Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kansas, Memphis upsets tonight?

Both Kansas and Memphis play on the road tonight against teams that have a shot at pulling upsets. Kansas plays Michael Beasley and #24 Kansas St. (14-4), while Memphis faces their toughest competition in their conference when they take on Houston (15-3).

If Kansas and Memphis lose tonight, and Duke and UNC win their games this week (nothing is for sure in the ACC), the game next week w/ Carolina may be one of the most anticipated games in the history of the rivalry: #1 Duke vs. #2 UNC!

(you know the media will bring up the Henderson shot on Hansbrough for extra hype; and Dick Vitale returns).

Can't wait for next week!

I don't see Kansas losing to Kansas State even though Beasley is just ridiculous. I think Houston (like a lot of teams in America) can give Memphis a run for their money and I'm so angry that this game isn't on TV tonight. ESPN was talking about it all last week so I figured it'd be on TV; not so much.

I also cannot wait until next week. It's so funny how all the Carolina fans I know are starting to nitpick at Duke and bring up the elbow incident again because they just can't stand seeing Duke atop the ACC standings. Haha, I love it.

The HenderShot. (like that?)

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Both Kansas and Memphis play on the road tonight against teams that have a shot at pulling upsets. Kansas plays Michael Beasley and #24 Kansas St. (14-4), while Memphis faces their toughest competition in their conference when they take on Houston (15-3).

If Kansas and Memphis lose tonight, and Duke and UNC win their games this week (nothing is for sure in the ACC), the game next week w/ Carolina may be one of the most anticipated games in the history of the rivalry: #1 Duke vs. #2 UNC!

(you know the media will bring up the Henderson shot on Hansbrough for extra hype; and Dick Vitale returns).

Can't wait for next week!

certainly, for the Duke/Hole game next week, the HenderShot will come up waaaaay in advance and probably a lot during the game to hype it for ESPN and the fans will probably also kick it around a lot, but I do believe that as the game unfolds all will be forgotten about it.

and for Kansas tonight, I just don't see them losing this year during the regular season. they have very poor competition this year mostly b/c their team is so good; Kansas State to them is weak and they're probably driven by emotion right now when it comes to analyzing this game. i haven't been over to the phog.net in about one year now but i'm sure they're running all worried about playing KState. I see them by at least 10 or more tonight and they're playing at KState.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    certainly, for the Duke/Hole game next week, the HenderShot will come up waaaaay in advance and probably a lot during the game to hype it for ESPN and the fans will probably also kick it around a lot, but I do believe that as the game unfolds all will be forgotten about it.

and for Kansas tonight, I just don't see them losing this year during the regular season. they have very poor competition this year mostly b/c their team is so good; Kansas State to them is weak and they're probably driven by emotion right now when it comes to analyzing this game. i haven't been over to the phog.net in about one year now but i'm sure they're running all worried about playing KState. I see them by at least 10 or more tonight and they're playing at KState.

dth.
    According to Pomeroy, at Kansas St. will be their toughest challenge, with only Texas and Texas A&M also presenting much of a challenge during the regular season. Their 4th worst win % is 92% at home vs. Kansas State...

Kansas

I think KState has been playing well lately, other than getting their heads handed to them by Xavier in Cincy. They drubbed A&M and beat OU on the road with a then-healthy Blake Griffin.

They also have something of a motivation factor, what with not having beaten KU in the history of their own building and for a few years before they moved (actually since 1983).

I really do think this will be KU's toughest challenge to date. I won't be at all surprised if KU loses, although if I was forced to bet, I'd pick them to barely cover the 7.5 point spread. If we play like we played against Mizzou, we'll lose by 10+. So, who knows.

k-state

I think beasely and walker can pull it off tonight at home.

K-State beats Kansas

dth.
    KState 84, Kansas 75

That's why they play 'em
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I don't see Kansas losing to Kansas State even though Beasley is just ridiculous. I think Houston (like a lot of teams in America) can give Memphis a run for their money and I'm so angry that this game isn't on TV tonight. ESPN was talking about it all last week so I figured it'd be on TV; not so much.
    Yeah, we'll be giving your predictions a lot of credence in the future-- if you watched KSU at all this year, you would know that they're far from a one-man team... which I why I predicted on another thread a week ago that KSU would win this game tonight.

dth.
    I would have expected this kind of misguided analysis from a Kansas fan-- are you sure you're not CrimsonandBlue in disguise? But he actually had the good sense to be concerned about the Kansas State game-- there are plenty of good teams in the Big 12 and Kansas doesn't even look that good to me-- I've watched them twice: They struggled to beat a bad Missouri team, and then got whipped by a good KSU team-- what's the big deal about Kansas-- we all know that Bill Self and the Jayhawks are notorious for getting a tight collar in March, so I don't expect to see them at the Final Four, even if they really were as good as advertised.

Mudge, check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    I would have expected this kind of misguided analysis from a Kansas fan-- are you sure you're not CrimsonandBlue in disguise? But he actually had the good sense to be concerned about the Kansas State game-- there are plenty of good teams in the Big 12 and Kansas doesn't even look that good to me-- I've watched them twice: They struggled to beat a bad Missouri team, and then got whipped by a good KSU team-- what's the big deal about Kansas-- we all know that Bill Self and the Jayhawks are notorious for getting a tight collar in March, so I don't expect to see them at the Final Four, even if they really were as good as advertised.
    If I remember it correctly, Rush went 2/14 in the Missouri game (he had an off night) and if he'd hit his average, they would have won by double digits, same as it's been for years.

That was an upset win tonight; not that Kansas State is a poor team or a bad team in any way, it's just that Kansas top to bottom is so much of a better team than many if not most teams in the country right now. KState, last night however, was indeed 'better' and that's all you need to win out.

It was a surprise to see Kansas State win that game, as I'm trying to remember that they haven't won on their home floor versus Kansas in about 25 years. That is a long time.

dth.

If I remember it correctly, Rush went 2/14 in the Missouri game (he had an off night) and if he'd hit his average, they would have won by double digits, same as it's been for years.

That was an upset win tonight; not that Kansas State is a poor team or a bad team in any way, it's just that Kansas top to bottom is so much of a better team than many if not most teams in the country right now. KState, last night however, was indeed 'better' and that's all you need to win out.

It was a surprise to see Kansas State win that game, as I'm trying to remember that they haven't won on their home floor versus Kansas in about 25 years. That is a long time.

dth.
    Excuses, excuses- you still haven't conceded that A) Kansas isn't that good; and B) At least for this year, until KSU loses 2 NBA high lottery picks next year, KSU has better, more talented players than Kansas... it will be a challenge for UK (they need to get their abbreviation lined up with the school's name-- it's the U[niversity of]K[ansas]... or are we UD, now) to even beat KSU on UK's home court... I would not fear this middling Duke team's chances taking on Kansas right now-- regardless of the site, because Kansas ain't great, and Self's a choker.

Self's a choker.
    There is the key factor.

Excuses, excuses- you still haven't conceded that A) Kansas isn't that good; and B) At least for this year, until KSU loses 2 NBA high lottery picks next year, KSU has better, more talented players than Kansas... it will be a challenge for UK (they need to get their abbreviation lined up with the school's name-- it's the U[niversity of]K[ansas]... or are we UD, now) to even beat KSU on UK's home court... I would not fear this middling Duke team's chances taking on Kansas right now-- regardless of the site, because Kansas ain't great, and Self's a choker.
    He misses his clutch-time FTs?

Bull

Before you get all critical of Self for being a "choker" because his teams haven't performed all that well in post-season play, remember that Coach K had a rep for not being able to win the big one . . . until he won the big one (three times) . . .

and while Roy was out at Kansas, he had some really good teams but he couldn't win the big one . . . until, of course, he won the big one.

I'm not a huge Self fan, but this idea that he is a "choker" is just nonsense . . .

KU is one team that I do not want to play in March . . . despite what happened last night, they are a very dangerous team.

Last night was akin to Duke-Carolina . . . throw the records out, man up, and let'er rip. No shame in losing that game last night. No more than when we go over to Carolina and lose . . . (if that happens).

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    KU is one team that I do not want to play in March . . . despite what happened last night, they are a very dangerous team.

I would be thrilled to play Kansas in the playoffs since it would likely mean that we'd be playing them in the final four.

But I do agree that their loss does not make them mediocre. KSU is a very good team, playing at home, with a chance to beat their biggest rival after a decade of futility. Nobody should ever expect a college team to go undefeated, and I'm still fairly confident that KU is one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the country. While I love our team, the jury is rightfully out as to whether we belong in that top group.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Before you get all critical of Self for being a "choker" because his teams haven't performed all that well in post-season play, remember that Coach K had a rep for not being able to win the big one . . . until he won the big one (three times) . . .

and while Roy was out at Kansas, he had some really good teams but he couldn't win the big one . . . until, of course, he won the big one.

I'm not a huge Self fan, but this idea that he is a "choker" is just nonsense . . .

Last night was akin to Duke-Carolina . . . throw the records out, man up, and let'er rip. No shame in losing that game last night. No more than when we go over to Carolina and lose . . . (if that happens).
    There may be no shame in losing the game, and I'm not ashamed of the loss, but there is a trend with our guards of playing poorly in big games. They get going too fast, try to make the five point play, try for the shot block and taking a charge simultaneously. Anyway, it wasn't a surprise to lose. But it was disappointing.

And we had two years of first round losses against pretty good teams (Bradley and Bucknell). Otherwise, we've largely played to seed under Self. Two Elite Eights, losing in OT and to UCLA (a 2 seed) in California last year.

I don't consider that choking. I consider that what happens when you play in the tournament every year since '90. Kansas just needs to actually win one here soon. Not sure we have the horses this year, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    KSU is a very good team, playing at home, with a chance to beat their biggest rival after a decade of futility.
    More like 25 years of futility! The last time K-State beat Kansas at home was 1983.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

You're not really serious, are you? Kansas might have lost last night, but I don't think that by any means they're not "that good".

I'll leave the rest of this gunk alone, but KU is KU because of an agreement between the University of Kansas and the University of Kentucky by which Kansas agreed to go by KU and Kentucky by UK. That happened a long time ago. Kansas is kind of fond of KU. But I'll pass along your suggestion and I'm sure the university will take your proposal under advisement.

Whoa Mudge!

KState totally outplayed KU last night, or so it appeared based on the two minutes that I could actually watch that game (!), but Kansas is a better team than is Kansas State right now; you upset Kansas last night. So why in the world would I admit that 'Kansas isn't that good'? because they are good. You have won one game versus Kansas on your home floor in twenty-five (25) years.

Mudge, that is a long, long, long time, possibly more years running than ye are old taken the tone of your rumblings.

So do not ask me to admit something I won't based on one game.

And Kansas State has earned respect by beating Kansas so we can at least agree on that.

dth.