Jims Recruiting Article

Thanks to DBR for posting and to Jim Sumner for writing a very intresting article about Duke recruits. I'm not shocked New Jersey is and has been a recruiting stronghold for Duke. Truth be told having so many recruits and students from the garden state is why a lot of southerners in this state have a dislike for Duke. (Private school we can't afford, our public schools don't prepare us for and has a lot of "them there yankees" attending!)

I was a bit surprised Pennsylvania placed 2nd and I would have thought Illinois placed higher than honerable mention. Me thinks if Maggette had stayed more than one year it might be higher on the list. And Marty Clark should have raised the states status just for making clutch free throws in the Final Four. I also think if Brand had not been hurt his freshman year and / or had stayed beyond 1999 New York would be tops.

Since Jim has already done the research, I'm curious as to what states since 1950 Duke has NOT had a player from? Hawaii? West Virginia maybe? I can name two Canadian players, Greg "oh my God he shaved his head" Newton and Dan "please buck up to me so I can check you into the front row like a hockey game" Meagher. Christian Ast (yes I know he trasfered) was from Germany....Marty is from Lithuania...Deng the Sudan via the UK, Abdelnaby was from Egypt or maybe his parents were I forget. Boateng another transfer was a UK guy. How many countries (by birth) are represented since 1950 by Duke players Jim?

Again, great article Jim and well recieved. It's great having Jim around to research things I wonder about and not have to look it all up myself. (Now watch him message me and tell me to look up the information to answer my own questions!

I think Alaa was from Bloomfield NJ, in terms of his last pre-Duke stop.

Howard Hurt was a top player for Duke in the 50's and I believe that he was from Beckley, West Virginia.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I think Alaa was from Bloomfield NJ, in terms of his last pre-Duke stop.
    Deng was technically also a NJ product, even though he's originally from the Sudan via England.

Alan Williams, from Bill Foster's last recruiting class (with Mike Tissaw, Tom Emma and Chip Engelland), was from West Virginia. Princeton, WV, IIRC. He played a couple of years and then either transferred or just stopped playing basketball.

Howard Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Howard Hurt was a top player for Duke in the 50's and I believe that he was from Beckley, West Virginia.

gw67
    Howard was on the varsity 1959-61 and was the captain for the 1960-61 season.

Comparisons

I remember the football teams in the fifties and sixties being comprised of many players from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Might be interesting to compare the trends in recruiting for the two sports during that period of time.