Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    What a great thread. Solid arguments on both sides. Thing is, this is the kind of argument that can't really be won out by either side, because the measurements are so subjective and hindsight usually blurs things a bit.

Either way, I loved that '99 team, and I was crushed when they didn't win it all.

And, to go back to the original post, no WAY is this year's Ohio State team comparable to the '99 team.

That is all.
    A pox upon your Feldspar!! Your post closes this debate. It is impossible for either side to win.

And anyone who compares this year's OSU to Duke 99 is crazy. I thought early in the season that OSU might take that kind of path, but they have been erratic and have had trouble scoring at times. As a result, they are a favorite, but not nearly the odd-on kinda fave that 1999 Duke or 1991 UNLV were.

-Jason "I really though the team that played UNC in November, once it got a full-strength Oden, would be close to unbeatable" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    People forget UConn '99 lost only two games all year by a combined four or five points, and in those games had starters missing due to injuries. IOW Uconn never lost a game while playing at full strength -- very similar to Duke '92, and something that can't be said about Duke '99 even if you throw out the title game.

Not to "defend" UConn's '99 title or anything, but it wasn't dumb luck.
    Interesting side note, which team held the #1 position in the polls most of the season? (It wasn't Duke.)

Agreed. We'll revisit this debate when someone invents the time machine.

One correction on my previous posts. I mentioned that Duke was 4-for-4 as far as close games against Elite 8 competition. I forgot that Kentucky actually made the Elite 8 that season, and Duke beat them by 11. I also didn't count Duke's own Elite 8 opponent, 6 seed Temple, which we beat by 21. So, make that 4 close games in 6 chances against the Elite 8, and 3 close games in 3 chances against the Final Four. I want to build up Duke 92 some more so let me just say that 92 far outclassed their Final Four opponents. We played a sluggish first half against IU, then we put together a 31-6 burst to demoralize them. We held them to 3 points total in the first 10 minutes of the second half, and IU only made the final margin close due to Leary hitting a bunch of frantic, lucky 3-pointers in the final minute. Duke did the same thing in the championship. Played a sluggish first half, then destroyed the opponent with defense and penetration. It's those bursts of dominance against Final Four teams from that year that really separate 92 onto another level. And while we did need Laettner's shot to beat UK in the Elite 8, I consider that to be Duke surviving its version of Villanova(1985) or NCSU(1983).

still waitin' on that one

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A pox upon your Feldspar!! Your post closes this debate. It is impossible for either side to win.

And anyone who compares this year's OSU to Duke 99 is crazy. I thought early in the season that OSU might take that kind of path, but they have been erratic and have had trouble scoring at times. As a result, they are a favorite, but not nearly the odd-on kinda fave that 1999 Duke or 1991 UNLV were.

-Jason "I really though the team that played UNC in November, once it got a full-strength Oden, would be close to unbeatable" Evans
    they've never gotten a full-strength Oden, Jason.

I agree with Feldspar that we will never be able to settle this debate, as it despite statistics/results, the passage of time makes it subjective. It wasn't the same environment in '92 or '85 or '86 as it was in '99. Troublemaker, I understand what you are saying, but I happen to disagree (wouldn't it be boring if everyone on a message board always agreed?) Thank you for your civil explanation of your thoughts.