Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Duke vs. Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Post your thoughts about the Saturday afternoon matchup with Miami here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Stop Jack McClinton and you stop Miami. Last year, Duke won 85-63 in Coral Gables, and McClinton was held to 5 points on 1-6 shooting in 22 minutes of action. He also committed three turnovers and fouled out. We need to do the same this year.

While we are at it, it would be nice to shutdown Asbury as well. The 6'7" 215 guard/small forward had 19 points in 38 minutes in last year's game. He was 2-5 from 3-point land.

I'm looking forward to the game and expect Duke to win by double digits but the first half of the State game demonstrated that basketball games do not follow scripts. I'm anticipating strong performances from Scheyer, Smith, and King who were subpar against State.

Tip-off is set for 0530 Sunday morning Tokyo Standard Time and the Japan Chapter of the Duke Fan Club will be open for business at 0500 so stop by for a cup of coffee.
    Bob Green

Anthony King

Having dealt with quite a few good front court players (Blair, Mays, Gist and Osby, and Hickson), I feel more comfortable about our prospects against Anthony King.
    I agree that if McClinton is well defended and Asbury is contained our chances are looking pretty good.

Glad to see this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Stop Jack McClinton and you stop Miami. Last year, Duke won 85-63 in Coral Gables, and McClinton was held to 5 points on 1-6 shooting in 22 minutes of action. He also committed three turnovers and fouled out. We need to do the same this year.

While we are at it, it would be nice to shutdown Asbury as well. The 6'7" 215 guard/small forward had 19 points in 38 minutes in last year's game. He was 2-5 from 3-point land.

I'm looking forward to the game and expect Duke to win by double digits but the first half of the State game demonstrated that basketball games do not follow scripts. I'm anticipating strong performances from Scheyer, Smith, and King who were subpar against State.

Tip-off is set for 0530 Sunday morning Tokyo Standard Time and the Japan Chapter of the Duke Fan Club will be open for business at 0500 so stop by for a cup of coffee.
    There were a lot of people talking about Duke/UNC a little prematurely. Saturday's game is what the focus needs to be on at this time. I am heading out Sunday morning early and will be prancing around Hawaii for three weeks so don't know if there will be a chance to see any games. Here's hoping the Duke will have good fortune during that time and remain in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    There were a lot of people talking about Duke/UNC a little prematurely. Saturday's game is what the focus needs to be on at this time. I am heading out Sunday morning early and will be prancing around Hawaii for three weeks so don't know if there will be a chance to see any games. Here's hoping the Duke will have good fortune during that time and remain in the top 10.

Amen... I havent seen much of miami this year (I went to the game in miami last year though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I am heading out Sunday morning early and will be prancing around Hawaii for three weeks so don't know if there will be a chance to see any games.
    I lived in Hawaii for three years and can assure you they have TV. The time zone difference is challenging at times. Enjoy your trip.
    Bob Green

The key will be containing McClinton and making sure that King/Collins/Graham don't kill us on the boards. If we do those two things, Miami just doesn't have the weapons to compete with us.

Miami is a 3-pt oriented team, so there's always the chance that they could heat up. They have three pretty decent shooters from out there. But 3-pt defense has generally been a strength of ours.

Once again, we should win this by double digits.

A wish for Duke today.

The #1 thing Duke has to do today is to make the mental decision to come out and play Duke basketball (all the things that make it up) for both halves today. Duke must bust it right from the opening tip-off.

This will set the tone for today, and we sorely need it going forward. Keep rolling like we have been, playing for one-half versus Maryland and also NC State, and we're in total trouble going to the hated Holes Wednesday.

THROTTLE UP TODAY DUKE!

BEAT MIAMI!

dth.

Question No Elmore, no Patrick, no Packer ... PLEASE!!!!

Who's calling the game on ABC today? All we know is:

IT CAN'T BE PACKER!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it Musbuergererererr?
    Could it be ELmore?
    Could it be Patrick?
    Could it be ... Jay?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Lavabe,

No matter who it is, I will almost guarantee that there will be posters who will cry a bunch of tears because the broadcasters are "anti-Duke". My advice to those who see Duke haters around every corner is to turn off the sound and thank your lucky stars that your favorite team is on the tube more than any other in college basketball. IMO, there may be differences in the quality or likability of play-by-play and color men but they all try to call the game the way they see it.

gw67

Anyone know anyway to watch today's game online? I am in Big 12 territory and they are showing some colorado game or something.

Appreciate any help. I wish I still had DirecTV.

Quote Originally Posted by mark3401 View Post
    Anyone know anyway to watch today's game online? I am in Big 12 territory and they are showing some colorado game or something.

Our game is on ABC network, if that helps.

Todays game will be on ESPN360 online (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard. If you click on the ESPN360 icon below the Duke/Miami box and follow instructions, you should be able to see the game online (assuming you have the right internet connection).

In the past I've watched quite a few games through this site - it's a small screen but really has no lag-time, and the resolution is not bad at all.

Thank you, I will try the espn on line. to the other poster, thanks, I know it is on ABC, but it is a regional game. Go Duke

ha! I clicked thru excited by the notion that i will be able to watch on line at espn360. Alas, I cannot do so with Time Warner internet. bummer. Anyone know a work around?

ha! I clicked thru excited by the notion that i will be able to watch on line at espn360. Alas, I cannot do so with Time Warner internet. bummer. Anyone know a work around?
    sports bar.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Matt Doh?

It's not so bad being stuck at work - the silly looking mythical bird is on - not the mighty Blue Devil. It will be shown tomorrow night at 8:30pm on ESPN u (Time Warner 203 in the KC area.)

Hey - the office is AT&T - so I can watch it. Productivity just decreased.
    Last edited by DukieInKansas; 02-02-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added a line

Paulus's nose has GOT to be broken. Why's everybody have to go after our boy?

Quick note to Duke early on: the ball must go through the hoop in order to score points. Hitting the rim is not good enough.

In other words, we've missed a ton of chippies already that have done everything but go through the hoop.

Gary