I saw that as well and nearly jumped off my couch when he said it because I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine in the fourth quarter after the Patriots took the lead.
Keep in mind, I am a Giants fan, so I was looking for any glimmer of hope at that point. But the many similarities struck me and here they are:
- An undefeated team many are touting as the best ever;
- A huge underdog that nobody considered to be a championship contender during the season and most believed had no chance to win the game;
- (as mentioned) the favorite team involved in a potentially distracting scandal;
- the underdog team comes right out and makes a statement at the beginning of the game - Duke scored right off the opening tip and took a lead in the first five minutes of the game - Giants took the opening kickoff, moved down the field, took 10 minutes off the clock and took a 3-0 lead;
- the underdog team surprisingly keeps the game close throughout, leading the team and its fans to believe with each passing minute that victory is possible - it's not going to be rout like many predicted
- the underdog team takes a lead in the second half of the game and all the pieces are falling into place for a monumental upset;
- the favorite, not being undefeated for no reason, comes back and takes the lead late in the game - Pats go up 14-10 with 2:39 left with a TD by Moss; UNLV goes up five with 2:30 left on a tip in by Ackles - creating the feeling amongst underdog fans that the game might be slipping away, e.g., "we were so close but that's why the other team is great."
-huge plays in the last 2:30 all bounce the underdog's way. to wit:
- On third and 10; Giants get 9.5 yards on a pass to Toomer and then get the first down on 4th by a foot.
- Asante Samuel misses a would be interception.
- The Manning almost sack and miraculous catch by Tyree = Hurley nailing the 3 pointer with 2:16 left - ("OK - now we have a chance again, but we still have more to do to come back")
- UNLV shot clock violation (with Anthony on the bench with 5 fouls)
- Completion to Smith down to the 13 yard line;
- The Brian Davis layup and free throw + Laettner rebound and FTs = TD catch by Burress to take the lead. "Still need to withstand a final attempt."
- Brady's two heave-ho's to Moss = Hunt's off-balance heave-ho 3 pointer.
I realize some of those comparisons are stretches but the Tyree catch and Hurley 3 pointer is something that I thought of as the game was happening because I had already made the comparison between the two games in my head.
What a game. What a win. The best part about it is that we don't have to go out tomorrow night and beat Kansas.
Oh, and part of me felt bad for the Patriots losing the chance to make sports history ... until I saw Belichick being interviewed after the game and his post-game press conference. What a jerk. I really hope the spygate thing blows up in his face and he gets suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. If the Patriots taped the Rams Super Bowl walkthrough for example, there will be pretty serious consequences I think, including a suspension. And of course that will just ruin the Patriots' and Belichick's legacy.
Last edited by mr. synellinden; 02-04-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Singler is IRON
I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013