Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stoking the Henderson hatred fires

A Raleigh web site is stirring up the emotions of the Dean Dome fans who apparently want some more blood on the court next week.

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2382570/

(Be sure to read the viewers' comments at the bottom of the story.)

For my own $0.02 worth, I saw the play as Henderson doing everything in his power to block the put-back when the game was already a "done deed" in the final seconds of play. Frustrated? angry? (probably yes to both), dirty player?...of course not!!

But in the meantime, all ACC fans have to put up with watching HansTravel regularly knock opposing players left and right, frequently first taking a couple of hops, and then waiting to be "awarded" some more free throws. It's funny how there is absolutely no awareness by the unc fans of the great disparity of free throws their team now has versus the other teams they play.

Oh well...I just hope the upcoming Duke/unc game is called reasonably appropriately and the Dean Domers will not riot.........

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    It's funny how there is absolutely no awareness by the unc fans of the great disparity of free throws their team now has versus the other teams they play.

k
    But, how could that be when its DUKE that gets every call!?!?!?!?!?

A Raleigh web site is stirring up the emotions of the Dean Dome fans who apparently want some more blood on the court next week.

It has become legend now that Gerald hit him with an elbow, which that story perpetuates, but he didn't. It was a forearm. You can watch it in slow motion here. It is also clear that he would have hit the ball had someone (Johnson?) not blocked it first.

Not Very Suprising

When you consider that the print and broadcast media in North Carolina are (reputedly) dominated by UNC grads, these kind of stories are to be expected. Sounds like some UNC fans have a definite desire for revenge of one stripe or another. I just hope the game doesn't degenerate into anything ugly. However, as we've already seen, this year's team will not back down from ANYBODY.

And Another Thing

As we've seen this year, not only are opposing fans going to scream about every call in an effort to influence the refs, but opposing teams will try to punk us whenever possible. The toughness of this year's team cannot be overemphasized. So, Tar Heel fans looking for a fight - better be careful what you wish for.

Smile Nate and C'well

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    As we've seen this year, not only are opposing fans going to scream about every call in an effort to influence the refs, but opposing teams will try to punk us whenever possible. The toughness of this year's team cannot be overemphasized. So, Tar Heel fans looking for a fight - better be careful what you wish for.
    I'm wondering if the presence of Nate might have just a little to do with the team's 'tude.

I'm wondering if C'well's presence on campus might also be positively affecting some of the players. I sure think so.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 02-02-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: deleted excess punctuation

hanstravel and refs

(Be sure to read the viewers' comments at the bottom of the story.)

For my own $0.02 worth, I saw the play as Henderson doing everything in his power to block the put-back when the game was already a "done deed" in the final seconds of play. Frustrated? angry? (probably yes to both), dirty player?...of course not!!

But in the meantime, all ACC fans have to put up with watching HansTravel regularly knock opposing players left and right, frequently first taking a couple of hops, and then waiting to be "awarded" some more free throws. It's funny how there is absolutely no awareness by the unc fans of the great disparity of free throws their team now has versus the other teams they play.

Oh well...I just hope the upcoming Duke/unc game is called reasonably appropriately and the Dean Domers will not riot.........

k
    you really must be dreaming with that last hopeful line...(gonna have to stop posting for a while and get some work done and savor my 'Los designation.)
    Last edited by devildeac; 02-02-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Boozer note

closed fist?

There was no closed fist!! I dont know what play these people were watching? Its obvious he was going for the ball but it got blocked. I cant lie though, it was nice to see hansblah bleed!! GH needs to go out and drop 30 points on UNC to make them shutup!!

I think Gerald is going to get it from the fans but I have no doubts that Krzyzewski, the coaching staff and Demarcus will make sure Gerald knows every single person on Duke's bench has his back and that he's not going into this alone.

Personally, I think Gerald will privately relish the attention he's going to get Wednesday night and I have a hunch it's going to help elevate his play; one need only look at Mr. Redick as an example of how you can use that to your advantage. There's nothing like going into a road venue where the opposing crowd basically views you as the villain. This isn't something Gerald should shy away from and I don't think he will.

Lost in the pandemonium last March was the fact that Gerald had arguably the best game of his freshman year, posting 16 points and 6 rebounds on 8-14 from the field (57&#37. IMO, UNC has nobody that can consistently stay in front of him on defense. I expect Gerald especially to have a great game.

phooey!

Im soooo tired of hearing about this non-story.

Henderson meant to give a hard foul and had a play on the ball... it just worked out very unfortunately.

IF IF IF it was it was a hatchet job; (I am unconvinced) it would have happened before the game was essentially over and Tyler wouldnt have gotten up.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I cant lie though, it was nice to see hansblah bleed!!
    Let's not relish injuries to opposing players, now. To be fair, even if you think G is getting a bum rap, Hans DID take a really, really bad shot (on a pretty violent-looking move by G) and had to wear the Hannibal Lecter mask for a while. I still don't understand why K decided to make those overtures about G being the victim. Not intentional, in my view, but still hard and pretty devastating.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-02-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: fix quote tag. Use the Preview feature!

Let's not relish injuries to opposing players, now.
    Unless they deserve it, and AFAIK Hansbrough didn't.

“I was shocked, because you saw the blood, and the red, and it kind of got you going."

Okay what's light blue and red all over?

No, not Tyler Hansbrough....a smurf in a car wreck.

I cannot wait until we beat them on Wednesday. I can't stand Hansbloja and his big geeky I saw a ghost mug with those big ol beedy Great Horned Owl eyes and his demonstrative goofy gait. Ok I feel better now.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by heath_harshman4 View Post
    But, how could that be when its DUKE that gets every call!?!?!?!?!?

Well thats true in a way because they never call traveling on Beakerbrough, they will call it if Zoubs thinks about touching the ball.

Thank you ArtVandelay you at least approach this reasonably. If it were Paulus on the receiving end of that blow you all would be equally as upset. You sound like a bunch of whiners. Read your own posts and you will see why everyone else hates Duke.

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I cannot wait until we beat them on Wednesday. I can't stand Hansbloja and his big geeky I saw a ghost mug with those big ol beedy Great Horned Owl eyes and his demonstrative goofy gait. Ok I feel better now.
    as do i

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Well thats true in a way because they never call traveling on Beakerbrough, they will call it if Zoubs thinks about touching the ball.
    any chance we're gonna see zoubs on wed?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    as do i

any chance we're gonna see zoubs on wed?
    None whatsoever. He practiced during warmups, but left early during the second pregame warmup session, and sat near the end of the bench (beyond the walkons) during the entire game.

The chance K would throw him into the game as his first game, when he wouldnt throw him in at the end of the miami game (whereas, jordan got about a minute), are zilch.

Especially with us seemingly going strong without him.

That's too bad, because I think Zoubek - especially in his first few games back - will be valuable in eating minutes/giving fouls against teams with talented frontlines. Obviously, though, the long haul is more important here, and I'd rather have Zoubek strong against, say, UCLA than spot duty in a regular season game against UNC.