Strange football recruiting story

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...2Fbreakingnews

This kid chose to play football at Cal over Oregon and announced at a high school assmebly this past Friday his intention to sign a LOI tomorrow. Now both Cal and Oregon say they never recruited him or offered a scholarship.

Somebody is playing a terrible prank if that is what it is.
    ~rthomas

Was hoping for something funny, but this is no where near funny.

My first thought was the kid was playing a bad trick on everyone. Am now hoping it was a recruiter as the kid would never be believed again. And that is no way to start off your adulthood. No winners here.

Question A Hoax?

I don't know... somehow I do not have a good feeling about this story -- or the current 'conclusions' being drawn. Was this family hoaxed? Or...is Kevin hoaxing? I hope somebody keeps following this story, so I can learn more facts. Just curious...

It seems to me that someone (hell, thousands of someones) who follow FB recruiting out West, would know if this kid was ever, at any time, on anyone's recruiting screen.

Yeah, the SI article has a little more (although not a ton) on it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...4/pryor.watch/

Update on the story...

I don't understand why the police in that last linked story are saying that the family has no recourse. Apparently, some slimeball lied to them saying he was representing a college, took their money, impersonated California coaches, and then disappeared. How is that not fraud?

I can understand if it's too late for the kid to sign with another college since the NCAA is its own independent body, but to say that there's no legal recourse just seems crazy. If this story is true, I hope the guy rots in Hades - there is just no excuse for being greedy enough to hurt a high school kid this way.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I don't understand why the police in that last linked story are saying that the family has no recourse. Apparently, some slimeball lied to them saying he was representing a college, took their money, impersonated California coaches, and then disappeared. How is that not fraud?
    I think the 'no recourse' line refers to their inability to locate said slimeball.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post

I can understand if it's too late for the kid to sign with another college since the NCAA is its own independent body, but to say that there's no legal recourse just seems crazy. If this story is true, I hope the guy rots in Hades - there is just no excuse for being greedy enough to hurt a high school kid this way.
    I feel bad for the kid, but how infernally ******* stupid is the family? Just believe the guy, pay him money, and think you are in the program without ever talking to or meeting any of the coaches??? GEEZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    I feel bad for the kid, but how infernally ******* stupid is the family? Just believe the guy, pay him money, and think you are in the program without ever talking to or meeting any of the coaches??? GEEZ.
    The kid did say that he talked with the coach - many times, but I guess it was on the phone. I agree with you. Wouldn't you visit a school, see the facilities, talk with the coach (assistant, even) in person?
    ~rthomas

Well, it turns out the kid fabricated the entire story...

Nevada high school football recruit made up story

Question

Unfortunately, that was my initial reaction to this story -- that the hoax was NOT a scam on the family, but some fantasy perpetrated by the athlete himself. Still don't know if that's correct... but more and more evidence points that way. I still feel for the kid. As I'm sure a lot of us are. It's a b**ch to swallow dreams of a lifetime.

I'm still curious about the 'phone calls' and how his parents were involved or not. Were there phone calls? If so, were the parents present? If not, why didn't they question/follow up?

Still confused.

Question

Unfortunately, that was my initial reaction to this story -- that the hoax was NOT a scam on the family, but some fantasy perpetrated by the athlete himself. Still don't know if that's correct... but more and more evidence points that way. I still feel for the kid. As I'm sure a lot of us are. It's a b**ch to swallow dreams of a lifetime.

I'm still curious about the 'phone calls' and how his parents were involved or not. Were there phone calls? If so, were the parents present? If not, why didn't they question/follow up?

Still confused.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post

Still confused.
    There were no phone calls. Inconsistencies in that story are what enabled the cops to prompt a confession from the kid. He may still face charges of filing a false police report, but the cops seem to think he fessed up soon enough that they didn't have to put in a lot of man hours and they don't seem too upset.

I just can't imagine parents being so clueless about what's happening in their kid's life that something like this could happen. Well, yes I can.

The next question is whether he can play football and whether anyone would want him.

It seems to me that he's unlikely (given the available evidence) to be college material. That wouldn't stop him from trying for a JUCO and seeing how he fares. I mean he is 6-5, 290. Someone at that level will be interested, hoax or no hoax.

At least he'd have some guidance for the future, though I don't know why he wasn't availing himself of the HS coach and guidance people. If he wants to play, he's got to have some grades and complete the NCAA clearance house stuff. Or, maybe an NAIA school would be interested after JUCO success.