Keyshawn Johnson just called the Giants the '91 Blue Devils of the NFL

...in reference to our win over the seemingly unstoppable Runnin' Rebels.

Way to go Giants, and way to go Keyshawn for the tip-of-the-hat comparison.

Running Rebels

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    ...in reference to our win over the seemingly unstoppable Runnin' Rebels.

Way to go Giants, and way to go Keyshawn for the tip-of-the-hat comparison.

Yep, ironic he used that UNLV squad as an example but it's a good comparison. Both teams had undefeated regular seasons. Everyone thought both teams were near locks to win it all going into the post season. And both teams were involved in some disciplinary action. The Pats had spygate, and a lot of people thought their title would have been tainted and that they should have ben punished more severely. UNLV was supposed to serve some type of probation, but the NCAA delayed it a year so they could defend their title. Not much has been heard out of UNLV since then. Anyone taking bets on whether this was the last noise the Pats will make for a while?

Whoa! Who knew Keyshawn was such a brainiac?! He's one of my new favorite guys now.

So Eli = Hurley?

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Anyone taking bets on whether this was the last noise the Pats will make for a while?
    I think the Pats will come back strong. I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about 19-0 next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I think the Pats will come back strong. I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about 19-0 next year as well.
    Also worthy of note: the Pats have the easiest schedule next year, at least projected by current strength.

I saw that last night as well and think its a pretty good comparison. Duke was not dominant that year during the regular season either and took out the heavily favored, undefeated beast in the tournament. The big difference is we beat UNLV in the semis, not the final.

So does this make the Giants the favorite to repeat next season?

I saw that as well and nearly jumped off my couch when he said it because I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine in the fourth quarter after the Patriots took the lead.

Keep in mind, I am a Giants fan, so I was looking for any glimmer of hope at that point. But the many similarities struck me and here they are:

- An undefeated team many are touting as the best ever;

- A huge underdog that nobody considered to be a championship contender during the season and most believed had no chance to win the game;

- (as mentioned) the favorite team involved in a potentially distracting scandal;

- the underdog team comes right out and makes a statement at the beginning of the game - Duke scored right off the opening tip and took a lead in the first five minutes of the game - Giants took the opening kickoff, moved down the field, took 10 minutes off the clock and took a 3-0 lead;

- the underdog team surprisingly keeps the game close throughout, leading the team and its fans to believe with each passing minute that victory is possible - it's not going to be rout like many predicted

- the underdog team takes a lead in the second half of the game and all the pieces are falling into place for a monumental upset;

- the favorite, not being undefeated for no reason, comes back and takes the lead late in the game - Pats go up 14-10 with 2:39 left with a TD by Moss; UNLV goes up five with 2:30 left on a tip in by Ackles - creating the feeling amongst underdog fans that the game might be slipping away, e.g., "we were so close but that's why the other team is great."

-huge plays in the last 2:30 all bounce the underdog's way. to wit:

- On third and 10; Giants get 9.5 yards on a pass to Toomer and then get the first down on 4th by a foot.

- Asante Samuel misses a would be interception.

- The Manning almost sack and miraculous catch by Tyree = Hurley nailing the 3 pointer with 2:16 left - ("OK - now we have a chance again, but we still have more to do to come back")

- UNLV shot clock violation (with Anthony on the bench with 5 fouls)

- Completion to Smith down to the 13 yard line;

- The Brian Davis layup and free throw + Laettner rebound and FTs = TD catch by Burress to take the lead. "Still need to withstand a final attempt."

- Brady's two heave-ho's to Moss = Hunt's off-balance heave-ho 3 pointer.

I realize some of those comparisons are stretches but the Tyree catch and Hurley 3 pointer is something that I thought of as the game was happening because I had already made the comparison between the two games in my head.

What a game. What a win. The best part about it is that we don't have to go out tomorrow night and beat Kansas.

Oh, and part of me felt bad for the Patriots losing the chance to make sports history ... until I saw Belichick being interviewed after the game and his post-game press conference. What a jerk. I really hope the spygate thing blows up in his face and he gets suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. If the Patriots taped the Rams Super Bowl walkthrough for example, there will be pretty serious consequences I think, including a suspension. And of course that will just ruin the Patriots' and Belichick's legacy.
    Last edited by mr. synellinden; 02-04-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typos
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

^ Awesome

Unfolding

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Oh, and part of me felt bad for the Patriots losing the chance to make sports history ... until I saw Belichick being interviewed after the game and his post-game press conference. What a jerk. I really hope the spygate thing blows up in his face and he gets suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. If the Patriots taped the Rams Super Bowl walkthrough for example, there will be pretty serious consequences I think, including a suspension. And of course that will just ruin the Patriots' and Belichick's legacy.
    You have made an important point about what effect Spygate can have on the future for everyone associated with the Patriots. I used to enjoy seeing the Patriots play and win. They seemed to be America's team. Now the unanswered questions regarding what is being called Spygate hang in the air. Until those questions are answered, the issue will linger. Some folk ask if films of another team's signals were used to prepare for one game, were similar films of signals used for other games. The truth will eventually be known.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I'll take that bet.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I saw that as well and nearly jumped off my couch when he said it because I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine in the fourth quarter after the Patriots took the lead.

Keep in mind, I am a Giants fan, so I was looking for any glimmer of hope at that point. But the many similarities struck me and here they are:

- An undefeated team many are touting as the best ever;

- A huge underdog that nobody considered to be a championship contender during the season and most believed had no chance to win the game;

- (as mentioned) the favorite team involved in a potentially distracting scandal;

- the underdog team comes right out and makes a statement at the beginning of the game - Duke scored right off the opening tip and took a lead in the first five minutes of the game - Giants took the opening kickoff, moved down the field, took 10 minutes off the clock and took a 3-0 lead;

- the underdog team surprisingly keeps the game close throughout, leading the team and its fans to believe with each passing minute that victory is possible - it's not going to be rout like many predicted

- the underdog team takes a lead in the second half of the game and all the pieces are falling into place for a monumental upset;

- the favorite, not being undefeated for no reason, comes back and takes the lead late in the game - Pats go up 14-10 with 2:39 left with a TD by Moss; UNLV goes up five with 2:30 left on a tip in by Ackles - creating the feeling amongst underdog fans that the game might be slipping away, e.g., "we were so close but that's why the other team is great."

-huge plays in the last 2:30 all bounce the underdog's way. to wit:

- On third and 10; Giants get 9.5 yards on a pass to Toomer and then get the first down on 4th by a foot.

- Asante Samuel misses a would be interception.

- The Manning almost sack and miraculous catch by Tyree = Hurley nailing the 3 pointer with 2:16 left - ("OK - now we have a chance again, but we still have more to do to come back")

- UNLV shot clock violation (with Anthony on the bench with 5 fouls)

- Completion to Smith down to the 13 yard line;

- The Brian Davis layup and free throw + Laettner rebound and FTs = TD catch by Burress to take the lead. "Still need to withstand a final attempt."

- Brady's two heave-ho's to Moss = Hunt's off-balance heave-ho 3 pointer.

I realize some of those comparisons are stretches but the Tyree catch and Hurley 3 pointer is something that I thought of as the game was happening because I had already made the comparison between the two games in my head.

What a game. What a win. The best part about it is that we don't have to go out tomorrow night and beat Kansas.

Neat.

Who do you think was Michael Strahan on the Devils squad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    Neat.

Who do you think was Michael Strahan on the Devils squad ?
    Good question.

My initial reaction was Coach K - because he had been one of the game's greats for many years and a title had eluded him.

I think of the shot of Brian Davis hugging Coach K with one arm, pumping his fist with the other and screaming "We got it for you coach! We got it for you!" And compare that to Strahan and Coughlin grabbing each other with unbridled joy after the game trying to comprehend that they won the Super Bowl.

I was most excited for Strahan - that they got the title for him.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I'll take that bet.
    Well, they do have the weakest schedule in the league next year.

Though it's just as likely that there's a letdown, especially if Belichick is jailed for ongoing Spygate revelations

???

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Well, they do have the weakest schedule in the league next year.

Though it's just as likely that there's a letdown, especially if Belichick is jailed for ongoing Spygate revelations
    Is that the same as fired?