Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    The connection is not unnoticed around the country, and the more the info is distributed, the more likely we can get the fence sitters to enroll and the more likely we can compete successfully with the Miami's of the world.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ene&id=3221868

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=265166&pub=1

http://www.sunherald.com/278/v-print/story/343277.html

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_8113439

http://college-football.suite101.com...ives_duke_hope
    Thanks for the links! I found this especially interesting:

"Cutcliffe [...] personally instructed four players who took part in the World Series and Super Bowls in the past 12 months [...] As the former quarterbacks coach at the University of Tennessee, Cutcliffe worked with Todd Helton, who played in the 2007 World Series for the Rockies [...] Cutcliffe became head coach at Ole Miss, where two of his quarterbacks were Eli Manning [...] and Seth Smith, who was a teammate of Helton in the World Series. 'I also recruited Matt Holliday,' Cutcliffe said. 'And (hitting coach) Alan Cockrell was a quarterback for us (at Tennessee).' "

Lots of switching between baseball and football!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Coach Cut, that's who!

For whatever it speaks to his qualities as a coach and as a person, this definitely has to be a pretty good selling point for Duke Football right now. Play it up with the recruits, fellas!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Re: those who mention the preference for "Coach Cutcliffe" over "Coach Cut," I generally agree with you that, while an easy and obvious nickname, I don't especially like it. Until I hear more definitively that he wants to be called something other than Cutcliffe, or that the team has taken to calling him a different nickname...etc., I'll try to stay with Coach Cutcliffe.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: those who mention the preference for "Coach Cutcliffe" over "Coach Cut," I generally agree with you that, while an easy and obvious nickname, I don't especially like it. Until I hear more definitively that he wants to be called something other than Cutcliffe, or that the team has taken to calling him a different nickname...etc., I'll try to stay with Coach Cutcliffe.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    While on the topic of nicknames (I completely agree by the way), it's important to note that it should be "Go Duke Blue Devils!!!" after the "Go Duke!" Unlike other teams (Tennessee) we don't differentiate betweens women's and men's sports. We're all Blue Devil's here! I believe there was another thread on this point recently.

I seem to recall his former players referring to him as "Coach Cut" but I'm happy to call him whatever he prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    He had the Mannings. I know sports fans like to shorten names and make nicknames,but to me Coach Cutliffe sounds better to my ears than Coach Cut.
    It might sound better to your ears, but his name is actually Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    It might sound better to your ears, but his name is actually Cutcliffe
    Hopefully, at the end of '08, we'll be able to call him COY and call it a day.

Works for me

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...uke.php?page=1

“Cutcliffe emerged as a natural fit. The man known by his players as "Coach Cut" developed Peyton Manning during his first stint with the Volunteers, then coached Eli Manning at Ole Miss”

Just like in this article and in several other posts on the subject, I have seen several former players ( Peyton and Eli Manning, Heath Shuler) and Archie Manning refer to Coach Cutcliffe as “Coach Cut”. I assume that is what he likes to be called and that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    While on the topic of nicknames (I completely agree by the way), it's important to note that it should be "Go Duke Blue Devils!!!" after the "Go Duke!" Unlike other teams (Tennessee) we don't differentiate betweens women's and men's sports. We're all Blue Devil's here! I believe there was another thread on this point recently.
    Actually, my standard sig begins "Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..." I shifted it specifically today given this evening's matchup.

Nevertheless, as i wasn't planning on changing my Wednesday sig to "Go Gentleman Devils!!!!!!!!!", it remains a fair point as regards unnecessary gendering of our Devils. :0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question

Was Coach at the game? Did the Mannings invite him, perhaps?

For the record...

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Was Coach at the game? Did the Mannings invite him, perhaps?

I have spoken to several coaches in several different sports at Duke and they ALL call him Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    I have spoken to several coaches in several different sports at Duke and they ALL call him Cut.
    I'm willing to go with "Cut". I didn't question though. You've got me mixed up with someone else. I wondered if he was able to see his former pupils live.

Sorry capt.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I'm willing to go with "Cut". I didn't question though. You've got me mixed up with someone else. I wondered if he was able to see his former pupils live.
    LOL, I hit the quote button instead of the reply button...my bad

I thought I made a mistake once myself, but I was wrong.