Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Green in Cameron?

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2367142/

Is it just me, or do others feel that Cameron is a place for watching BASKETBALL games, and not making "statements". Its not that I hate the environment, far from it, but I go to Cameron to support the team, not the "green movement".

I'll be wearing the same blue shirt that I always wear. I frankly don't even like the non blue/white Duke shirts that have become such the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post

Is it just me, or do others feel that Cameron is a place for watching BASKETBALL games, and not making "statements". Its not that I hate the environment, far from it, but I go to Cameron to support the team, not the "green movement".

I'll be wearing the same blue shirt that I always wear. I frankly don't even like the non blue/white Duke shirts that have become such the rage.
    I agree. Leave out the political statements. Cameron is for BB (and for lovers).

The Blue Devil mascot also will have a slight costume change during the game
    Goodbye Blue Devil; Hello Greenzo!

Green and the heat

The current heat wave in Cameron may make those green shirts change color because of sweating!

I agree, plus there are other ways of getting the message across without telling everyone to dress in green. The line monitors can make the wristbands for that game green, they could have green silicone bands (like the "Livestrong" bands), or something like that. No need to have the Crazies dress in green.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I agree. Leave out the political statements. Cameron is for BB (and for lovers).
    What does being green have to do with politics?

political statements

As long as they don't disrupt the game or demand that I follow suit, I have no problem with any students or fans who feel it's important to make this -- or any other -- political statement. Especially something as passive as wearing a green tee-shirt.

I'll be wearing a blue shirt, but maybe I'll wear an Obama button.

PS Any other oldtimes remember the bit of guerrilla theater that disrupted a game in the late 1960s? During a timeout, a bunch of students jumped on the court and staged an anti-Vietnam War playlet -- they set up a peaceful Vietnamese village and had a dozen US "soldiers" sweep through and destroy the village, killing all the women and children. Not very subtle. Definately not Tony-worthy ... and disruptive of the game. I have more sympathy for the students who expressed their opposition to the war by not standing for the national anthem (a big issue in the late '60s and early '70s).

ugh. it's basketball, not congress... sheesh.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

I think this is a great thing. If the students feel passionate about something, it is fully within their right to express that feeling. Student activism has always been a hallmark of change in this country, and the Cameron Crazies have a rare national audience through which to advocate change. The game will still go on, they will cheer as loud as ever and Duke will play as hard as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I agree, plus there are other ways of getting the message across without telling everyone to dress in green. The line monitors can make the wristbands for that game green, they could have green silicone bands (like the "Livestrong" bands), or something like that. No need to have the Crazies dress in green.
    I think blue shirts with green shorts would be appropriate.

- della

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I think this is a great thing. If the students feel passionate about something, it is fully within their right to express that feeling. Student activism has always been a hallmark of change in this country, and the Cameron Crazies have a rare national audience through which to advocate change. The game will still go on, they will cheer as loud as ever and Duke will play as hard as ever.
    agree 100%

Yeah, I'm kind of ambivalent on this. It's going to be one funky mesh of blue and green in the student section, I'd imagine. Kind of wish they sent a message to the students to fill us in though.

Edit: read it a bit more carefully, this IS student driven.

Not a huge deal, I just think we have enough trouble turning the place blue, the last thing we need is a competing color. I applaud all the rest of the ideas that are being done for this game. I'll still be wearing blue though.

The problem is that this isn't coming through the students, its coming through the administration, making it fairly obnoxious and contrived, and meaning that the student section is probably going to be a fairly obnoxious mix of green and blue...

Not a huge deal, I just think we have enough trouble turning the place blue, the last thing we need is a competing color. I applaud all the rest of the ideas that are being done for this game. I'll still be wearing blue though.
    The national effort is student driven, and it may or may not be student driven here... but as a student this is the first I heard about it, and apparently the administration is going to try to pretty much just shove this down the Crazies throats...

I would propose green headbands/sweatbands instead of shirts. I guess the statement wouldn't be as strong, though.

the problem with this whole thing is that its not something they're trying to advertise and build support for, so the people who care about this can come to the game or so people who disagree with the idea can argue about it. Apparently they're just going to hand out the t-shirts at the game and tell people to wear them...
    which honestly makes the contrary part of me just want to wear blue (or purple for that matter) just because I don't like being pressured to make a political statement without being given warning first

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    I think blue shirts with green shorts would be appropriate.

- della
    Green!... Shorts!... Green!... Shorts!...

Brings back memories!

-jk

Huh? I said it was student-driven.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    The problem is that this isn't coming through the students, its coming through the administration, making it fairly obnoxious and contrived, and meaning that the student section is probably going to be a fairly obnoxious mix of green and blue...
    That's not what the article said.