Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost

Lost

The season finale re-ran tonight. Was the "flash-forward" a good idea or bad idea? Initially I thought it was cool as hell, but now I just kind of feel it gave the ending away.

For those who look favorably on the "flash-forward," what do you think it adds to the show other than a cool ending to one episode? I'm still open to changing my opinion.

Thumbs up Lost

I really liked tonight's repeat episode and the additional scenes they included. I liked that they gave us the caption insert tidbits - stuff I didn't know since I don't go to the websites and play the games there. All in all I felt very satisfied when it was over, even if we don't know who was in the coffin. I hope I feel the same way when I get around to watching tomorrow night's "premier event" show. Won't watch it live, of course, I'll be in Cameron.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Other than the guy had a death wish, anybody wonder why Charlie didn't:
    A) Run outside the door of the flooding room, then batten down that hatch; or
    B) Simply swim through the blown out porthole window and float to the surface, rather than allowing himself to drown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    B) Simply swim through the blown out porthole window and float to the surface, rather than allowing himself to drown.
    Absolutely. I was still hoping Charlie would do B. Enjoyed the episode. I had forgotten so much.

I'm pretty sure it was because he was convinced it was his destiny. If you remember the second part of Desmond's vision was that he would die and people would leave the island. Charlie likely felt that it took him to die to get Claire and the baby rescued.

Of course that didn't stop me from telling my wife that he should swim out of the porthole.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Initially I thought it was cool as hell, but now I just kind of feel it gave the ending away.
    The ending??? You assume too much... You assume that there won't be more happening off the island after that... You assume they won't get back to the island...

The producers have said that there will be more flash forwards, so Pacer could be right. I hope not, but he/she could be.

Honestly, I thought it was one of the coolest moments I have experienced in TV in my short lifetime. I'm excited to see where they take us with the flash forwards.

One thing that I won't like is if every episode we are constantly guessing if something is in the past or in the future. That would get pretty annoying quickly I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was because he was convinced it was his destiny. If you remember the second part of Desmond's vision was that he would die and people would leave the island. Charlie likely felt that it took him to die to get Claire and the baby rescued.

Of course that didn't stop me from telling my wife that he should swim out of the porthole.
    I think the idea was that the water was coming in too fast for him to swim against it, plus he blew his chance at escape by swimming back to the door and delivering his message to Desmond... of course, in that case, he should never have had time to write "not Penny's boat" on his hand either.

I was incredibly annoyed by those pop-ups. By the end of it, my husband was making sarcastic comments like, "Look, that's a lot of water! People can't breathe very well under water. I wonder if he's going to die from lack of air?..." and his commentary was only marginally more inane that what was being shown on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Yeah, I said the same thing when the episode first ran. It made me sad again to see Charlie die.

Re: the captions explaining the plot. I felt like they were making a mockery of Lost. The only thing that was worse was the Locke montage set to "Crazy" (by Pasty Cline?). And yes, I have been known to be a Lost message board dork in the past.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I was incredibly annoyed by those pop-ups. By the end of it, my husband was making sarcastic comments like, "Look, that's a lot of water! People can't breathe very well under water. I wonder if he's going to die from lack of air?..." and his commentary was only marginally more inane that what was being shown on screen.
    I'm assuming the idea with the pop-ups was to bring occasional or non-existent (but curious) Lost viewers "into the fold" by giving them the backstory, and using snark "pop-up video" style to make it interesting.

I think they failed.

I thought the snark had its moments (I'm a fan of snark-- shocking, I'm sure), but I imagine an uninitiated viewer would just be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of backstory, not to mention the nonsensicality* of it.

I think they would have been better off making the comments occasional and with only the absolute minimum backstory necessary to understand what's coming up in future episodes. Things like Sayyid is ex-paramilitary, Jack is the leader and a doctor, the existance of the Sawyer-Jack-Kate triangle (but not much else about it), who the groups on the island are, etc.

--alteran

*Not a word, but everyone knows what I mean. God I love English.

I went back and forth on the popups. I found them amusing at times, and I could see that they would help the neophyte, but I often had to rewind in order to catch both the action and the popups. Worse, the tone of the popups does not match the tone of the show. Irony is fundamental to Jon Stewart, but I can't think of any Lost character who has much of a sense of humor. In fact, every one of them is relentlessly earnest--Hurley has his moments but nothing like the Crazy theme playing during the Locke montage. The island riddles do remove the viewer from the narrative and set people like me on wild goose chases, and there is a tendency for the characters to reflect philosophical ideas rather than 3-dimensional people, but the basic story line allows the viewer to get involved with the story rather than immediately analyze (I'd tend to analyze after seeing the show rather than during an initial viewing).

On the other hand, it is a confusing show unless you've seen every episode, and the popups were often clever, so who knows.

My wife and I have been catching up on DVD for the past few months. I had already seen seasons 1 and 2, but we got married in October and she hadn't seen a single episode. It just so happened that we had gotten to the Season 3 finale last night.

I had similar thought about Charlie escaping. I think that getting out of the door would have been doable. I think the swimming through port hole would have been problematic because (a) the force of the water pouring in and (b) the port hole looked to small for him to fit through. Having just watched the "Greatest Hits" episode with the best moments of Charlie's life, I was resigned to the idea that he would die. I thought it was nice that Naomi told him that his memorial service celebrated him as a rockstar and that Driveshaft had released an album.

As for the flash forward, my wife picked up on it right away for some reason. I don't know how, but she knew it as soon as she saw Jack on the plane. I was suspicious when Sarah showed up at the hospital and had a wedding ring on. We knew that Jack found out about her marriage from Juliet on the island. I have to admit that I'm also a little disappointed that their exodus from the island is revealed.

After watching 5 seasons (Seasons 1 and 2 twice) of Lost, tonight will be my first episode of Lost that is not watched on DVD. I'm very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    After watching 5 seasons (Seasons 1 and 2 twice) of Lost, tonight will be my first episode of Lost that is not watched on DVD. I'm very excited.
    Excitment is good, but you'll find quickly it takes far too long between episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Excitment is good, but you'll find quickly it takes far too long between episodes.
    I have anticipated that. My wife and I often finish an episode on DVD and say, "It would be awful to wait more than 30 seconds to find out what happens."

Say it ain't so, juise

tonight will be my first episode of Lost that is not watched on DVD. I'm very excited.
    But you are going to watch it recorded on your DVR or Tivo, aren't you? You have something else far more important to watch in real time. At least the second hour, anyway.

9F 9F 9F

excellent point ozzie.

this is going to be a late night, gotta make sure I get my nap in this afternoon! I'm getting way too old.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    But you are going to watch it recorded on your DVR or Tivo, aren't you? You have something else far more important to watch in real time. At least the second hour, anyway.
    I live in Portland, OR, my friend. I get to double dip. I love the West Coast.

Oh, and I didn't watch much of the season 3 finale on ABC, but I did see the commentary when Hurley came in with the van. For those who missed it, they said that the scene was inspired by Hans Solo swooping in to save Luke in the original Star Wars.

I live in Portland, OR, my friend. I get to double dip. I love the West Coast.
    Let's see. 3 hours difference, so our game starts at 6 pst and Lost at 8. You'll probably miss the first 10 minutes of Lost live, so you'll get to FF through at least 2 commercial sets before catching up to real time.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    The season finale re-ran tonight. Was the "flash-forward" a good idea or bad idea? Initially I thought it was cool as hell, but now I just kind of feel it gave the ending away.

For those who look favorably on the "flash-forward," what do you think it adds to the show other than a cool ending to one episode? I'm still open to changing my opinion.
    trust me - its not close to the ending.