Question Good for you, NCSU!

Was thrilled to see NC State beat VT tonight! (...although as my niece graduated from VT, and my nephew may be attending there in the fall, or perhaps GT, it pains me).

BUT I'm weary of the thugs and the thug play that the expansion schools have brought to the ACC. Yes, I love a hard-hitting physical game as well as the next person, and yet when I watch game-after-game where I feel that players are deliberately out to injure opponents, I draw the line.

In no way, do I limit this opinion to the ACC. And, IMO, the NCAA needs to step in (....duh...have they EVER done that?) and curb this abuse.

I know for years they called the Big East as a 'rough & tumble' conference. But I went to school in the Big East, and so did my sister, and we never experienced this football-is-just-like-basketball type of play.

Currently refs are calling endless ricky-ticky fouls which do NOTHING to stem this tide -- it just makes games tedious to watch.

We need early Technicals and Flagrants and Rejections. Enough. It's gotten ridiculous and someone -- from any team -- is going to have a very serious injury soon. Let's hope we can send a message to the refs and the NCAA and the ACC before it's too late.

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Was thrilled to see NC State beat VT tonight! (...although as my niece graduated from VT, and my nephew may be attending there in the fall, or perhaps GT, it pains me).

BUT I'm weary of the thugs and the thug play that the expansion schools have brought to the ACC. Yes, I love a hard-hitting physical game as well as the next person, and yet when I watch game-after-game where I feel that players are deliberately out to injure opponents, I draw the line.

In no way, do I limit this opinion to the ACC. And, IMO, the NCAA needs to step in (....duh...have they EVER done that?) and curb this abuse.

I know for years they called the Big East as a 'rough & tumble' conference. But I went to school in the Big East, and so did my sister, and we never experienced this football-is-just-like-basketball type of play.

Currently refs are calling endless ricky-ticky fouls which do NOTHING to stem this tide -- it just makes games tedious to watch.

We need early Technicals and Flagrants and Rejections. Enough. It's gotten ridiculous and someone -- from any team -- is going to have a very serious injury soon. Let's hope we can send a message to the refs and the NCAA and the ACC before it's too late.
    What she said!!!!
    Love, Ima

I'm that annoying poster ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    We need early Technicals and Flagrants and Rejections.
    Rejections? There are plenty of rejects on those on those teams, it's true

Seriously, though, I agree, dukemomLA. It seems the expansion teams have led the charge on overly physical play.

--grad_devil

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Disagree

I think this whole "the expansion teams are thugs" thing is overblown. Do those programs have some kids that the ACC bluebloods don't or wouldn't have? Sure. Would the expansions prefer to have some of our kids? You bet. VT in particular is growing and heading in the right direction. VT has the ability and fan support to become a decent basketball program.

I would even go so far as to say that these teams are helping Duke and UNC. The ACC has been considered a finesse team for years and I think that hurts a little come tourney time. The expansion teams play tougher basketball than the bluebloods, they have to. It doesn't mean they play thug basketball. Coach K told Greenberg that VT played really hard and tough basketball after their last game in Cassell, he was very complimentary of VT's program.

If you're going to call Vt a thug program because of Washington's anitcs than with a little perspective you might see how some people see Duke after what Henderson did last year. Me, I prefer to see it for what it is, guys playing hard, intense basketball, and sometimes getting carried away in the heat of the game.

Isolated incident versus repeat offenders...

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    If you're going to call Vt a thug program because of Washington's anitcs than with a little perspective you might see how some people see Duke after what Henderson did last year. Me, I prefer to see it for what it is, guys playing hard, intense basketball, and sometimes getting carried away in the heat of the game.
    There's a big difference between Washington and Henderson, and thus the view of Duke and VT. Henderson has one singular isolated incident. He was punished, and has been no trouble ever since (nor was he trouble prior). Washington, on the other hand, has REPEATEDLY played chippy and thuglike for all four of his years, with any attempts at punishment from Greenberg seeming to have been ineffective. And Washington isn't the only one. If I recall correctly, there have been a few other players in previous years (Gordon? Dowdell? Dixon?) who've shown less than exemplary behavior. It's a bit unfair to lump Duke in with VT based on one solitary event compared to the history that VT has under Greenberg.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    There's a big difference between Washington and Henderson, and thus the view of Duke and VT. Henderson has one singular isolated incident. He was punished, and has been no trouble ever since (nor was he trouble prior). Washington, on the other hand, has REPEATEDLY played chippy and thuglike for all four of his years, with any attempts at punishment from Greenberg seeming to have been ineffective. And Washington isn't the only one. If I recall correctly, there have been a few other players in previous years (Gordon? Dowdell? Dixon?) who've shown less than exemplary behavior. It's a bit unfair to lump Duke in with VT based on one solitary event compared to the history that VT has under Greenberg.
    Its perception. You don't have to convince me. Other people and basketball sites see it differently, and not just the UNC ones. I don't see Washington as a thug. is he immature? Yes. Bad attitude? Maybe. But a thug? I think that word has been thrown round way too much on this site.

The ACC cannot do it on its own, or it will cost us in the NCAA tourney. The NCAA needs to address this countrywide.

I thought this was gonna be a NCSU thread.?.

Don't count the Pack out yet. I'm thinking they're just getting warmed up. We should have our hands full at the RBC.

VT was overachieving though. The win last night didn't surprise me.

If the choice is reduced to finesse vs. thug, I'll take finesse every time.

I grew up in Hampton Rhodes. Most of the great VT players I played against (vick for example), so I've been a VT sports fan since childhood.

But the fact is VT plays like thugs. All their programs. Football, basketball. They all lack class. It starts with the coaches. Why Beamer always gets a pass on letting his players hot dog it like they do, I'm not sure.

My upbringing makes me a fan even if it's against my better judgment.