Seeking advice on concussions

One of my daughter's HS teammates suffered a concussion 6 weeks ago, playing hoops. Ninth grade JV. She's no better and I talked with her father tonight; she's being evaluated by a Neurosurgeon, but nothing has changed. She can't take her exams because she can't retain anything. They're concerned, as am I. Dr. Peck, here in Richmond, is her doctor. I willingly accept any advice. I haven't been over here in forever, but will check back often, now. I can be reached on my cell at 804-920-6097. I just want to help a family that I care for. Please call if you have any advice, if I don't answer, leave a message and I'll return the call. I do try to screen calls if unkown. Thanks, Chuck Taylor, Class of '85 (if you didn't already know

A friend of mine had a similar incident falling off a horse. Her memory loss cleared up gradually after a few weeks. Sometimes it takes longer for the bruised tissue to heal. I hope everything works out.

My prayers are with your friend.

Purely anecdotal

My husband, back in his young and foolish days, flipped head over his handlebars riding his bike down a very steep hill. He broke his back, smashed his helmet, badly bruised his brain (and had some concerning swelling). The neurologist at the U of Washington asked to keep the bike helmet, because it was the most smashed helmet he'd ever seen where someone ultimately walked away from the accident.

Hubby doesn't remember the first week after the accident, had short-term memory loss for several months (had to take a leave of absence from college for a term), but was ultimately fine. In fact, he claims that his memory ended up being better than it was before.

Fingers crossed that this young lady pulls through with an even better outcome!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I haven't been over here in forever, but will check back often, now.
    DT, condolences. Just wanted to say sorry and best wishes to the young lady. It is good to see you in these parts again despite the circumstances.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Is it definitely a concussion? I had similar symptoms after a car accident last year and what they originally thought was a concussion turned out to be a bruised brain-stem (similar symptoms). In my situation I was a mess for a couple of weeks until I caught a nasty dose of the flu and spent close to a week in bed. When I finally got up again after the flu the other symptoms were gone. I know this sounds simplistic, but perhaps a solid week in bed (sleeping rather than reading or watching TV) might be the best thing for her.

Several things to consider

I am so sorry to hear about the young woman and the difficulty that she is having. My best to her and her family.

Couple of points.

Although I suspect that her physician (neurosurgeon) may be doing these things (but one can never be sure), the exact nature of her "memory" problems needs to be addressed as time goes on. If she cannot retain new information, then it sounds like a "short-term memory" problem, which, of course, would manifest itself in variety of ways, not the least of which would be retention of information ("it never gets into long-term memory, thus there is nothing to access"). The fact that she is having difficulty "concentrating" is strongly suggestive. This may improve over time, it is true, but you can't always count on this.

This isn't the place to discuss all the implications and possibilities, but that said, make sure that the exact nature of the "memory/concentration" problems are being addressed. This means that "tough" questions need to asked of her physicians...especially if she does not improve. What exactly has been examined? MRI's and CAT scans don't always show subtle brain damage.

Does she remember the accident? Can she remember "old memories?"

If things don't improve, what course of action seems called for?

In other words, ask tough questions of the physician! It's the right of the patient!!! It's her body and life!!!

Clearly, she experienced a rather severe "concussion" (all are severe, however). Unfortunately, "concussion" is a rather benign term that essentially reflects brain injury/damage. Moreover, it sounds like she experienced a rather severe one...and that is disturbing in terms of what might have been damaged. This is not to say that time may not heal things, but again, if things don't improve, ask those tough questions and, if necessary, consider getting other opinions.

I hate the term, but whatever you and family do, be proactive!!!

Finally, again, I wish her and her family the very best!!!

I have no idea if it's relevant to the issues at hand, but this past week I saw a program on brain research that was being done to try to still the portion of the brain in an obese person that was thought to control eating urges. They placed a small probe into the brain while the person was awake, and proceeded very slowly. When they reached one particular spot, memories flooded into the person's awareness of events long forgotten. Studies have since been done and there is a considerable body of evidence that they found something there.

Your friend's family might also consider taking their daughter to a Doctor of Osteopathy who specializes in cranial sacral work. Very non intrusive and soothing; works with misalignments of the bones in the skull and with the cranial sacral fluid, which they claim has a pulse, the manipulation of which can help injuries to drain, strained tissue to readjust, etc. No, this would in no way impact on the appropriate pursuit of assessments and treatments by other type docs, as others with expertise have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I have no idea if it's relevant to the issues at hand, but this past week I saw a program on brain research that was being done to try to still the portion of the brain in an obese person that was thought to control eating urges. They placed a small probe into the brain while the person was awake, and proceeded very slowly. When they reached one particular spot, memories flooded into the person's awareness of events long forgotten. Studies have since been done and there is a considerable body of evidence that they found something there.
    limk to the story greybeard referenced - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18582361

Have you looked into contacting someone at NIH, which isn't too far from VA?

best of luck!