Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    And im serious when I say this:

King and Singler will each average 20 PPG during their Senior Season.
    That's a tall order. Do you know when the last time Duke had two players average 20+ points was? It was 1977-78, and those two were at 20.8 and 20.0 (Spanarkel and Gminski, respectively). Shane and Jason got close in 2000-01, as did J.J. and Shelden in 2005-06. Like many have said, it would be awesome to have Kyle for 4 years. Even if we did, I don't think two versatile big men will do the bulk of the scoring... Nolan, Elliot, Olek, etc. have to fit in somewhere.

Harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Thanks.

Im pretty sure you will not like me,because like all fans im harsh when players arent performing well.
    Don't know if I'll like you or not . . . . but I'm a fan and I'm NOT harsh when players aren't performing well. The only time I may think ill of a player is if he's dogging it . . . not giving effort. As long as he's trying, who am I to be harsh? I'm fairly certain he's a better ball player than I ever dreamed of being, so who am I to criticize?

If he isn't giving effort . . . that's another story. But I don't see that happening with guys on teams coached by K.

Still concerned about how McRoberts ruined his life at the tender age of 20 . . . you still haven't explained that one yet.
    Last edited by dw0827; 01-31-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: fixed a typo . . .

Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Saratoga, I'm begging you to call him Singler, not Singlar. And you guys are killing me with the lack of Scheyer respect. I don't know how to make it any clearer, other than to get some NBA scouts to actually let me quote them on a Duke fan message board. (Hell, maybe I'll try asking.) He's going to play in the league, and play a lot.
    I'm not doubting what you're saying about the scouts. You know I like Scheyer's game. But are you able to share the extent of the scouts' enthusiasm for Jon? Do they see him 1st round now? Or do they see him 1st round assuming he stays and develops as expected?

If you'd rather not divulge what you've learned, I understand.

Foster, Ogilvy

ugadevil,

Foster and Ogilvy are from Vandy. Foster is a 6-6 senior forward who is an outstanding outside shooter averaging 19 ppg and Ogilvy is a 6-11 freshman averaging nearly 18 ppg.

gw67

Duke to the NBA

The current team is getting the advantage of running the offense most favored in the NBA right now. Not only are they running it, they are learning to defend against it in practice every day. This isn’t just as simple as running to a corner on a break, but entails the most difficult play to defend, the pick and roll. They are learning the communication and timing and footwork of this play. They also are learning fundamentals from one of the best coaches in the game, particularly in playing TEAM defense. Watch the Pistons play, and watch the defense that Prince, Wallace and McDyess play. Ever wonder why Ben Wallace won so many Defensive player of the year awards with the Pistons but now sucks with the Bulls?

Duke players have been somewhat overrated in the draft from a talent standpoint, but I submit that GMs have been looking for “team” players in selecting Duke guys. Getting such advanced training will help our guys even more in the draft in the upcoming years.

It will also benefit players such as Markie, Scheyer and G for NBA scouts to see them at Duke hitting the shots from the "Phoenix" offense, which can help counter the perception that they don’t have the size to play the wing at the next level. Nolan will get valuable experience in recognizing the passing lanes in the offense and how to deliver the ball in scoring position (Steve Nash's forte) and when to pull the ball out to recycle.

Markie reminds me of Vinnie Johnson, of the “Bad Boy” Pistons of the 90s. He was 6’3” with long arms and was one of the strongest players in the league. He was known as “the microwave” for his instant offense off of the bench. He also had the flattest shot that I can remember. I swear that he made some shots that never went over the rim.

I won't predict draft positions, I would rather think about the time we will get to enjoy watching the guys play for Duke.

um...

how is everybody forgetting Marty here?

haha seriously though, this is a bit ridiculous. Its pretty obvious that Henderson and Singler will be in the league, that Scheyer has a good shot, and that D-Marc and Smith will get a chance too...

But I have trouble seeing King being a first round draft pick at 6-6 and slow...
    and for Lance to be drafted he would have to really develop some basketball skills...
    he's a good enough athlete to play in the NBA, but not a good enough athlete that he can get there just on his athleticism

Seriously though I'm as optimistic as anyone, but the OP just hasn't had any sense of reality attached to his posts here...

1. 3 jersey retirees on one team? According to Duke a player has to win a national player of the year award (defensive player works as well apparently) and graduate in order to have their jersey retired...
    Since I don't see any of the 3 players mentioned winning defensive player (maybe Gerald, but still doubtful) this would mean Gerald would have to win a POY his senior year and Singler and King would have to each win different ones their senior years...
    That would be awesome, but I'd like to point out that King hasn't played more than 10 minutes in about 6 games now... Expecting a national player of the year award when he's playing with another national player of the year is really hoping for a lot...
    2. Of course it would help if they both averaged 20 a game... But that is very unlikely considering that even JJ and Shelden couldn't manage that, and its unlikely that we're ever going to let our offense depend on 2 players again to the extent that we depended on those 2 their senior year...
    3. The hair thing is actually the least egregious thing to me, I see where you're coming from even though it sounds goofy. I would point out that Keith Van Horn used to get those comparisons too, and he wasn't exactly rocking the floppy hair...
    4. This is not the Duke team with the most NBA potential ever. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Don't know if I'll like you or not . . . . but I'm a fan and I'm NOT harsh when players aren't performing well. The only time I may think ill of a player is if he's dogging it . . . not giving effort. As long as he's trying, who am I to be harsh? I'm fairly certain he's a better ball player than I ever dreamed of being, so who am I to criticize?

If he isn't giving effort . . . that's another story. But I don't see that happening with guys on teams coached by K.

Still concerned about how McRoberts ruined his life at the tender age of 20 . . . you still haven't explained that one yet.
    I don't know, I've dreamed of being a pretty spectacular ball player. Unfortunately, I don't have the genetics to go along with my imagination

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I don't know, I've dreamed of being a pretty spectacular ball player. Unfortunately, I don't have the genetics to go along with my imagination
    I have those dreams, too. Unfortunately, I wake up. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    1. 3 jersey retirees on one team? According to Duke a player has to win a national player of the year award (defensive player works as well apparently) and graduate in order to have their jersey retired...
    Since I don't see any of the 3 players mentioned winning defensive player (maybe Gerald, but still doubtful) this would mean Gerald would have to win a POY his senior year and Singler and King would have to each win different ones their senior years...
    That would be awesome, but I'd like to point out that King hasn't played more than 10 minutes in about 6 games now... Expecting a national player of the year award when he's playing with another national player of the year is really hoping for a lot...
    Not to nit pick (but what the heck), Hurley didn't win a national POY and King Amaker and Wojo all won DPOYs and Brand won the POY. I thought the standard was more along the lines of 1st team AA and unusually a trip to the F4. Anyway, I totally agree that it is unrealistic to think that Henderson, Singler and King will have their numbers retired. I wouldn't be surprised if none of them did. Of course a lot depends on how long they stick around and, more so for King, how they develop.

If Henderson or Singler stick around 4 years, I would consider it a legitimate possibility that one of them might get retired. I doubt both will (my money is on Henderson, because quotes from before he got to Duke and quotes from this month all indicate wanting to be "one of the best ever to play at Duke" which would almost certainly require 4 years from him) but they might.

But even if one of them does stay, getting retired would be a long shot. What isn't up for debate is that they're both great players, and I hope they stay all 4. The only number in the rafters I find important is the number of NC banners (and what the heck, ACC banners too).

But I have trouble seeing King being a first round draft pick at 6-6 and slow...
    and for Lance to be drafted he would have to really develop some basketball skills...
    he's a good enough athlete to play in the NBA, but not a good enough athlete that he can get there just on his athleticism
    Agreed. It's not like King is freakishly tall with that great stroke. He's 6'6", which makes him a wing player in the NBA. Unless he gets a LOT stronger, a LOT quicker, or really diversify his game, he's not likely a first round pick. There are plenty of 6'6"/6'7" guys in the NBA who can shoot, and most have more diverse games than King or are more athletic (or both). That's not to say King can't eventually play in the NBA. Guys with that range can find a place in the league. But finding a place and being a first-round pick are a lot different. King has a lot of work to do.

1. I don't think that's quite true. Neither Gminski nor Hurley won any national player of the year honors at Duke but got their numbers retired. The circumstances vary in regard to what gets you in, but graduation is most certainly a requirement. I'll agree that getting three jerseys retired from this team is still highly unlikely though.

2. Of course it would help if they both averaged 20 a game... But that is very unlikely considering that even JJ and Shelden couldn't manage that, and its unlikely that we're ever going to let our offense depend on 2 players again to the extent that we depended on those 2 their senior year...
    2. Agreed. 20 points per game hasn't happened in Coach K's tenure at Duke. And to expect two similar style of players to do it is exceedingly unlikely.

4. This is not the Duke team with the most NBA potential ever. PERIOD.
    4. Wholeheartedly agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Not to nit pick (but what the heck), Hurley didn't win a national POY and King Amaker and Wojo all won DPOYs and Brand won the POY. I thought the standard was more along the lines of 1st team AA and unusually a trip to the F4. Anyway, I totally agree that it is unrealistic to think that Henderson, Singler and King will have their numbers retired. I wouldn't be surprised if none of them did. Of course a lot depends on how long they stick around and, more so for King, how they develop.
    I don't think there is a set criteria. I think the only given is that you have to have graduated (ruling out Brand). Otherwise, I think it's a matter of having a universally agreed great career. That usually includes some combination of a Final Four appearance, player of the year award, all-time records, etc. Gminski was the all-time Duke leader in points and rebounds when he graduated and took his team to a Final Four. Hurley was the nation's all-time assist leader when he graduated and won two national titles. That's what got them in.

Poy

Wan't it Kerlina that used to say a player had to be a POY to have a jersey cerimony - only for it to be revealed that ANY POY award would do, from any organization. Kinda like the early "national championships" Kerlina claims to have.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    I'm not doubting what you're saying about the scouts. You know I like Scheyer's game. But are you able to share the extent of the scouts' enthusiasm for Jon? Do they see him 1st round now? Or do they see him 1st round assuming he stays and develops as expected?

If you'd rather not divulge what you've learned, I understand.
    I hate to be a jerk, but there's only so much I can say. Sorry.

Markie - will be drafted in the early second round and be in the league 5 to 7 years. No all star games or anything like that but he is a complete basketball player and has a pro body and long arms although he is smaller than the average shooting guard. Sometimes guys don't fit the cookie cutter 2 guard and then stick around for 10 years in the league. We love to pigeon hole players based on past experiences and perspectives but on occasion someone comes along and breaks the generalization of what a 2 guard should be and I believe if Markie get's a chance he will surprise some people.

Jon - will be drafted and will be a better pro than JJ although they are different players. Jon is a more complete player than JJ and is able to do two things JJ cannot get to the hole and play defense.

Gerald - Obvious 1st round draft choice in 2009 and a sixth man in the league. He needs to work on his 3 point stroke and ball handling but his raw talent is off the hinges.

Lance - No chance.

Greg- No chance

Taylor - Unless he hits 50% from 3pt range career no chance.

Nolan- I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Nolan will be the best pro out of everybody I listed.

Kyle - 1st round pick and a 15 year carrer in the league.

The rest no chance.

Obviously Markie is my favorite player.

The few times I've watched NBA games up close, I've been stunned by the size, power, and fluidity of virtually all the players. I agree that we have previously had teams that looked NBA caliber, but we don't currently have anybody who would wow NBA players--what we have now is a great TEAM of really good college players.

I'd guess that none of our current players is a lock to ever start on an NBA team, though, if I were to pick one, I'd choose Henderson, especially if he could develop an NBA-level outside shot. And if I were a gambling person, and the bet concerned who would get an NBA paycheck in 7 years, I'd put my money on Zoubek with the odds.

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I hate to be a jerk, but there's only so much I can say. Sorry.
    Not a problem. I understand and appreciate your reluctance to share private communications in such a forum.

What difference does it make? Duke has yet to play a game against an NBA team and never will. Why the fascination with ranking NBA status vis-a-vis the quality of a Duke team? What does it matter?

indoor - thats what FORUMS are for. Discussions, theories, even just plain thoughts. If there is a discussion you think is un-important, don't post in it. jesus christ.

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    indoor - thats what FORUMS are for. Discussions, theories, even just plain thoughts. If there is a discussion you think is un-important, don't post in it. jesus christ.
    And I expressed an opinion. Please watch your language.