odds....or at least against all PsychoT-Rexs.

    It's continually obvious how much these guys love to play together, and how much chemistry and fun there is. Sorry.....no 'true' post player....who gives a crap. Defy the odds, boys! Love every game you play.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    And, to answer my question...

    Scheyer -- Negatives: ....Threw the ball away late, leading to a Danny Green 3 to cut it to 83-78.
    It was Greg Paulus who threw the ball away late, leading to a Danny Green 3 pointer. I just finished watching the game for the second time.
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bahgdad ,Iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post

    It's continually obvious how much these guys love to play together, and how much chemistry and fun there is. Sorry.....no 'true' post player....who gives a crap. Defy the odds, boys! Love every game you play.
    who needs Mcroberts!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It was Greg Paulus who threw the ball away late, leading to a Danny Green 3 pointer. I just finished watching the game for the second time.
    Paulus' bad pass went out of bounds, I believe. Scheyer had his turnover in the final minutes as well. Don't remember if it led to the Green three or not. We had 3 or 4 turnovers in the final minutes that made me cringe. Glad we survived.

    I voted for Scheyer, but I would be accepting of a vote for any of several players:

    Scheyer: great defense, strong performance offensively
    Paulus: PHENOMENAL display from 3-point range
    Singler: strong effort on the boards in the second half, and solid scoring effort in his first UNC game
    Thomas: maybe his best game at Duke. not on par with the other performances, but people on this board tend to try to recognize performance relative to ability in this award.

    Ultimately, I felt Scheyer made a positive impact on both ends of the floor and deserves the award most from last night. But it was a gutty effort by everyone, and I wish I could give portions of the award to different players.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Paulus' bad pass went out of bounds, I believe.
    the paulus pass from the corner in front of the 'hole bench went across court. ellington saved it on one foot, did a spin with a pass to green and green hit the 3
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

  11. #51
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Singler was the man for me. Outside of his other contributions, Singler grabbed 10 tough tough boards. We needed every one of them.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    the paulus pass from the corner in front of the 'hole bench went across court. ellington saved it on one foot, did a spin with a pass to green and green hit the 3
    That's right - I forgot Ellington saved it. I remembered it going right under the rim and heading out of bounds. In any case, Scheyer's turnover was on a separate play late in the game.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    In a truly great TEAM effort, the biggest difference IMO was the fact that UNC only outrebounded Duke by 4. Singler got the biggest rebounds when needed in the second half, and kept UNC at one-and-done.

    Singler really came of age last night (as did Lance). Greg and Jon showed why they are lethal. Nelson and McClure showed great leadership.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    I too wouldn't want to chose one, but sometimes you have no choice. That being the case, Kyle, and here's why, it is summed up in one play:

    Last minute, last key possession, he is imbounding on the sideline near the endline in the backcourt. Everybody is covered, but Kyle knows that that really is not possible. Sees someone, I forget who, at midcourt whose defender is fronting him. Kyle throws a pass that requires his guy to make a play, make a real athletic catch. Is was the play to make and in the moment before the ball was released, Kyle let the receiver know it was coming, and the guy made a very impressive athletic catch seem routine.

    The most under appreciated part of the game, in writing that is. If memory serves, and it often does not these days (I only kid about this), passing and receiving are the most fun things in ball sports.

    If that play occurs on a football field, every body raves about it. Kyle makes them look routine, and, at a key moment, he made that one look routine too. He and his teammate hooked up to occupy the ball and keep it away from the Heels who could do nothing at all about it. Man of the game!

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I too wouldn't want to chose one, but sometimes you have no choice. That being the case, Kyle, and here's why, it is summed up in one play:

    Last minute, last key possession, he is imbounding on the sideline near the endline in the backcourt. Everybody is covered, but Kyle knows that that really is not possible. Sees someone, I forget who, at midcourt whose defender is fronting him. Kyle throws a pass that requires his guy to make a play, make a real athletic catch. Is was the play to make and in the moment before the ball was released, Kyle let the receiver know it was coming, and the guy made a very impressive athletic catch seem routine.

    The most under appreciated part of the game, in writing that is. If memory serves, and it often does not these days (I only kid about this), passing and receiving are the most fun things in ball sports.

    If that play occurs on a football field, every body raves about it. Kyle makes them look routine, and, at a key moment, he made that one look routine too. He and his teammate hooked up to occupy the ball and keep it away from the Heels who could do nothing at all about it. Man of the game!
    I had the EXACT same reaction to that play because Singler made a very difficult pass look easy. It was like hitting a receiver perfectly in stride with a 30 yard touch pass when the defender was only behind by half a step. Then I remembered his dad was QB at Oregon St. Unbelievable athletic genes in that kid and they are on display in so many ways.

    It was right after Paulus called timeout after being double teamed in the backcourt and Singler had to inbound the ball from an awkward spot on the court. Terrific play.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    A Shout-Out For Gerald

    Man, did he play as if he were 6'8" last night or what. Some of those blocks were insane. His timing, and, could you believe he was coming down to get Hansbrough's inside releases. Down.

    I thought that the refs bailed Carolina out on several of Gerald's defensive plays, called em because they expected that a foul would have to happen but none did.

    Gerald's playing as big as he did last night was big. He was big inside all night, and hurt Carolina with his play. Provided needed push-back to their inside game and that was very important.

    I also liked his pull-up J's, one in particular. Second half, going from the right wing slightly away from the basket and towards the circle. David-Thompson like. When he begins to utilize and perfect that part of his game more and more, "Who's gonna stop me. They'll have to call McKee the cop." Steve Frohman circa 1963, Hewlett, L.I.

    It is a nice day, ain't it.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    McLean, VA
    Thomas for the emotion he brought. That block of Green's shot, the way he dove to tip the ball to a teammate, and even the way he dunked the ball after a foul was called...I think it all set the tone.
    Ofcourse, we couldn't have done it without the rest of the team.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wake Forest
    I voted for Scheyer, based on his overall contributions to last nights efforts. The kid just has that... "something". I feel comfortable with the ball in his hands, when he drives, when he shoots a jumper and at the free-throw line.

    However, that being said, last night's win was an overall team win. One component without the others and we don't get the win, just a nice looking stat sheet.

    The thing I was most impressed with was how, for the first time in a number of games against the Tarsqueals, we matched their emotion and energy. UNC started hot but, we didn't get rattled and, as said by Roy, imposed our will on the game.

    Oh, and one last point, that block by G on Hansbrough (towards the end of the game) completely validated last years mistake, IMHO. It was the same type of play, and in watching the replay, the same arm motion he used when he accidentally smacked Hanstravel.
    “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."- Mark Twain

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, Va
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Man, did he play as if he were 6'8" last night or what. Some of those blocks were insane. His timing, and, could you believe he was coming down to get Hansbrough's inside releases. Down.

    I thought that the refs bailed Carolina out on several of Gerald's defensive plays, called em because they expected that a foul would have to happen but none did.
    When you ask who makes Duke tough I feel that Gerald's defensive presence is key. He gets a lot of the tough rebounds and he doesn't get enough credit for his help defense on the other teams big men.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Key West, FL
    I want to write in a vote for Danny Green, for the ridiculous dance he does before home games.
    No soup for you!

Similar Threads

  1. Man of the Match vs. UNC
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
  2. Man of the Match vs. NC State
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM
  3. Man of the Match vs. EKU
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
  4. Who was the Man of the Match
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •