K on Dean - Friendship?

On last week's "Basketball and Beyond with Coach K", he had the following to say about Dean Smith:

"While we are talking about coaches, my good friends and one of the greatest coaches in the history of sport, Dean Smith, had knee surgery...he's one of the smartest men you'll ever be around and a good guy."

Whenever I've seen K and Dean's relationship characterized by journalists, it has been portrayed as decidedly frosty. The most prominent example I can think of was Feinstein's book on the ACC, "A March to Madness", where he mentioned that when K had health issues and stepped aside that season, Dean was the only ACC coach not to contact him and, likewise, when Dean broke the all time win record, K was the only one not to contact him in congratulations. I also remember when K was offered the Lakers job, Dean went out of his way to make sure everyone knew that Kupcheck wanted Roy first. I feel like everything I read about the two of their banter has been, for lack of a better term, pissy.

Has the relationship thawed recently? Anyone have any insight about how frosty the relationship is, was, etc.?
    Last edited by devil84; 01-31-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: corrected characterization of K's leave

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    On last week's "Basketball and Beyond with Coach K", he had the following to say about Dean Smith:

"While we are talking about coaches, my good friends and one of the greatest coaches in the history of sport, Dean Smith, had knee surgery...he's one of the smartest men you'll ever be around and a good guy."

Whenever I've seen K and Dean's relationship characterized by journalists, it has been portrayed as decidedly frosty. The most prominent example I can think of was Feinstein's book on the ACC, "A March to Madness", where he mentioned that when K essentially had his mental breakdown, Dean was the only ACC coach not to contact him and, likewise, when Dean broke the all time win record, K was the only one not to contact him in congratulations. I also remember when K was offered the Lakers job, Dean went out of his way to make sure everyone knew that Kupcheck wanted Roy first. I feel like everything I read about the two of their banter has been, for lack of a better term, pissy.

Has the relationship thawed recently? Anyone have any insight about how frosty the relationship is, was, etc.?
    I thought the same as you based on what I've read.

However, Coach K, to his credit, seems to be one to extend olive branches on occasion. Apparently he mended the rift with Knight, and wasn't close to Valvano until the cancer.

By virtue of their proximity and profession and legacy-building, Dean Smith and Coach K certainly have a lot in common.

Not so much the cussing (K) and chain smoking (Deano), though.

I don't tend to put a lot of stock in books that purport to give the "inside scoop" on relationships like that. Moreover, as we all know, Feinstein has somewhat of an axe to grind with regard to Duke (and K himself). While I'm sure they weren't/aren't best buddies, I don't believe that K & Dean were ever quite as unfriendly as some would have us believe. There has to be a considerable amount of mutual respect, and remember, lots of people involved with the rivalry (coaches and players alike) have said that the warriors of the two shades of blue consort regularly and that the hatred is essentially "for the fans."

Family friends

It's my understanding that their daughters are good friends. Also recall how Coach K and Jim Valvano became friends after circumstances changed.

Tough to be friends when you are in same conference, 8 miles apart, and competing ferociously every day for recruits and overall supremacy. Once that situation ends, I guess anything is possible: see Thomas Jefferson and John Adams

The idea of Roy as coach of the Lakers still makes me .
    Plus, Feinstein is a boob and he makes me , too.

Although, the idea of K and Deano sharing a milkshake at the Dope Shop makes me feel .

Perhaps there was animosity/jealousy back when Coach K was the young, brash, upstart to the ACC and Deano seemingly got all the calls. Perhaps the cold war thawed in time as Mike matured and Deano retired, not having to face the inevitability of Mike becoming number one on tobacco road. Or perhaps Coach K said something nice about Deano at the same time he was saying how much of an honor it was to play Maryland in their building.

Quote Originally Posted by acciconoclast View Post
    Tough to be friends when you are in same conference, 8 miles apart, and competing ferociously every day for recruits and overall supremacy. Once that situation ends, I guess anything is possible: see Thomas Jefferson and John Adams
    Thomas Jefferson : John Adams :: Coach K : ????

Answer: Dean Smith

Glad that wasn't on the SAT. I'm not sure I would've have gotten that one. The possibilities are seemingly endless.

Wink

I had heard that K had established a good frienship with Valvano and Cremmins when they all started in the ACC. I guess I was wrong.

Public face

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I thought the same as you based on what I've read.

However, Coach K, to his credit, seems to be one to extend olive branches on occasion. Apparently he mended the rift with Knight, and wasn't close to Valvano until the cancer.

By virtue of their proximity and profession and legacy-building, Dean Smith and Coach K certainly have a lot in common.

Not so much the cussing (K) and chain smoking (Deano), though.
    Their daughters took piano lessons from the same teacher and were good friends while they were growing up. It is probably difficult for many fans to acknowledge that their favorite coach or players might actually be friends with the anyone from the rival team, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I had heard that K had established a good frienship with Valvano and Cremmins when they all started in the ACC. I guess I was wrong.
    K & Cremmins were often tennis partners, IIRC.

K & V relationship

I recall reading in one of Coach K's books, Leading with the Heart, he talked about how Deano was always the last to show up at ACC coaches meetings, I guess he had to be the last to enter. Coach K and Valvano hung out (in the men's room IRRC) for a good while before entering the meeting so Deano would be really late.

It's been a while since I read the book and now that it's autographed by K, no one, not even me, is allowed to touch it without gloves on.

No

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Bobby C. and K were friends. As a matter of fact K wore a Golden GT colored tie the last game he coached against Bobby C. after he announced his first retirement in honor of him.