Thread: Digger . . .

Digger . . .

In the recent past, ESPN commentators (especially our fellow-Dukie Jay Bilas) have taken heat in this forum (in my opinion, with some justification). Jay, however, is a model of reasonable thought, sound analysis, excellent experience, and clear articulation in comparison to Digger Phelps.

Phelps' coaching record was good, but certainly not spectacular (393-197 over twenty-years at Notre Dame, with one Final Four appearance). However, I will never forgive him for intensionally insulting Duke's 1977-1978 team on the eve of the Duke/ND National Semifinal game (which, I am sure, all DBR members will recall we won, 90 to 86). Notre Dame went to the "consolation game" against Arkansas and lost there, too, 71-69.

On the evening before Duke defeated Notre Dame, Phelps vociferously indicated that Duke had no legitimacy in the Final Four and, warming to the subject, further stated that the ACC was highly overrated.

I was concluding my MBA at Duke that Spring, and I have never forgotten Digger's ridiculous pronouncements and flagrant disrespect. Why ESPN continues to make him a prominent part of their college hoops lineup is simply beyond me.

Someone agrees

Did you watch College Game Day? There was UCLA student holding a sign behind Digger that read, "Digger is still a WIMP" during the entire broadcast. You would have loved it.

When someone makes their signature the ability to match a tie with a highlighter, they might be a used-car salesman and not a talented and trustworthy analyst.

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Phelps' coaching record was good, but certainly not spectacular (393-197 over twenty-years at Notre Dame, with one Final Four appearance). However, I will never forgive him for intensionally insulting Duke's 1977-1978 team on the eve of the Duke/ND National Semifinal game (which, I am sure, all DBR members will recall we won, 90 to 86). Notre Dame went to the "consolation game" against Arkansas and lost there, too, 71-69.

On the evening before Duke defeated Notre Dame, Phelps vociferously indicated that Duke had no legitimacy in the Final Four and, warming to the subject, further stated that the ACC was highly overrated.
    My memory does not quite gibe with yours ... although I'm not going to defend Digger. But I was in St. Louis for the 1978 Final Four and I don't recall anything negative that Digger said or did during that weekend to diss Duke or the ACC.

I think your are confusing some of the things Digger did at other times to trash Duke and the ACC ---

-- Our problems with Digger started in the spring of 1977 when Philadelphia prep sensation Gene Banks came down to Duke and Notre Dame. Digger couldn't believe that Gene picked Duke over his program. Even after Banks committed to Duke, he continued to recruit the kid hard, telling Banks, "Choosing their program over ours is like choosing a Volkswagon over a Cadillac."

-- Digger's jibes at the ACC came on a number of occassions. A lot of it was directed at Billy Packer, who (believe it or not) was perceived as an ACC homer in those days -- when Indiana reached the 1976 title game, facing Big Ten foe Michigan, Knight started his postgame press conference by turning to Packer and saying, "Where's the ACC, Billy?"

I think Phelps was frustrated by Duke's success, feeling that Duke ended up with a lot of guys that he normally would get. Banks wasn't the only one -- Digger was a finalist for Dawkins and Alarie; he recruited Danny Ferry HARD. In the end, as Coach K's program rose and his faded into obscurity, I think there was a lot of resentment and a lot of bitterness. It didn't help that K beat him something like seven of eight times head-to-head.

But Digger was too political to give Duke any locker room material in St. Louis ... at least that's the way I remember it.

A Digger moment I'll treasure

My sophomore year (1989-90), I was there to see Duke play Notre Dame, seated just a few rows behind the ND bench. I had always disliked Digger--in fact, as someone born and bred on Michigan and Miami football, I wasn't a big fan of anyone remotely related to Notre Dame. Early in the game, Digger called a time-out, and he was chewing out LaPhonso Ellis, who had made a turnover or committed a touch foul. I yelled out, "Don't blame him, Digger! He has a terrible coach!" He whipped his head around and glared at me, and I swear he cupped one hand over another and shot me a bird. My finest moment as Duke fan.

I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by SNewman 92 View Post
    My sophomore year (1989-90), I was there to see Duke play Notre Dame, seated just a few rows behind the ND bench. I had always disliked Digger--in fact, as someone born and bred on Michigan and Miami football, I wasn't a big fan of anyone remotely related to Notre Dame. Early in the game, Digger called a time-out, and he was chewing out LaPhonso Ellis, who had made a turnover or committed a touch foul. I yelled out, "Don't blame him, Digger! He has a terrible coach!" He whipped his head around and glared at me, and I swear he cupped one hand over another and shot me a bird. My finest moment as Duke fan.
    What a great story! I was at that game as well; it was loads of fun. My favorite memory of the game was the "Squat, squat!" chant (it replaced "sit, sit") that changed to "Roll over, roll over!" after Digger squatted.

Didn't one of their players get an "Ice, ice, baby!" chant during the same game due to a striking resemblance to Vanilla Ice?

I had forgotten the "Vanilla Ice" chant. . .

. . .that was hilarious! I remember Abdelnaby was unstoppable in that game. And that Dick Paparo threw his share of T's at the Duke Bench. A great season. . . .until I convinced all my friends that CIS would be the perfect place to watch the championship, the center of the basketball universe, etc. . .I don't think they spoke to me for two days.

Quote Originally Posted by SNewman 92 View Post
    Early in the game, Digger called a time-out, and he was chewing out LaPhonso Ellis, who had made a turnover or committed a touch foul. I yelled out, "Don't blame him, Digger! He has a terrible coach!" He whipped his head around and glared at me, and I swear he cupped one hand over another and shot me a bird. My finest moment as Duke fan.
    Very nicely played.

Digger stopped by the frat section just to shoot the breeze after the ND game in CIS in '72, allowing as how he was good buddies with Jeff Mullins. Seemed like an unusually affable guy, but maybe a bit of a chucklehead. This latter impression has been confirmed over the years listening to his "analysis." I'm pretty sure he isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier (thanks to TNTDevil for that metaphor). I mean, I really think ESPN could do as well by hitting the streets of Bristol and bringing in some vagabond to share his thoughts on the night's games.

Giving Digger his due

Several years ago in one of our December games at The Meadowlands, "we" were sitting several rows behind Digger's broadcast platform in the endzone. We constantly reminded him of "1978", where we beat his Kelly Tripuka team in the Final Four semi's. He eventually, reluctantly, waved to us and shook his head up and down, and we could see him mouthing the words "I know, I know".

It's fun to rag on Digger. And he's a big enough man to take it graciously.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Very nicely played.

Digger stopped by the frat section just to shoot the breeze after the ND game in CIS in '72, allowing as how he was good buddies with Jeff Mullins. Seemed like an unusually affable guy, but maybe a bit of a chucklehead. This latter impression has been confirmed over the years listening to his "analysis." I'm pretty sure he isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier (thanks to TNTDevil for that metaphor). I mean, I really think ESPN could do as well by hitting the streets of Bristol and bringing in some vagabond to share his thoughts on the night's games.
    A fun parlor game is to listen to Digger, envision his words on paper, then read them. Very trippy stuff.

Digger Phelps: Walking Non-Sequitor

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    A fun parlor game is to listen to Digger, envision his words on paper, then read them. Very trippy stuff.

Digger Phelps: Walking Non-Sequitor
    Sounds like drinking vinegar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Why ESPN continues to make him a prominent part of their college hoops lineup is simply beyond me.
    cause his highlighter always matches his tie. duh.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I can't believe that Kornheiser's moniker of 'Tielighter' never really took off.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    i'm glad i'm not the only one who notices that.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My memory does not quite gibe with yours ... although I'm not going to defend Digger. But I was in St. Louis for the 1978 Final Four and I don't recall anything negative that Digger said or did during that weekend to diss Duke or the ACC.

I think your are confusing some of the things Digger did at other times to trash Duke and the ACC ---

-- Our problems with Digger started in the spring of 1977 when Philadelphia prep sensation Gene Banks came down to Duke and Notre Dame. Digger couldn't believe that Gene picked Duke over his program. Even after Banks committed to Duke, he continued to recruit the kid hard, telling Banks, "Choosing their program over ours is like choosing a Volkswagon over a Cadillac."

-- Digger's jibes at the ACC came on a number of occassions. A lot of it was directed at Billy Packer, who (believe it or not) was perceived as an ACC homer in those days -- when Indiana reached the 1976 title game, facing Big Ten foe Michigan, Knight started his postgame press conference by turning to Packer and saying, "Where's the ACC, Billy?"

I think Phelps was frustrated by Duke's success, feeling that Duke ended up with a lot of guys that he normally would get. Banks wasn't the only one -- Digger was a finalist for Dawkins and Alarie; he recruited Danny Ferry HARD. In the end, as Coach K's program rose and his faded into obscurity, I think there was a lot of resentment and a lot of bitterness. It didn't help that K beat him something like seven of eight times head-to-head.

But Digger was too political to give Duke any locker room material in St. Louis ... at least that's the way I remember it.
    Great stuff!