A Suggestion for DBR

Here are some quotes from the front page article:

"The unbalanced schedule is a nightmare, no doubt, but isn’t it kind of ridiculous to enter the back part of the season not having even played some teams?"

"It’s kind of sad that Duke, for instance, is almost at the halfway point and hasn’t yet seen Wake Forest or B.C."

DBR writers, you do realize that the first half of the ACC season by definition contains 8 games? And that there are 11 other ACC teams for Duke to play? I don't know what the nicest way to say this is, so I guess I'll just leave it as this is not the most best suggestion I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Here are some quotes from the front page article:

"The unbalanced schedule is a nightmare, no doubt, but isn’t it kind of ridiculous to enter the back part of the season not having even played some teams?"

"It’s kind of sad that Duke, for instance, is almost at the halfway point and hasn’t yet seen Wake Forest or B.C."

DBR writers, you do realize that the first half of the ACC season by definition contains 8 games? And that there are 11 other ACC teams for Duke to play? I don't know what the nicest way to say this is, so I guess I'll just leave it as this is not the most best suggestion I've heard.
    @wander: +1

Not that I necessarily agree with the writers' suggestion but it does make sense. What they are saying is, if we play a given team only once, have it be one the of the earlier games in the ACC schedule (in the first half) since there are at least 10 games in our ACC schedule that are part of a home and home setup (and these 10 games could make up the back end of the ACC schedule).

I was going to start my own thread to agree with wander. That's not a very good suggestion by DBR. It would only force all the home-and-homes to be bunched up even more (5 games on average between rematches, not counting ooc), and we wouldn't play carolina for the first time until next week. Right now Duke's schedule is almost exactly as it should be with the BC and Wake games right near the front of the 2nd half of Duke's ACC schedule. The only oddity is that Maryland falls between the two (easily forgiven considering how tough scheduling must be, can't be perfect).

Honestly, I think most unfamiliar persons would say that the most sensible arrangement would be to play the one-and-dones between the two sessions of home-and-home play. I'm not suggesting that, just making a point, though personally I probably do prefer having more time, not less, between rematches.

Plus, don't forget that you'll totally screw up ESPN's rivalry week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Plus, don't forget that you'll totally screw up ESPN's rivalry week.
    Which means that it ain't gonna happen.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Summie444 View Post
    Not that I necessarily agree with the writers' suggestion but it does make sense. What they are saying is, if we play a given team only once, have it be one the of the earlier games in the ACC schedule (in the first half) since there are at least 10 games in our ACC schedule that are part of a home and home setup (and these 10 games could make up the back end of the ACC schedule).
    That would be ridiculous to set up. Actually, it might even be mathematically impossible, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Which means that it ain't gonna happen.
    ain't that the truth...but i wont start on an espn tangent. i'm focusing all my negativity on hansbrough's face and lawson's ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    That would be ridiculous to set up. Actually, it might even be mathematically impossible, I'm not sure.
    well it's definitely not impossible, though certainly would be a pain to set up. I'd even bet some athletic depts might have to bring in a few people who know a little something about math to find the solution groups.

however, that part about playing 11 different teams in 8 different games does seem a bit less than possible. i'm pretty sure that wouldn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Summie444 View Post
    So you don't see the flaw in that approach as well? In that scenario, what you get is clustered matchups against the same teams. If you play the 6 teams you only play once right off the bat, then it's a new set of teams that you don't play in the first half. And you'll instead play those same teams twice in the span of 2-3 weeks after not playing them at all in the first half. In my opinion, that's just trading one flawed system for another.

The problem is simply that there are too many teams and not enough games to accommodate a complete schedule. There's likely no going back to nine teams, and there isn't likely to be a substantial increase in games, so we're going to be stuck with a flawed system.

we should probably let this topic die, but i just wanted to point out that we play maryland again next wednesday, five days from now, which seems ridiculously soon to me yet it would be the average span between our home-and-home matchups in the proposed system. And due to scheduling issues some rematches would probably have to occur even sooner.