View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match vs. NC State?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jordan Davidson

5 2.22%
  • Gerald Henderson

2 0.89%
  • Taylor King

0 0%
  • David McClure

0 0%
  • DeMarcus Nelson

2 0.89%
  • Greg Paulus

210 93.33%
  • Jon Scheyer

0 0%
  • Kyle Singler

4 1.78%
  • Nolan Smith

1 0.44%
  • Lance Thomas

1 0.44%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think also on defense (aside from "Orange," I think the "man" defense entirely befuddling in its zone principles, which seems to have "littles" coming from nowhere to steal entry passes when no one could possibly see or anticipate their being there) that is entirely new, and doing it so well, is unprecedented.
    it's almost as if we're playing an amoeba zone with all the switching in the man defense. the only issue, and i noticed this a LOT last night, is that the guards are always switching, regardless, rather than understanding who they are guarding. I got the feeling that gonzalez and/or johnson werent going to take much less make many perimeter shots, yet when costner or hickson would set the screens, greg or nolan or jon would switch and that would create a terrible mismatch (which was exploited early) rather than know the opponent, go under the screen and not give them the pick and roll opportunity.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    it's almost as if we're playing an amoeba zone with all the switching in the man defense. the only issue, and i noticed this a LOT last night, is that the guards are always switching, regardless, rather than understanding who they are guarding. I got the feeling that gonzalez and/or johnson werent going to take much less make many perimeter shots, yet when costner or hickson would set the screens, greg or nolan or jon would switch and that would create a terrible mismatch (which was exploited early) rather than know the opponent, go under the screen and not give them the pick and roll opportunity.
    Good points you make there, but wasn't the term "amoeba" in regards to defense retired after we defeated UNLV in the national semifinals? I got SO sick of hearing that freaking term back then.

Anyways, on topic, I voted for Greg, with Kyle having my Honorable Mention for the game. His ability to play the low post and the angles he creates for entry passes still freakin amazes me, as he is ALWAYS ready to score upon receiving the pass. If he could just teach Thomas to DUNK THE FREAKIN BALL!!! we would have a decent post game.

GP

Gotta be Greg. As I noted in the post game thread..I like his attitude and aggressiveness. We need that swagger!

Paulus for his high-energy plays simply because it has such a positive impact on the team.
    But like some pointed out Kyle's ability to alter the opponent's defensive strategy, along with his readiness to score, were critical for the win. Maybe I've missed it in the past but I loved his two jump hooks.
    DeMarcus and Gerald were very solid - 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals and not to mention their point production).
    Lance seems to be clearly emerging, I like his confidence.

If I had to chose, I'd say Demarcus. He hit big shots in both halves, including a three late in the second that said, when State closed to about 10, don't even think about it.

Both Demarcus and Paulus turned people over on the exterior numerous times. However, Demarcus is 6'4" and one of the team's leading rebounders.

He handled it often, and was flawless off the dribble, even around mid court when they really went after him. You go hard at a guy near mid-court and you do not get him, look out. Paulus had a great game by any standard.

Demarcus makes this team win and he did again last night.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that that guard who scored off of Scheyer's pass at the end could probably be a starting point at half the programs in the country?
    agree with the overall post, but didn't understand this part. The guard who "scored off of scheyer's pass" was Gerald, if you're talking about that no look over the D pass when G was on a run-out. And I can't imagine you are saying Gerald could start at PG for a bunch of teams. I guess you're saying that Scheyer's pass was wicked good and that he could start at PG at a lot of places? If so, I agree with your basic premise which is that his passing is underrated.

On a sidenote, Jon played 17min last night...I believe his lowest total of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    how the hell was jordan davidson the man of the match?
    cause he took it to the rack and got an And-1!!!! That never happens with our starting short, white, PG, much less the walk-on!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    G He drew 2 five-second calls on his man in the first half and his defense was very good all night.
    Great point, and i think it speaks to how much greg has improved his Defense. I assume the foot had something to do with it last year, but greg is definitely quicker on D. we switch a lot on screens which helps him, but in general I think we can all agree that he is not getting blown by nearly as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    anyone not voting for Jordan Davidson is some kind of communist
    haha. potd. I would change my vote if I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    And what is this voting for team option nonsense? That's weak sauce.
    I do agree with this part of your post, but Jumbo's argument below is very, very solid. and he didn't even reference the +30, which is obviously HUGE. I guess I wouldn't have even thought to vote for Kyle, b/c of how he got his pts and made his contribution "quietly," at least for me.

Kinda like scheyer in a lot of games. you look at the box score, and say, oh wow, scheyer had a really good game. I don't know about you guys, but I find myself doing that a lot with scheyer and kyle...

I guess the thing about greg was the timing and the "spurt" factor. he just exploded in a couple minute stretch, when we were down, and it changed the entire course of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator." Quick quiz -- whose three-pointer started Duke's second-half run? Whose ability to pull bigs out of the paint opened up the driving lanes for Henderson and Nelson? Whose threat as a high screener helped set Paulus up for his threes.

Greg played a fabulous game, but I'm standing by my Singler pick.

I have to vote for Greg, with an honorable mention to Kyle -- and Jordan Davidson, whose smile at the end was awesome!

Greg gets my vote because of his toughness and tenaciousness -- plus, he seemed to be pissing off the State guys soo much and that was interfering with their concentration and effort. But he kept his cool (for the most part) and used his anger to fuel his game in a positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    agree with the overall post, but didn't understand this part. The guard who "scored off of scheyer's pass" was Gerald, if you're talking about that no look over the D pass when G was on a run-out. And I can't imagine you are saying Gerald could start at PG for a bunch of teams. I guess you're saying that Scheyer's pass was wicked good and that he could start at PG at a lot of places? If so, I agree with your basic premise which is that his passing is underrated.
    He was talking about Jordan Davidson at the end, not Gerald.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    On a sidenote, Jon played 17min last night...I believe his lowest total of the season.
    Three fouls in the first half. Fourth foul midway through the second half.

Being at the game, I was tremendously impressed by Singler's calm efficiency - he's a freshman? Man.

Being at the game, however, I was caught up in the fiery passion Paulus brought and focused in the second half.

K gave Paulus a ceremonial departure at the end, maybe that's something of a symbolic MOM in and of itself, and if so, I agree with K. I give the nod to Paulus.

As for Jordan Davidson, I have thought more than once that he could play at at a CAA, or even A-10 level. I also wonder if he DID play at that level whether he would be good enough to do so - what benefit he gets going up against Duke players and receiving Duke coaching. Anyway, his layup was a fine way to cap the game. And is NOT a human victory cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    As for Jordan Davidson, I have thought more than once that he could play at at a CAA, or even A-10 level. I also wonder if he DID play at that level whether he would be good enough to do so - what benefit he gets going up against Duke players and receiving Duke coaching. Anyway, his layup was a fine way to cap the game. And is NOT a human victory cigar.
    I don't think Davidson would have a prayer of starting or playing regularly at the CAA level, much less the A-10. The point guard play at those levels isn't too big a dropoff from ACC level. Can you imagine him competing with Eric Maynor or Folarin Cambpell?

Generally, the difference between the major conferences and the "mid-majors" or even "low-majors" (whatever that means) is in big men. The big men in the major conference tend to be bigger and more athletic. This is because the supply of really good guards is much greater than the supply of really good big men.

Davidson is a good team guy, scrappy and hard working. But he's simply not on par with D-1 point guard play.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Davidson is a good team guy, scrappy and hard working.
    Man, you always demand so much from your point guards CDu, don't you. Difficult to please, but that ain't bad.

I really haven't seen enough of the kid to dispute you on this, but you have to admit that that was one heck of a finish. A terrific catch, to begin with, the pass was to his left butt, if I remember right. Then, he switches it to his left, protects the ball, and sweeps it in lefty off a tight angle that would have made blocking it extremely probelmatic if anyone really, really tried (actually, I think a for real shot blocker might well have gone after it and missed badly.)

I seem to remember Davidson hitting a three or two in an earlier game, and running the team for a few moments. In those phases of the game, he had the look of a "player", not just a player, if you know what I mean.

BTW, back to the topic at hand, on reconsideration, I vote for the guy from State who made that insane block.

Man, you always demand so much from your point guards CDu, don't you. Difficult to please, but that ain't bad.

I really haven't seen enough of the kid to dispute you on this, but you have to admit that that was one heck of a finish. A terrific catch, to begin with, the pass was to his left butt, if I remember right. Then, he switches it to his left, protects the ball, and sweeps it in lefty off a tight angle that would have made blocking it extremely probelmatic if anyone really, really tried (actually, I think a for real shot blocker might well have gone after it and missed badly.)

I seem to remember Davidson hitting a three or two in an earlier game, and running the team for a few moments. In those phases of the game, he had the look of a "player", not just a player, if you know what I mean.
    Nah - I just recognize that there are some really gifted point guards out there in division-1 basketball, and I don't think Davidson is close to their level.

It was a very nice catch and finish. But one nice play doesn't make a player worthy of being a division-1 point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Nah - I just recognize that there are some really gifted point guards out there in division-1 basketball, and I don't think Davidson is close to their level.

It was a very nice catch and finish. But one nice play doesn't make a player worthy of being a division-1 point guard.
    I bet he might have helped NCSt; never saw a point get quite so defeated.

I bet he might have helped NCSt; never saw a point get quite so defeated.
    Doubt it. He'd have been even more overwhelmed. Just because Gonzalez and Johnson struggled doesn't mean they aren't much better than Davidson.

I agree though - we did thoroughly overwhelm Johnson, and wore down Gonzalez to the point that he was trying anything to get a call.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Greg Paulus was the MOTM. Lance, Markie, and Kyle all had very good games but Greg had an all-around great game. The stats (22 pts, 6 ast, 0 TO and 3 stl) only begin to tell the story. He drew 2 five-second calls on his man in the first half and his defense was very good all night. His 3 threes at the start of the second half really turned the game around and set the tone for the rest of the half.

But my favorite play was at the 9:32 mark of the second half when he stole the post entry pass from McCauley to Hickson. The impressive thing was that McCauley was at the top of the key and Paulus's man (Gonzalez) was on the left wing. It was beautiful help defense.
    In addition to Paulus' fine shooting and floor game described above, the player(s) he was guarding, the NC State PG's, had 7 turnovers. Greg doesn't get credit for all of them due to the numerous switches and the help by Nolan. The biggest difference in the game, though, was at PG where Greg significantly outplayed the NC State PG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    In addition to Paulus' fine shooting and floor game described above, the player(s) he was guarding, the NC State PG's, had 7 turnovers. Greg doesn't get credit for all of them due to the numerous switches and the help by Nolan. The biggest difference in the game, though, was at PG where Greg significantly outplayed the NC State PG's.
    Don't forget the half court traps. But yes, the biggest difference was definitely at point guard, where Paulus had possibly his best game as a collegiate and NC State couldn't get anything productive.

Greg Rocked...

Not sure why the green jerseys affected the team in the first half, but man did the second half rock (there was direct causation, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator." Quick quiz -- whose three-pointer started Duke's second-half run? Whose ability to pull bigs out of the paint opened up the driving lanes for Henderson and Nelson? Whose threat as a high screener helped set Paulus up for his threes.

Greg played a fabulous game, but I'm standing by my Singler pick.
    WOw, Great point.

I didn't realize that Singlers +- was that high. Dang. Well, based on your info and watching the game, I would still vote for Paulus, but Singler is a very very very very close second. And one thing I have noticed in conference play, in every close conference game, Singler has hit a big 3 early-mid 2nd half to spark a run...