Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Duke will purchase carbon offsets equivalent to the electricity, steam and transportation consumed by the game, working in partnership with the renewable-energy company NativeEnergy.

Now that I know that the game will be carbon neutral I have no more worries about the result of the game.

Yes that is sarcasm. We do have an off topic board for political (religious?) topics. This discussion really belongs there.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Duke will purchase carbon offsets equivalent to the electricity, steam and transportation consumed by the game, working in partnership with the renewable-energy company NativeEnergy.

Now that I know that the game will be carbon neutral I have no more worries about the result of the game.

Yes that is sarcasm. We do have an off topic board for political (religious?) topics. This discussion really belongs there.
    It also involves Duke basketball and thus will stay on the Duke basketball board.

Statements

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2367142/

Is it just me, or do others feel that Cameron is a place for watching BASKETBALL games, and not making "statements". Its not that I hate the environment, far from it, but I go to Cameron to support the team, not the "green movement".

I'll be wearing the same blue shirt that I always wear. I frankly don't even like the non blue/white Duke shirts that have become such the rage.

While I TOTALLY agree with this post it brings up something I have heard and questioned many times over the last 20 years. While I don't see the environment as a true "political" statement (yes the government can implement laws but we all have to do our part) but I view it as a world issue that needs addressing more than anything else. I have been told by members of my family that during the late 1960's and early 1970's Duke students at football and basketball games would not stand during the singing / playing of the national anthem. (Apparently in protest of Vietnam.) I've been told this "protest" was common at many schools across the nation, and I know schools like Kent State and Berkley for examples had much more extreme confrontations. I also have seen footage of the Olympic games where athletes raised their right fist to symbolize "black power" on the medal platform.

The 60's were a different era than now, and I realize views change over time and intentions no matter how good can be viewed positively and negatively in retrospect. But I'd like to know if the sitting during the national anthem at Duke games is in fact true for one. And I'd like opinions by those who might have seen it, how it was perceived back then and by those who didn't see it now. Are there any causes today worthy of todays students doing something radical. The streaker from several years back did something radical, but I think it was in support of a website if memory serves correctly.

Not to be argumentative, Jumbo, but how does it involve Duke Basketball? Whether the students wear green, blue or any other color will not affect how the team plays in any way, shape or form. The only thing I want to see when I watch a Duke Basketball game is Duke scoring more points that the opposition.

This better only be a one game only kind of thing. The only reason there is going to be a game with NC State in Cameron on Thursday is because of BASKETBALL. That's the important issue here, not recycling. Please.

If seperating plastics and glass from ordinary throw aways is more important to someone than cheering on Duke Blue Devil Basketball, then that someone should stay in the corridor and man the trash barrels. I would have no problem with those volunteers wearing green boxes over their heads as long as I couldn't see them.

This is unfortunate. Cameron is a basketball cathedral, not a tree-hugger fantasy camp.

I agree with DBFan and Blue Devil Jay. Duke University is very LAME for trying to exploit itself in this manner. How absurd. Get this crap out of our stadium and take it elsewhere.

John McCain '08
    Last edited by Cameron; 01-29-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Not to be argumentative, Jumbo, but how does it involve Duke Basketball? Whether the students wear green, blue or any other color will not affect how the team plays in any way, shape or form. The only thing I want to see when I watch a Duke Basketball game is Duke scoring more points that the opposition.
    It's about an event taking place at a Duke basketball game in Cameron.

I will wear black to symbolize the death of good taste and common sense. Also because its my only clean Duke T-shirt. Also because this seems silly, and I am tired of Cameron pimping crap like every other stadium in America.

This week T-shirts, a couple of weeks ago towels to swing about**... what's next... a white out a la Penn State? Perhaps a black out a la UGa? Maybe we could all wear matching tye-dyed T's!?!?! Wouldn't that be f-ing awesome!?!! Or perhaps we could hand out giant swirly-signs and foam bricks to distract free throw shooters! What about getting rid of the pep band and piping that damn o-o-o-o o-o-o-o-o o-o o o-o o o! song into Cameron like they do in Seattle and at Wake and at Maryland and at Clemson and at...? Yeah that will be coooooool!

** With all apologies to Herb, I mean, it was awesome that they had you surfing during Wipeout that night, but seriously, free towels stunk!
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I will wear black to symbolize the death of good taste and common sense. Also because its my only clean Duke T-shirt. Also because this seems silly, and I am tired of Cameron pimping crap like every other stadium in America.

This week T-shirts, a couple of weeks ago towels to swing about**... what's next... a white out a la Penn State? Perhaps a black out a la UGa? Maybe we could all wear matching tye-dyed T's!?!?! Wouldn't that be f-ing awesome!?!! Or perhaps we could hand out giant swirly-signs and foam bricks to distract free throw shooters! What about getting rid of the pep band and piping that damn o-o-o-o o-o-o-o-o o-o o o-o o o! song into Cameron like they do in Seattle and at Wake and at Maryland and at Clemson and at...? Yeah that will be coooooool!

** With all apologies to Herb, I mean, it was awesome that they had you surfing during Wipeout that night, but seriously, free towels stunk!
    I'd agree with you if they were handing out generic Duke t-shirts. But this is a unique situation -- the students are making a statement -- and I don't see it as part of any slippery slope.

But its NOT the first time they've handed stuff out. And it appears to be news to the students... at least the majority of them. Note that the article even says "The University announced..."

Regardless... this is not the first time that they're giving junk out at the door and saying, "here... display this during the game".
    WWJDD?

On the basketball board we talk about basketball. In basketball arenas we are about basketball. In front of the arena, outside of the arena, on the quad, whatever, there you have your demonstrations or advocacy moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    On the basketball board we talk about basketball. In basketball arenas we are about basketball. In front of the arena, outside of the arena, on the quad, whatever, there you have your demonstrations or advocacy moments.
    That's your opinion. You are entitled to it. But do you see that other people can feel differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    To me, that is Duke University exploiting the team for its own personal benefit, and I won't stand for that.
    I am shocked - shocked and dismayed - by the prospect of a university exploiting student-athletes for its own personal benefit. And it's not even for something legitimate, like pure greed.

Ooooooo

The Ooooo, ooooo song I think you are referring to is Zombie Nation by Kernkraft 400. Although I love that song (brings back special memories of some fun raves) you aren't the only one that hates it and I like it less knowing Wake uses it often at their basketball games. Me thinks if a song were titled "Zombie Nation" I wouldn't use it as a pep song. Doesn't that infer a schools / teams fans are nothing but a bunch of mindless zombies with no control over who they pull for? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

The back and forth between Jumbo and Mullet has had me snickering quite a bit, but a question just popped into my head. Can a moderator censor or ban another mod? Get em' JB!!!!!

I am shocked - shocked and dismayed - by the prospect of a university exploiting student-athletes for its own personal benefit. And it's not even for something legitimate, like pure greed.
    Uh...Yeah, you win

I guess I should have just said I don't want to see green shirts on my television screen Thursday. How's that?

No, it's not. It's just the absurdity of the whole situation that bothers me. Duke University has no business trying to platform its global warming/saving trees/live and breathe/let's all save and believe progaganda at a basketball game.
    Again, the article says this is a national "student-driven effort" and the first person quoted as a leader is a Duke grad student, not a Duke University official. Meanwhile, I think your derogatory "global warming/saving trees/live and breathe/let's all save and believe progaganda" statement reveals more about your own biases than anything negative you could say about the situation.

Cameron is home to the Blue Devils, after all. Why try and overshadow the importance of the team beating NC State with enviromental protests?
    I don't think the intent is to "overshadow" anything. It's to draw attention to an issue people about which some students are passionate. Those who believe in it will wear green shirts. Those who don't will not. But sporting events, entertainment and host of other areas have ALWAYS been considered venues through which to make a statement. Sports capture the public's attention. Otherwise, why have a fly-over with military jets before the Super Bowl? Why have the President throw out the first pitch on Opening Day? Why honor charitable workers at halftime? All of those things draw attention away from the game, technically.

I have nothing wrong with this type of awareness activity being demonstrated, but just not at a Duke Basketball game.
    So, where should it happen? And would you have a problem with individual students choosing to where individual outfits with individually tailored messages? Is it the mass-nature of this movement that bothers you?

To me, that is Duke University exploiting the team for its own personal benefit, and I won't stand for that.
    How is the "team" being exploited? If the Crazies are voluntarily wearing t-shirts, they aren't exploiting anyone. If the students are helping organize this, Duke University isn't exploiting anyone. And if you won't stand for it, what do you plan to do about it? Sit for it?

I shudder to think what might happen to you if Taylor King announced that he was going to donate $10 for alternative fuel research for every 3 he hit...

Origin of recent freebes

The items you mentioned being handed out at basketball games were ads for a corporate sponsor or partner, a cell phone company, not the university.

Wow guys, I just want to see people wear school colors to a basketball game. This is an issue I had even BEFORE they proposed wearing green. Frankly, I just don't like that they are handing out green shirts, yet they haven't handed out blue shirts ONCE.

If the university is gonna pay to hand out T-shirts, I'd prefer they be oriented to school spirit, rather than a social/global/political/whatever the heck you wanna call it "movement". I preferred the towels, at least they got people fired up.

This could mark the shift to green as the next school color. Black is so '90s.

Student driven. Good cause. Conservation isn't political, to my mind. Will get press because it's Cameron. Go for it.

Shirts, towels....

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Wow guys, I just want to see people wear school colors to a basketball game. This is an issue I had even BEFORE they proposed wearing green. Frankly, I just don't like that they are handing out green shirts, yet they haven't handed out blue shirts ONCE.

If the university is gonna pay to hand out T-shirts, I'd prefer they be oriented to school spirit, rather than a social/global/political/whatever the heck you wanna call it "movement". I preferred the towels, at least they got people fired up.
    I agree about handing out school colors. I would love to see Cameron or Wallace Wade Duke blue for home games.... what a beautiful sight!

The blue shirts handed out in the past at football games were also corporate ads, very cheaply made and smelled bad.... that's another thread, I guess!