Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

digital cameras!

I'm selling my Nikon D40 tomorrow (sad day). It's an amazing camera, but I'm being honest with myself: I'm never going to take photography classes or lessons, I'm not spending my life savings on a lens and filters & all of that nonsense.

I've got about 300 bucks to spend on a new, smaller camera.
    But NO idea what to buy.
    I want video capabilities, and a decent zoom.
    Any suggestions?

Thankssss loves.

Recomm with samples

A relative of mine is a world traveler, and she and her husband recently took their new digital camera to Patagonia. It is a Panasonic DMC-LX2 "Lumix". It fits in a pocket. It is not cheap, but take a look at the shots from their trip:

http://picasaweb.google.com/WDKnutsen/Patagonia2008/

If you go a directory up, you can see shots from Norway and Amsterdam. I don't know whether it is necessary to spend $500 to get shots like these (I'm sure it helps to travel to beautiful places!) but I certainly am thinking about upgrading. I might first at least leave my camera on a higher resolution setting (I still typically take "email" snapshots of about 120 kb each, but my camera also has 1, 2, and 3 megapixel options. Dale's camera here is a 10 mp).

I would recommend a Cannon Powershot S5 IS. IMO, its the best camera for the money. It has 4x digital zoom and 12x optical zoom. I've owned two Powershots and both were very durable and took great images. You might also look at the G9. Although it doesn't have as much zoom, it does have higher resolution. I'd go for zoom over megapixels though. I'm not certain, but I believe both have video capabilities (short time frame).

These cameras are very versatile. They work well for close-up but are perfect for landscape photos. The S5 has lens options while the G9 does not. You may even find macro adapters in the near future for the S5. Plus, you can always digiscope the G9.

Hope that helps.

S5 IS link:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15207

G9 link:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15669

Fwiw, I own both a D40X, and multiple Canon Powershots, including an S45, S300, SD700is, and SD850is.

There's a reason why I keep buying Canon's. I like the recommendation for the S5 IS too. Can't say enough great things about them, just make sure you get the image stabilization, as I find that a compelling feature.

As for Panasonic, I'm familiar with the camera, and it has gotten great reviews. Everyone has their own brands they feel this way about, but I'll never touch a Panasonic brand again due to their horrible customer service. I haven't needed to contact Nikon, but Canon has been very good. Panasonic, on the other hand, obviously doesn't value customers.

Canon A720. Runs on two AA batteries; has 6X zoom, 7mg pixs, a nice hand gripe, is light and small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and not be an annoyance. Has an excellent LCD screen, a regular view finder, adjusts automatically for shooter movements, and produces as fine a picture of any shoot and snap.

At Cosco, for $220, you get a 2 bit memorary card. Available lots of places without at $199.

Only "problems," when you use the flash, 1.6 seconds or more recovery time, and I don't think it accommodates an added flash. It does, however, take other lenses.

I read a lot and spoke to a lot of people; this is the Canon snap and shoot that you want, and Canon makes the best snap and shoot that you want, especially for the money.

For about fifty more, the A640, with added bulk (4 batteries), has a few added features, most prominently a faster flash recovery time and a screen that twists and turns which might be a plus for video shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    As for Panasonic, I'm familiar with the camera, and it has gotten great reviews. Everyone has their own brands they feel this way about, but I'll never touch a Panasonic brand again due to their horrible customer service. I haven't needed to contact Nikon, but Canon has been very good. Panasonic, on the other hand, obviously doesn't value customers.
    I have to disagree on this. I have owned ONLY Panasonic VCRs, DVD players/recorders, even microwaves. I had never (knock wood) had ANY problems with any of the products until last summer when my VCR/DVD recorder died. I called customer service, and the guy was great. And, even though my 1-year warranty had run out about two months prior, Panasonic covered the full cost of repair, which ended up being over $300, more than I paid for the thing to start with. They are one of the few companies that hasn't been bought out by someone else in recent years and, therefore, haven't lowered their quality of products and service.

Of course, now that I've said that, everything Panasonic I own will break and I will have to blame you for jinxing me! Just kidding.

I am also in the market for a small, simple digital camera and have been looking at the various Canons and the Panasonic Lumix line. I am appreciating the comments offered on this thread!

By the way, which do you multiple-camera owners recommend, AA batteries or rechargeable lithiums? Could definately affect my decision.

Canon PowerShot SD series. Compact, sturdy, and shoots very well. I have the SD700 (I think), and it's the best camera I've owned (I've had Sony and Pentax). To my knowledge they all have video capability, but you may want to check (just search for the word video in the descriptions). As for zoom, they all have 3-4x zoom, but at 7 to 10 megapixels these cameras have, I've never needed more zooming, as I would just crop it on the computer. They all come with 2-3x digital zoom (yuck)

SD850 - under $250

SD750 under $220

SD1000 under $170

and the rest...

Also, I got mine refurbished at refurbdepot.com, and so far it's worked out pretty well. I purchased it for about $100 less than what it was on other sites, and the only problem I'm having is the case sometimes creaks a little bit, but nothing wrong with it technically or aesthetically.

So, how are Dale and Marj?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The perspectives seem mixed on the batteries; a fully charged lithium will get lots more pictures, but when it runs out, you are done, unless you buy a back up, which will run another 30 or so. The AA route seemed to make the most sense, but my daughter and wife each went differently so we have both.

My daughter has the SD750, which has many of the same features of the A720, red eye, the shaking hand adjustment technology that I'm blanking on, in particular. It has a very thin body; if you want something more like the SD700 with the same features as the SD750 but a sturdier body and a regular vision viewfinder to go along with the LCD, you will need to go I think with the SD850 or 950, the latter of which is over priced.

One thing to consider is that a camera like the A720 and the Lumix (I also heard that that is an excellent snap and shoot) will give you a bulge to hold onto and steady the camera for shooting. Some people find that a must. My wife does. I brough home what was then a $400 SD950 and she sent me right back. She loved her A620, but not enough to not leave it on the Metro when returning home from the airport after a trip to Canada with oh so many reportedly terrific shots, and has yet to shoot with the A720. From everything I read, it's a keeper.

On the other hand, the real small SD Canons will fit in your pocket, so you won't be leaving it on no train or nothing.

Might I suggest

I have read the other posts and would agree with those who suggest one of the inexpensive Canons. The PowerShot series is quite good. And, I don't think you want to spend almost as much on a replacement for D40 as the the D40 cost(s)!

As a photographer (I use the big complicated ones...) I am biased toward Canon, (I own Nikons too). But be that as it may, Canon does do an excellent job with the small inexpensive consumer cameras.

Don't spend a fortune! These days great snapshots can be taken by almost anyone and with almost any reasonably-priced model.

One final thing. If you buy a Canon, go with one of the image stabilzation ones.

And remember, models change every week! Plus, they all eat batteries!

One other thing about lithiums, at least in snap and shoots; there is no visual gauge to tell you how much juice is left on any of the cameras using them.

thanks for the help!

I ended up getting a Canon PowerShot G9! It was a tad bit out of my price range, but so far it's everything my Nikon wasn't.

So far it's my new best friend.

I just bought the Canon Powershot SD1000. It's like the SD750 but no anti-shake feature. I love the powershot series, the ELPH cameras especially, as they are so tiny you can carry them everywhere. For me, this feature is key because, as many features as a camera has, if it's too bulky to have with you, you won't have it for those great pictures. If you're going on a trip and plan on carrying a camera around tourist style around the neck, fair enough, but I carry my SD1000 everywhere with me and there are just so many instances where other people would be like...oh I wish I had a camera...and I've got it.

So carry-ablility is key for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    I just bought the Canon Powershot SD1000. It's like the SD750 but no anti-shake feature. I love the powershot series, the ELPH cameras especially, as they are so tiny you can carry them everywhere. For me, this feature is key because, as many features as a camera has, if it's too bulky to have with you, you won't have it for those great pictures. If you're going on a trip and plan on carrying a camera around tourist style around the neck, fair enough, but I carry my SD1000 everywhere with me and there are just so many instances where other people would be like...oh I wish I had a camera...and I've got it.

Oh and the SD1000 is only like 180 versus the SD750 which definately has some nice features, but comes in at 300. I'm a poor student, so that made my decision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post

I have an older Canon S200 ELPH, which when I bought it was relatively small, but not compared to today's models. I'm on my third of fourth Lithium battery. This one, which I got from Batteries Plus because they offer a 1 year replacement warranty on the battery, seems to be doing very well so far. The cheaper online purchased batteries didn't hold up too well.

But for the convenience of having a camera with me, that 's why I finally upgrade my cell phone. Its 1.3 meg camera is fine for those spur of the moment pictures or short videos.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

My Canon S3 IS gets at least 400 pictures with 4 Eveready lithium AA batteries, And I get my best pictures ever. It goes down somewhat if I take videos with it, or I add a narrative to the stills. Can't complain.

Adding a comment on cspan37421's post with the link to photos taken in Norway -- Norway has to be one of the most photogenic places on this earth. My wife and I were there last June, and I got a couple of hundred fantastic shots. I would post them here if I could figure out how to do it.

I think I'm going with the Canon A720. The final decision being that it's on sale at Circuit City right now for about $193.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I think I'm going with the Canon A720. The final decision being that it's on sale at Circuit City right now for about $193.
    Good price! Costco has it for $199.99 and Sam's is $214.99. Of course, the warranty/return privileges at Costco might be worth the extra $6 if you are a member.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Good price! Costco has it for $199.99 and Sam's is $214.99. Of course, the warranty/return privileges at Costco might be worth the extra $6 if you are a member.
    Costco's on-line price includes a 2g SD card; I think that the price on these cards has dropped dramatically, but I'd check; when I bought my daughter's camera last August, the card cost $49. Yes, you will want to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    $199 on Amazon, free shipping, no tax.