Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No.1-worthy?

No.1-worthy?

At this point in the season, a #1 ranking means very little, more of a popularity contest with just a bit a talent pageant (games played) to assuage people's opinions of how good team X is compared to team Y. So now Memphis is atop the popularity contest. But who have they played? Sorry, but nobody from the C-USA should be ranked #1, especially after conference play begins, unless they beat every team by 50 pts, which Memphis doesn't.
    Yeah, UNC was #1 and they lost to a team that had some embarrassing losses after rampaging thru an OOC schedule that was pretty light and their popularity fell along with their perception, with a loss to (snicker ha-ha) MD, whom Duke convincingly beat on the road.
    UCLA was #1 and they lost to a pretty good team in Texas.
    So, why should Duke not be considered for a #1 ranking? We have lost one game to the then #9/10 ranked team (who have unfortunately lost 2 of their best players since that game) and have beat several other good teams as well as a whole host of teams who were in the Tourney either last year, recently or will probably go this year. However, Duke's RPI and strength of schedule scores do not reflect that, necessarily.

One argument people have used is that Duke hasn't played any true road games. Well, that argument is not valid anymore, having won in Philly and at Tallahassee, Blacksburg and MD by a margin of 13ppg. So, not only have they won multiple road games but they have won them convincingly.

I'm totally fine with Duke not being ranked #1, I think it might damage the psyche of such a young team. It might also give them a sense of accomplishment far too early. It is much better to have #1 hanging there in front of us, to give us that motivation and fire.

We were ranked #10 or so at the start and lots of critics said we didn't even deserve to be that high. Most of that was residue from the spectacular flop at the end of last year and hesitancy about how good our Fr. were gonna be. Well, this team has answered those critics, reversing last year's on-court demeanor and improving substantially at pretty much every position.

Our Fr. class has been excellent so far and seem to be improving. Nolan Smith has really found his niche on this team and is playing solid, confident basketball. Singler will soon catch up to Demarcus and Jon in being a total "stat-stuffer" and playing productively even if he isn't scoring a whole bunch, but he can also score a whole bunch too. Taylor is like that extra slice of chocolate-raspberry cheesecake after a thoroughly satisfying meal, when the timing is right he is just soooo good. However, some games just don't have a place for Taylor, just like how some meals don't need a second slice of chocolate-raspberry cheesecake. I am excited when I think about the future of Duke's program with these 3 guys in addition to the So. class (+Pocius).

I imagine that if we win the next three games, we will get some No 1 votes.
    ~rthomas

KU

Although I might agree with you about Memphis, KU is the real deal . . . and until they lose, we won't be #1.

I think people are starting to come around on a couple of things regarding Duke and rankings/expectations.

First, Duke is being lumped into the group of schools that are considered the best in the country this year. A couple weeks ago everybody had Kansas, Memphis, North Carolina, and UCLA as the clear-cut national title contenders. UNC and UCLA are still in that group, more or less, but aren't quite as highly thought of at the moment. However, Duke has jumped into the same discussion, even if the Devils still aren't as highly thought of. This whole discussion is kind of silly, though. In college football and basketball the media are going to try an annoint some team or teams as the best in the country way too early in the season. It could actually affect things in college football because how a team is perceived could impact voters and rankings and the BCS. In basketball it is all pretty pointless since we'll have a tournament that will decide everything in the end. I'm perfectly fine with Duke not being talked about like Memphis or Kansas right now, even if the Devils are just as good. But everybody will lose between now and the NCAAs. Some will fall further than others, but every good team will look very beatable and very dangerous as different points. This reluctance to place Duke firmly in the same group as the previously mentioned could change in the next week or so depending on what happens in Chapel Hill, though.

And speaking of Chapel Hill, the second thing that I think is starting to happen with the perception of this Duke team is that people are starting to see that North Carolina isn't better than Duke just because. People think of Hansbrough and preseason expectations and last year, then they have to realize that it doesn't really matter. Duke is way better than most thought it'd be, North Carolina isn't as dominant as some people thought they'd be, and well, Hansbrough is damn good, but not so good that Carolina will just feed him for 50 and 30 against undersized Duke. The last two weekends have done a lot to change this peerception of Duke being the underdog in the rivalry this season. Maryland goes to Chapel Hill and wins a shocker, Duke goes to Maryland and comes back to win a game in which the Terps arguably played better offensively than they did a week earlier (no argument if you look at the stats). Duke has taken care of business in ACC play while Carolina has sputtered a bit (one loss, two nailbiters). And if you're gonna consider UNC an elite team or a national title contender it is pretty silly to not put Duke in the same group of teams that have a chance to do a lot of damage in the tournament.

KU

yeah, KU is having a great year so far. I donīt think Duke will pass over either of those teams unless they lose before we do. My point is, why are more people not talking bout Duke as a #1? I donīt necessarily want us to be #1 right now, but as far as who weīve played and how well weīve played, we should be getting more print as a viable #1 team. Let those other guys be #1 and #2, as i said before, it is good for us to be hungry and not feel satisfied with a higher ranking than what weīve got.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Sorry, but nobody from the C-USA should be ranked #1, especially after conference play begins, unless they beat every team by 50 pts, which Memphis doesn't.
    You think Duke would beat every team in C-USA by 50 points? If so, you're delusional. Memphis has more than proven itself and is worthy of a number 1 ranking. So is Kansas. If we win our next three, then we will be too.

C-usa

My point was about Memphis and C-USA as it is. If Duke was in the C-USA, it wouldnīt be such a weak conference. I also firmly realize Duke hasnīt won every game by 50, nor would it likely win every game in C-USA by 50, but kens, Duke ainīt in C-USA and Memphis is. Mempis IS #1 playing in a weak conference and Duke is neither #1 nor in a weak conference. As i mentioned earlier, rankings at this point donīt matter much and i would actually prefer Duke not to be #1. All i wanted to point out is that Duke should mos def be in the discussion about being a #1 team, or at least a #1 seed...

Duke IS in the discussion about a #1 seed, as we should be. The only reason we're not in the discussion about #1 overall is because Kansas and Memphis don't have a loss. If we win at UNC, though, we'll be right there with them - otherwise, I still think we're just a step behind those two teams.

As far as being ranked #1, that's not going to happen unless Memphis and Kansas lose. And if we take care of the games we have.

As far as a #1 seed goes, I think Duke is definitely deserving of a #1 seed as of today. Obviously, it'll be up to the guys to maintain their current level of play but as of Monday January 28, this team is deserving of a #1 seed. Whatever that means.

Personally, I think the selection committee has a #1 seed waiting for the winner of the ACC. So, to maintain that #1 seed, I think we'll have to win the regular season title (which will probably include at least a split with Carolina). On top of that, I'd imagine that we'll have to win the ACC tournament or go farther than Carolina.

Kansas is looking totally awesome this year; this may be their year to win out. Duke is looking good but we still have to prove ourselves versus the hated Holes, who remain our measuring stick (duhhh!) in the ACC this year.

Our league isn't so strong top to bottom this particular year, so I wonder if that lack of usual breakneck competition could lessen our toughness or resolve come deep NCAA tourney time?

I can't say with surety if Duke is No. 1 worthy or even a No. 1 seed worthy right now; that's going to be determined by our ACC record overall and especially our fare versus the lesser shade of blue. We'll see; at any rate, I am having so much fun this year and it's the good old days all over again.

dth.

I agree that they're in a weak conference, but Memphis has done a lot of winning outside of C-USA.

-Oklahoma (neutral)
    -UConn (neutral)
    -USC (neutral)
    -Georgetown (home)
    -Arizona (home)
    -Gonzaga (home)

I agree that Kansas looks very strong, but I think their résumé is more suspect than that of Memphis. Their only win over a ranked opponent was a 4-point victory at USC (they were down 10 in the first half). After that, they have a close one against Missouri (road) and some convincing wins over BC (road) and Oklahoma (home). Meh.

My point was about Memphis and C-USA as it is. If Duke was in the C-USA, it wouldnīt be such a weak conference. I also firmly realize Duke hasnīt won every game by 50, nor would it likely win every game in C-USA by 50, but kens, Duke ainīt in C-USA and Memphis is. Mempis IS #1 playing in a weak conference and Duke is neither #1 nor in a weak conference. As i mentioned earlier, rankings at this point donīt matter much and i would actually prefer Duke not to be #1. All i wanted to point out is that Duke should mos def be in the discussion about being a #1 team, or at least a #1 seed...
    The discussion of downgrading Memphis's season because of Conference USA might have merit if Memphis had played more than a handful of games in conference. As it stands, they've played and beaten Oklahoma, UConn, Cincy, Southern Cal, Georgetown, Arizona and Gonzaga. They will also play Tennessee out of conference.

Yes, they play in a crappy conference and that will diminish the luster of their wins going forward, but as of now, they've done more than enough in the non-conference season to justify ranking them up at the top of any poll.

That said, it is a little sad that Memphis's game against mighty (planet) Houston is pitched as their real conference test. I think Kansas is far more likely to drop a game over the coming weeks than is Memphis. And that is due largely to the lack of competition the Tigers will face.

In a moment of pure insanity yesterday after the win, I decided to check out IC.

Let me tell you folks, you know we're good when they have two or three serious threads about what it's going to take to beat us.

I wouldn't say they're scared of us right now, but they're definitely taking us very seriously.

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    In a moment of pure insanity yesterday, I decided to check out IC.

Let me tell you folks, you know we're good when they have two or three serious threads about what it's going to take to beat us.

I wouldn't say they're scared of us right now, but they're definitely taking us very seriously.
    they should.

dth.

No.1-worthy?

James Worthy has never been No. 1 at anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HumboldtDevil View Post
    I think people are starting to come around on a couple of things regarding Duke and rankings/expectations.

First, Duke is being lumped into the group of schools that are considered the best in the country this year. A couple weeks ago everybody had Kansas, Memphis, North Carolina, and UCLA as the clear-cut national title contenders. UNC and UCLA are still in that group, more or less, but aren't quite as highly thought of at the moment. However, Duke has jumped into the same discussion, even if the Devils still aren't as highly thought of. This whole discussion is kind of silly, though. In college football and basketball the media are going to try an anoint some team or teams as the best in the country way too early in the season. It could actually affect things in college football because how a team is perceived could impact voters and rankings and the BCS. In basketball it is all pretty pointless since we'll have a tournament that will decide everything in the end. I'm perfectly fine with Duke not being talked about like Memphis or Kansas right now, even if the Devils are just as good. But everybody will lose between now and the NCAAs. Some will fall further than others, but every good team will look very beatable and very dangerous as different points. This reluctance to place Duke firmly in the same group as the previously mentioned could change in the next week or so depending on what happens in Chapel Hill, though.

And speaking of Chapel Hill, the second thing that I think is starting to happen with the perception of this Duke team is that people are starting to see that North Carolina isn't better than Duke just because. People think of Hansbrough and preseason expectations and last year, then they have to realize that it doesn't really matter. Duke is way better than most thought it'd be, North Carolina isn't as dominant as some people thought they'd be, and well, Hansbrough is damn good, but not so good that Carolina will just feed him for 50 and 30 against undersized Duke. The last two weekends have done a lot to change this perception of Duke being the underdog in the rivalry this season. Maryland goes to Chapel Hill and wins a shocker, Duke goes to Maryland and comes back to win a game in which the Terps arguably played better offensively than they did a week earlier (no argument if you look at the stats). Duke has taken care of business in ACC play while Carolina has sputtered a bit (one loss, two nail biters). And if you're gonna consider UNC an elite team or a national title contender it is pretty silly to not put Duke in the same group of teams that have a chance to do a lot of damage in the tournament.
    First off I don't want Duke to be ranked #1. Sure it would be nice to add another season where Duke was ranked #1 at least one time during the year. But the lower Duke flies under the radar I think the better it is for this team. It's nice some people are starting to lump Duke in with the preseason elite teams now. But just wearing a Duke jersey makes them a target EVERY night, and the higher Duke is ranked the bigger the target.

While I agree Memphis hasn't played the schedule of your normal #1 or #2 ranked team. (Kind of like UNLV in 1991, and we know what happened there.) Kansas hasn't played a weak schedule and with no loses I'd still have to rank them above Duke. (Thank God there is no basketball BCS!) There is a lot of season left for every team and schools like UCLA who were picked high will probably start living up to expectations. And schools picked high like Pitt and UNC may start feeling the strain of injuries as the season winds on. (Not to mention we don't know who else may get injured / suspended on any team the rest of the way.) Before this season started I would have been thrilled with as high as a #3 seed. Now that we've all been pleasantly surprised (even the most optimistic fan has been pleasantly surprised!) I'm still perfectly content with no #1 ranking and getting a #3 seed in the NCAA's. Truth be told you still have to win your games in the NCAA to advance no matter if you're a 1 seed or 16.

As for UNC, as much as I hate them their games against Duke will say a lot as to where Duke really deserves to be ranked and seeded this season. Duke has MUCH better defense, depth and any guy can hit you for 20 points on a given night. But if I were Roy Williams I'd feed the ball into TH and give him a touch every time down the court. He's going to get his points, kind of like JJ used to always get his points. But I think we all know a double team on TH is going to leave someone open. It's up to the other players (and don't think for a minute they don't have other good players) to make Duke pay. If Duke can continue clogging passing lanes, dribble penetrate for layups or kick out for a 3 and closely guard the 3 point line I think they have a good chance of beating UNC. Unfortunately like in so many UNC vs Duke games I have a bad feeling the game is going to rely in a huge part on how the game is called. Charges vs. blocks will be crucial and please for the love of Mary, can we get a couple of over the back calls to go on Dukes side for once?

If Kansas and Memphis both lose a game or two, they would still likely be above us, and I'm a little surprised that we're ahead of Carolina. When those 3 teams are cranking, they look extremely good. Of course, the way polls work, teams drop spots after a loss even though no one expects the top team to go undefeated.

On the other hand, we would look truly great only if we were playing in a league that forbade anyone from being over 6'8" or 240 pounds (sorry Zoubs). We have won the games we were favored to win and lost to the highest ranked team we've played. That's not to say that we aren't very good; not only are we very good, I think we're a lot of fun to watch. Nevertheless, our lack of inside depth is a big deal, and while we might temporarily become #1 if Memphis and Kansas lose, I'd assume that Vegas would still put us as underdogs if or when we play MU, KU, or UNC (or UCLA). Having said that, there's no reason that this team can't win 4 games in the NCAA tournament, and if you win 4, there's always a chance of winning 2 more.

At this point in the season, a #1 ranking means very little, more of a popularity contest with just a bit a talent pageant (games played) to assuage people's opinions of how good team X is compared to team Y. So now Memphis is atop the popularity contest. But who have they played? Sorry, but nobody from the C-USA should be ranked #1, especially after conference play begins, unless they beat every team by 50 pts, which Memphis doesn't.
    Yeah, UNC was #1 and they lost to a team that had some embarrassing losses after rampaging thru an OOC schedule that was pretty light and their popularity fell along with their perception, with a loss to (snicker ha-ha) MD, whom Duke convincingly beat on the road.
    UCLA was #1 and they lost to a pretty good team in Texas.
    So, why should Duke not be considered for a #1 ranking?
    Did you forget Kansas? Not to mention, we're not #1 in any of the computer polls (Pomeroy, Sagarin, RPI). On what basis SHOULD we be #1??

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    While I agree Memphis hasn't played the schedule of your normal #1 or #2 ranked team. (Kind of like UNLV in 1991, and we know what happened there.) Kansas hasn't played a weak schedule and with no loses I'd still have to rank them above Duke.
    RPI has Memphis at 32 SOS vs. 37 for Duke. Pomeroy has them at 32 vs. 30 for Duke. Since this whole conversation was based upon whether we should be #1 vs. them, on what basis shouldn't they be ranked ahead of us? We have done worse against a schedule that is at best about equal to their schedule. Don't get the rest of their schedule confused with their past slate...

I agree that right now we are below Kansas and Memphis. But, the operative term is right now. I believe that we are improving with every game, and by tournament time I think we have a real shot at these guys.
    We are a very, very young team, and still learning a lot. Give us a little time to learn more, and we will be a dangerous, dangerous team. This is not at all last years Dukies.