Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Duke MBB vs. N.C. State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Post your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

After seeing what we did against a team with two of the better PG in the conference in terms of forcing turnovers, I'm excited to see what we can do against a team that is forced to play a freshman (Gonzalez) or a transfer combo guard (Johnson) at PG. If we force another 20-25 turnovers and aren't abysmal shooting (or really careless with the ball ourselves), I don't see State having much of a shot.

The big concern for me will be whether or not Lowe can finally figure out how to use his three talented big men together effectively. Hickson has been terrific, but Costner and McCauley have gone from All-ACC caliber to barely existent.

One player to keep an eye on from State is Fells, who has been terrific lately. He's always had immense talent, but has been completely inconsistent up until the beginning of 2008. But starting with the UNC game, Fells has averaged 17.6 ppg (with a low game of 14) while shooting 58.9% from the field.

But again, if we can force turnovers and get some easy buckets, I don't think State can score 80-90 points with us. They put up 62 against UNC and 54 against Clemson. Those teams get up and down the floor like us, but they don't defend quite as well.

Hickson will probably present some significant challenges on the defensive end, so we'll once again need to make sure that he doesn't get the ball/offensive boards by forcing turnovers. We are a better team than NC State and I just hope that we play like one.

Though I'm still waiting on the UNC game next week to give a definitive, long-term assessment of our team, I think this team's identity is pretty much solidified. Whether or not Duke has a chance at winning any particular game will come down to two things: 1) How well we shoot from the field (duh) and 2) How many turnovers we force. Our pressure defense is the way we negate our lack of size by taking away the vision of the ballhandler; you can't feed the post if there's no line of vision to it. If we allow teams to set up their halfcourt offense, our size becomes a much bigger problem for us.

Given NC State's PG woes, I see Duke's pressure creating a lot of problems for the Wolfpack, whose offense has looked just atrocious in the games I've seen. We took it to them in Raleigh last year when they had PG issues and tomorrow is no different; they have nobody to consistently initiate the offense. This plays right into Duke's hands.

Hickson, Costner and McAuley provide potential problems for us. Hickson might be the most skilled big man we'll see until we travel up 15-501 in a week. Even with those three guys up front, the reality is that they haven't yet been able to mesh and play off of each other so that should favor Duke.

Duke could get caught looking ahead to UNC but I think that's more of a concern with Miami on Saturday. This is a game I see Duke winning by about 15 points.

One more thing

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Hickson, Costner and McAuley provide potential problems for us. Hickson might be the most skilled big man we'll see until we travel up 15-501 in a week. Even with those three guys up front, the reality is that they haven't yet been able to mesh and play off of each other so that should favor Duke.
    All true, but you can't play three big guys at once in college ball, especially against Duke. I'm curious to see if State can play two of them at once. I'm also curious to see if Singler can take advantage on the offensive end. My guess is yes.

Everything that I can see points to a comfortable win.

Pack have no depth, no point guard and appear from watching chemistry is an issue.

However this game feels like it could be closer then expected.

It doesn't look like the game is well televised (i.e. not on any channels I get). Is it on anything national?

Espn2

the duece

Espn2

sat vs miami

Not sure we get that or pac 10 on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    After seeing what we did against a team with two of the better PG in the conference in terms of forcing turnovers, I'm excited to see what we can do against a team that is forced to play a freshman (Gonzalez) or a transfer combo guard (Johnson) at PG. If we force another 20-25 turnovers and aren't abysmal shooting (or really careless with the ball ourselves), I don't see State having much of a shot.

The big concern for me will be whether or not Lowe can finally figure out how to use his three talented big men together effectively. Hickson has been terrific, but Costner and McCauley have gone from All-ACC caliber to barely existent.

One player to keep an eye on from State is Fells, who has been terrific lately. He's always had immense talent, but has been completely inconsistent up until the beginning of 2008. But starting with the UNC game, Fells has averaged 17.6 ppg (with a low game of 14) while shooting 58.9% from the field.

But again, if we can force turnovers and get some easy buckets, I don't think State can score 80-90 points with us. They put up 62 against UNC and 54 against Clemson. Those teams get up and down the floor like us, but they don't defend quite as well.
    My thoughts exactly. Agree 100%

good game

I think that this will be a better game than people on DBR think.

NC State does not have a consistant PG right now, but Gonzalez has shown he can play. He had 9 points, 2 steals and 0 turnovers in the game vs. GT last week.

And Duke has prooven that they can not stop the inside game, they definatley could not stop Osby for Maryland on Sunday who scored 20+ points (all from the strike or the paint) in the last game.

3 point shooting will be the key for Duke, if they get started from downtown State will not be able to stop the devils.

But if Hickson, Costner, McCauley play big underneath and have good game from the post, i dont think that Duke will be able to keep up with points in the paint.

Don't look past Courtney Fells either, he is a great 3 point shooter and has hit 2 game winning 3's this year in ACC play.

I will be at the game, and hopefully it will be like most of the ACC games so far this year.

enigmatic

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I think that this will be a better game than people on DBR think.

NC State does not have a consistant PG right now, but Gonzalez has shown he can play. He had 9 points, 2 steals and 0 turnovers in the game vs. GT last week.

And Duke has prooven that they can not stop the inside game, they definatley could not stop Osby for Maryland on Sunday who scored 20+ points (all from the strike or the paint) in the last game.

3 point shooting will be the key for Duke, if they get started from downtown State will not be able to stop the devils.

But if Hickson, Costner, McCauley play big underneath and have good game from the post, i dont think that Duke will be able to keep up with points in the paint.

Don't look past Courtney Fells either, he is a great 3 point shooter and has hit 2 game winning 3's this year in ACC play.

I will be at the game, and hopefully it will be like most of the ACC games so far this year.
    Reading this you would never think NC State was 13-6, 2-3 in ACC with losses to New Orleans and East Carolina. They are one of the most perplexing teams in the league this year.

Getting ready for the State game

There are certain games which will be exciting no matter what's going on with the opposing team's personnel... NC State is likely to bring that sort of game tomorrow night.

State's fortunes of late are a contrast to their history going back to the 50's and 60's. With the level of play throughout the ACC now, it's amazing to think back to what it was like when Everett Case first arrived at State bringing with him the beginning of what we now know as college basketball. So much we take for granted today began during that era. I think back to Norm Sloan who often wore a red jacket at games. His wife used to sing the national anthem before the home contests in the old William Neal Reynolds Coliseum. Cameron Crazies frequently parodied her performances with a guy dressed in dreadful drag out on the court pretending to sing. Then there was Jim Valvano who came in with such passion that it was just a question of which minute mark would be the one when he would tear his jacket (if he still had it on) or rip the inseam of his slacks while gyrating about outside the coach's box. Such colorful memories characterize the Duke - State games over the years!

Remembering the discussion about what colors to wear tomorrow night and also noting the hotter temperatures in Cameron this season, I made a quick trip to the Duck Shop this afternoon when I had some unexpected business in the area... selected some short sleeved Duke blue shirts, but didn't found the headgear I was looking for... perhaps next time.

Tomorrow night I'll wave to you guys when the camera turns my way... left of the Pep Band, four rows up.
    Go Duke!

GoDuke.com's Game Notes

Always pleasantly surprised by some of the numbers in these things

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1378094

• 4 Duke has not allowed more than four made three-point field goals in its five ACC games. They are holding opponents to an ACC-low .266 (17-of-64) three-point field goal percentage.
    and

• .592 Gerald Henderson is shooting .592 (29-of-49) from the field in conference only games this season. His field goal percentage is the second highest in the ACC and he also ranks 12th in scoring at 16.0 points per game in ACC contests.
    and

• 23 Junior Greg Paulus has made his last 23 free throw attempts, including a perfect 14-for-14 in five ACC games to lead the conference.

Wow

The stat on Paulus's (does the apostrophe come before or after the "s
    " I always forget that rule) free throw shooting blew my mind, I would have never guessed that about him. Way to go Greg

(lemme try to have some fun with this one; not trying to hijack thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    The stat on Paulus's (does the apostrophe come before or after the "s
    " I always forget that rule) free throw shooting blew my mind, I would have never guessed that about him. Way to go Greg
    1) Paulus.
    2) Paulus' grandfather; Paulus' free throw shooting.
    3) Paulus's new car.

(somehow I'm wanting to remember if it's true possession then an apostrophe s follows even the s given in a last name). ?

Anyone feel free to chime in but in no way am I trying to hijack this worthy thread, thanks.

dth.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

NC State

Starters
    Johnson 6-5, SO
    Fells 6-5, JR
    Grant 6-7, SR
    Hickson 6-9, FR
    McCauley 6-10, JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
    Costner 6-9, SO
    Horner 6-8, SO
    Gonzalez 6-0, FR

Notes
    • NCSU shoots 46% FG, 71% FT, and 33% from 3.
    • Duke shoots 49% FG, 70% FT, and 38% from 3.
    • 4 NCSU players average double figures (Hickson 15.3, Grant 13.2, Fells 11.2, & Costner 9.6) in points per game.
    • 4 Duke players average double figures (Nelson 14.8, Henderson 13.6, Singler 12.9, & Scheyer 10.7) in points per game.
    • Hickson has not attempted a 3 pointer this year.
    • Fells leads the Wolfpack in 3s with 33 made at a 39% clip.
    • 4 Devils shoot over 40% in 3's (King 44%, Nelson 42%, Scheyer 41%, & Paulus 41%).
    • 3 Wolfpack players have more than 40 TOs (Costner 53, Hickson 49, & Grant 44).
    • 1 Duke player has more than 40 TOs (Singler 41).
    • NCSU averages 67.4 PTs, 35.3 RB, 1/1.2 A:TO, 5.2 STLS, & 5.3 BLKs per game.
    • Duke averages 85.2 PTs, 37.6 RBs, 1.1/1 A:TO, 8.7 STLs, & 4.2 BLKs per game.

Outlook
    I don't see NCSU being able to hang with Duke for the whole game but I wouldn't be suprised to see Duke let down emotionally after playing two road games at a high intensity level. Ultimately NCSU's proclivity for TOs will prove too much for the Wolfpack. I also like Duke to have a good night from 3, they are overdue, and NCSU's help defense is always one extra pass away from breaking down.

on the deuce or not?

The N&O has the game as "ESPN2, subject to blackout". I've not seen this listing before. Meaning?

State will hang in there for 20 minutes, maybe a little more. After that, seeeeee yyyaaaaa. Go Duke.