Thread: Singler quote

Singler quote

This gave me a chuckle:

"Guys were telling me, 'You don't know what you missed last year and how good you have it,'" Singler said. "It seems like the guys benefited from it, though."

It's amazing how a freshman can be such a calming presence on the court. Besides that one travel last night (when Hansbrough flopped), I can't think of a single mistake Kyle made...

awwww!
    god, this team is OUTRAGEOUS.
    i loveeee 'em!

Kyle is such a smart player he is really going to be a specail player for us.GO DUKE

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    This gave me a chuckle:

"Guys were telling me, 'You don't know what you missed last year and how good you have it,'" Singler said. "It seems like the guys benefited from it, though."

It's amazing how a freshman can be such a calming presence on the court. Besides that one travel last night (when Hansbrough flopped), I can't think of a single mistake Kyle made...

What was the context of the quote? (I don't get it - what is he referring to?)

Kyle Singler notes

The freshman had 14 points and 10 rebounds in 37 minutes while shooting 5-of-11 from the field, 3-of-6 from long range, and 1-of-2 from the line. He added two assists, two blocks and two rebounds.
    Singler has 15 games scoring in double figures, including three straight and seven of his last eight.
    Singler now has three games with 10 or more rebounds and three double-doubles, as well.
    Singler now has four games with three or more threes on the season and he has hit at least one three in nine straight games, the third longest streak in the ACC.
    Singler matched his season best with two steals

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    What was the context of the quote? (I don't get it - what is he referring to?)
    The article touched on the improved chemistry with this year's team, and I guess the reporter asked Singler about it. Something about that last line struck me as a funny way to put it.

Tux - am I wrong or is he basically sarcastically saying that guys told him "You don't know what you missed [it sucked, and now things are fun]"?

Josh Missing

I see this as confirmation that Josh was a problem. I haven't wanted to believe it, but I can't see any other way for that comment to make sense: "It sucked having Josh on the team last year - you are lucky you missed it" What else is "missing" from last year's team?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I see this as confirmation that Josh was a problem. I haven't wanted to believe it, but I can't see any other way for that comment to make sense: "It sucked having Josh on the team last year - you are lucky you missed it" What else is "missing" from last year's team?
    It is what it is, it ain't what it ain't, don't make it what it isn't

I saw no comment about Josh...don't keep slamming him. Its over...move on!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "You don't know what you missed last year" <-- I just interpreted what's missing as the losing. Kyle didn't have to deal with last year's struggles, in other words. I don't see it as a jab at Josh at all.

As for Kyle, he was superb last night. What allowed Duke's style to win out over UNC's style was the fact that we held our own on the boards, with Kyle spearheading that rebounding effort (and, of course, Duke's style only exists because Kyle allows Duke to spread the court). He was a ball magnet at times, cleanly securing the ball in traffic and not allowing UNC to play volleyball.

Getting back on track...

Check out these Pics from the N&O

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...ry/928949.html

especially #s 15 and 16. I remember this play and Packer comment how no one hustles harder than "Big Number 50." Looks like Singler came away with the ball, so I guess at least one person does.

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    True. I felt the same way a couple of days ago when a reporter asked him something to the effect of whether he was getting smitten by the aura of the Duke/UNC rivalry with the game imminent at Chapel Hill, and he responded (I'm paraphrasing) by saying he's excited but tends to think that he's seen it all to not get too caught up with the aura - he sounded absolutely genuine and incredibly mellow and matter-of-fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    It is what it is, it ain't what it ain't, don't make it what it isn't

I saw no comment about Josh...don't keep slamming him. Its over...move on!
    I didn't take it to be a slam at Josh, but just a reference to how tough last year was in general --- I would assume that K got down-right unpleasant at times last year. (Thus, the "you don't know how good you've got it...")

What is striking about the quote is that Kyle seems to be both laid-back but pretty thoughtful and independent for a freshman. He could have pivoted from that 1st line into some typical jock talk about how the team is really coming together. But he adds: Hey, those guys tell me how much last year sucked but I think it may have done them some good. It turns last season into a positive (for this season) but is also almost the opposite of deferential. (If that makes sense.)

Correction...

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    True. I felt the same way a couple of days ago when a reporter asked him something to the effect of whether he was getting smitten by the aura of the Duke/UNC rivalry with the game imminent at Chapel Hill, and he responded (I'm paraphrasing) by saying he's excited but tends to think that he's seen it all to not get too caught up with the aura - he sounded absolutely genuine and incredibly mellow and matter-of-fact.
    It should read: "...but tends to think that he's seen it all to get too caught up..."