Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6 Duke Basketball Players Have NBA Potential

Kyle Singler-1st Round
    Gerald Henderson-1st Round
    Taylor King-1st Round
    Nolan Smith-1st Round-2nd Round
    Demarcus Nelson-1st Round-2nd Round
    Lance Thomas-2nd Round

This may be our most NBA talented team yet.

I have reason to believe but I think Singler,King and Henderson each will have their numbers in the rafters at the end of their careers.

If Thomas has NBA potential, I have not seen it yet. I have no doubt that Scheyer will, at the very least, be getting a serious look by people in the league after 2 more years in the program.

If this team ends up having better NBA talent than '01, I will be surprised and impressed.

4. I absolutely LOVE Taylor King. His 3's are what J.J. and K called "momentum shots." He has a great attitude, and is already playing better D, rebounding, better, etc. than I expected given what I read about him coming in. But I'm not sure he'll be a 1st round pick, and I'd be very pleasantly surprised (to say the least) if there's a serious discussion about retiring his jersey. I actually think Jon has a better shot at an NBA spot than several of the guys on your list.

In terms of "best", I think 1999 and 2001 both had better "NBA talent." 1999 had #1 pick Brand as well as lottery guys Battier, Avery, Trajan, and Maggette. The entire starting 5 in 2001 is in the NBA except for JWill, who was arguably the best "NBA talent." Heck, 2004 had CDu, JJ, Shel, Shav, and Dan, as well as Dock, who was, imo, a more likely NBA candidate than Lance and Taylor at the same point in their respective careers.

I love the enthusiasm, but let's not put such great expectations on these guys too soon. They're all wonderful college players working together exceptionally well right now. I'm really enjoying that.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    I absolutely LOVE Taylor King. His 3's are what J.J. and K called "momentum shots." He has a great attitude, and is already playing better D, rebounding, better, etc. than I expected given what I read about him coming in. But I'm not sure he'll be a 1st round pick, and I'd be very pleasantly surprised (to say the least) if there's a serious discussion about retiring his jersey. I actually think Jon has a better shot at an NBA spot than several of the guys on your list.

In terms of "best", I think 1999 and 2001 both had better "NBA talent." 1999 had #1 pick Brand as well as lottery guys Battier, Avery, Trajan, and Maggette. The entire starting 5 in 2001 is in the NBA except for JWill, who was arguably the best "NBA talent." Heck, 2004 had CDu, JJ, Shel, Shav, and Dan, as well as Dock, who was, imo, a more likely NBA candidate than Lance and Taylor at the same point in their respective careers.

I love the enthusiasm, but let's not put such great expectations on these guys too soon. They're all wonderful college players working together exceptionally well right now. I'm really enjoying that.
    I know its too early but im going with the way they are currently playing now and the typical advancement they have as they become Juniors and eventual as Seniors.

And im serious when I say this:

King and Singler will each average 20 PPG during their Senior Season.

Nolan Smith probably will become a very good player but with us getting Elliot Williams and possibly Lance Stephenson in 09' I doubt he gets the chance to become a True Starter.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    King and Singler will each average 20 PPG during their Senior Season.
    Hope you're right. Heck, I hope Kyle HAS a senior season.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Hope you're right. Heck, I hope Kyle HAS a senior season.
    Kyle will.

He needs 4 years because he doesnt have the NBA athleticism to be a lottery pick after 1 or 2 years even.

As he develops his ability to play with his back to the basket and maybe gains about 15 lbs of muscle he should be a Top 10 pick after his senior year.

If McRoberts hadnt screwed up and ruined his life by leaving early we could have played Singler a little more on the wing like Grant Hill and Mike Dunleavy.

Thank god he cut his floppy hair because the comparisons to Larry Bird would have hurt him in the long run,just ask Adam Morrison.

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Kyle will.

He needs 4 years because he doesnt have the NBA athleticism to be a lottery pick after 1 or 2 years even.

As he develops his ability to play with his back to the basket and maybe gains about 15 lbs of muscle he should be a Top 10 pick after his senior year.

If McRoberts hadnt screwed up and ruined his life by leaving early we could have played Singler a little more on the wing like Grant Hill and Mike Dunleavy.

Thank god he cut his floppy hair because the comparisons to Larry Bird would have hurt him in the long run,just ask Adam Morrison.
    How do you know that McRoberts ruined his life? Have you talked to him?

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    How do you know that McRoberts ruined his life? Have you talked to him?
    No.

I watched him in the D-League.

And he was playing like he didnt want to be there,but not fully realizing he has to play well so he doesnt have to be there anymore.

Its a far cry from the potential he has but what made him enter the NBA Draft this year is just....

crazy post. maybe henderson and singler go in 1st round, maybe. nelson's great but probably more of a 2nd round guy, and maybe late 2nd round at that. the other 3 haven't shown nba worthiness yet, unless we're using a really loose definition of "potential" here. smith would have to get the edge though, since he's had nba "flashes" from time to time.

Exclamation Ok... I have to go here...

I am calling bullsheet here!

This is Patrick Yates in an attempt to be overly positive....

Quote Originally Posted by ivduke View Post
    I am calling bullsheet here!

This is Patrick Yates in an attempt to be overly positive....
    I laughed out loud when I read that!

Duke to the NBA

The current team is getting the advantage of running the offense most favored in the NBA right now. Not only are they running it, they are learning to defend against it in practice every day. This isn’t just as simple as running to a corner on a break, but entails the most difficult play to defend, the pick and roll. They are learning the communication and timing and footwork of this play. They also are learning fundamentals from one of the best coaches in the game, particularly in playing TEAM defense. Watch the Pistons play, and watch the defense that Prince, Wallace and McDyess play. Ever wonder why Ben Wallace won so many Defensive player of the year awards with the Pistons but now sucks with the Bulls?

Duke players have been somewhat overrated in the draft from a talent standpoint, but I submit that GMs have been looking for “team” players in selecting Duke guys. Getting such advanced training will help our guys even more in the draft in the upcoming years.

It will also benefit players such as Markie, Scheyer and G for NBA scouts to see them at Duke hitting the shots from the "Phoenix" offense, which can help counter the perception that they don’t have the size to play the wing at the next level. Nolan will get valuable experience in recognizing the passing lanes in the offense and how to deliver the ball in scoring position (Steve Nash's forte) and when to pull the ball out to recycle.

Markie reminds me of Vinnie Johnson, of the “Bad Boy” Pistons of the 90s. He was 6’3” with long arms and was one of the strongest players in the league. He was known as “the microwave” for his instant offense off of the bench. He also had the flattest shot that I can remember. I swear that he made some shots that never went over the rim.

I won't predict draft positions, I would rather think about the time we will get to enjoy watching the guys play for Duke.

Someone would have to convince me that the OP isn't a troll at this point...

As for our guys, I'm going to spend more time rooting them on now while they wear the Duke blue than worry about whether they're going to stick at the next level. The only one I really think about on that front is Nelson, as we know he has to leave and I really like him and hope it works out for him. In the meantime, I'm going to hope he can continue to shoulder the load like he did at the end of the MD game and help this team continue to win.

This is why I strongly support "Posters Against Drunk Posting".

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    This is why I strongly support "Posters Against Drunk Posting".
    haha. niiiice.

All it takes in college basketball is two players who have legit first round skillsI would say only two have that right now. Singler and Henderson. Those two are enough though for a team to win a lot of games. They are as good a duo as there is in the country.

The rest are strong college basketball players who possess varying degrees of NBA potential.

Skills and potential are two very different things in my opinion.

Huh?

Kyle will.

McRoberts has ruined his life? Seems more than a bit premature. He's only 20 isn't he?

Don't think of Bird has having floppy hair so not sure how his haircut would invite comparisons. Perhaps, being nearly as tall and highly skilled might invite comparisons to Larry Legend. I don't believe Morrison's 'look' was why he was compared to Bird. Well maybe the wispy moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    McRoberts has ruined his life? Seems more than a bit premature. He's only 20 isn't he?

Don't think of Bird has having floppy hair so not sure how his haircut would invite comparisons. Perhaps, being nearly as tall and highly skilled might invite comparisons to Larry Legend. I don't believe Morrison's 'look' was why he was compared to Bird. Well maybe the wispy moustache.
    Yes Morrison's look was why he was compared to Bird.

Any 6ft7 or taller white male with floppy hair and the ability to shoot 3's with consistency will draw comparisons to Bird.

Bird was a great rebounder,and great passer.
    Morrison was a poor rebounder,and average passer

Bird was a great defensive player
    Morrison was a mediocre defensive player.

Larry Bird's name was thrown around when discussing Kyle Korver when he was at Creighton.

Bird

Yes Morrison's look was why he was compared to Bird.

Any 6ft7 or taller white male with floppy hair and the ability to shoot 3's with consistency will draw comparisons to Bird.
    ?? What's with the floppy hair? Maybe you're thinking of Pete Maravich.