Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lost (1/31/08) SPOILERS

I watched the episode during commercials and halftime last night, so I wasn't paying all that much attention. It seemed to me that the crux of the episode was setting up the rest of the season: Locke's camp vs. Jack's camp, with a little Ben and Jacob sprinkled in.

The obvious revelation was the existence of the "Oceanic Six." So far, four have been identified: Jack, Kate, Hurley and "the man from New York who died visiting California." I'd guess that the fifth is Sawyer as the husband/boyfriend that Kate revealed in the Season 3 finale. I have no idea who the "man from New York" and the sixth man are though. Any thoughts?

I cannot possibly start wrapping my head around who the other two people are yet, but I AM thoroughly confused. Reminds me of the good old days

For more detailed analysis and thoughts, this site clarified a lot of things for me:
    http://lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Beginning_of_the_End

My take (still spoilers)

I was actually kinda disappointed in this episode. It didn't feature any action that we couldn't already have guessed (although Hurley seeing Jacob's house was wild) and the flash-forward was more interesting than the actual events on the island. The only surprise was that it was Hurley and not Locke or Desmond who galvanized the group to distrust the freighter people.

My analysis for what we've seen so far: we know that Claire and Aaron get on a helicopter which Desmond claims is a "rescue" helicopter and he is rarely wrong in these matters. So that would make the O6 Jack, Kate, Hurley, Claire, and Aaron plus 1 other. My vote is for Michael or Walt. (although in that case, you're left with the question of what happens to Sun and the baby)

Judging from what we've seen so far, I think that the Oceanic 6 are lying about there being other survivors of the plane crash. I think that they tell the rest of the world that everyone else died when in reality, the Freighters either kill a substantial portion of them, or are holding them hostage on the island. Since we know that Ben, at least, knows how to get information on and off the island, my guess is that the Freighters threatened to kill/otherwise punish some of our heroes unless those who were sent off the island kept up the story.

In this case, it leaves open the possibility that Jack and Co. will seek out Penny Widmore to get back on the island, probably just as the credits for season 4 were starting to roll. Of course now since we only have 8 episodes, what they'll do or where we'll be left in the story is anyone's guess.

In spite of the criticisms, however, so excited to be "back on the island."
    Last edited by blublood; 02-01-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I can't count

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I was actually kinda disappointed in this episode. It didn't feature any action that we couldn't already have guessed (although Hurley seeing Jacob's house was wild) and the flash-forward was more interesting than the actual events on the island. The only surprise was that it was Hurley and not Locke or Desmond who galvanized the group to distrust the freighter people.

My analysis for what we've seen so far: we know that Claire and Aaron get on a helicopter which Desmond claims is a "rescue" helicopter and he is rarely wrong in these matters. So that would make the O6 Jack, Kate, Hurley, Claire, and Aaron plus 1 other. My vote is for Michael or Walt. (although in that case, you're left with the question of what happens to Sun and the baby)

Judging from what we've seen so far, I think that the Oceanic 6 are lying about there being other survivors of the plane crash. I think that they tell the rest of the world that everyone else died when in reality, the Freighters either kill a substantial portion of them, or are holding them hostage on the island. Since we know that Ben, at least, knows how to get information on and off the island, my guess is that the Freighters threatened to kill/otherwise punish some of our heroes unless those who were sent off the island kept up the story.

In this case, it leaves open the possibility that Jack and Co. will seek out Penny Widmore to get back on the island, probably just as the credits for season 4 were starting to roll. Of course now since we only have 8 episodes, what they'll do or where we'll be left in the story is anyone's guess.

In spite of the criticisms, however, so excited to be "back on the island."
    Judging from Jack's neither friend not family reaction to the casket guy, and Kate's reaction of unmitigated dislike of the casket guy (meaning it couldn't be Sawyer), I'm assuming that casket guy is Linus. I can't think of anyone else who would trigger remembrance of the island that fits.

Another interesting tidbit

Probably everybody caught this, but it sure is interesting thematically. Matthew Abaddon, the guy who visits Hurley in the mental ward - Abaddon is the Hebrew word for the bottomless pit, the final place of destruction for Satan and his angels described in Revelation.

Per Lostpedia, Christian Shepherd was in the rocking chair in Jacob's cabin. WTF? I completely missed this. I'll have to check tonight.

While I was hard-up for some Lost action and therefore in no position to give a fair assessment, I think this was a really good episode. However, was there really a need to see Charlie's slow drowning death a third time in 2 days? Geez!

I thought in last season's finale, Kate had a husband? If so, that would seem to strongly imply that sawyer was part of the oceanic six...

Which is exactly what dcarp said in the original post, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    I thought in last season's finale, Kate had a husband? If so, that would seem to strongly imply that sawyer was part of the oceanic six...

Husband was never mentioned in the flash forward - just 'him' it could be Aaron for all we know, and Kate is taking care of the little boy.

It could be Locke that died...that would trigger the same answer from Jack, particularly in light of last nights episode. I don't think there is anything that would get Ben off the island...so who is left that is neither family nor freind (unless it is one of the yet to be introduced 'rescuers')?

As for the Oceanic Six...is it possible (since Jack refers to his father as being alive in the flashfowards from the season finale) that they are counting him? I don't care how drugged up Jack was I don't think he hallucinated a still living father (and the other Dr. didn't contradict him)

He was on the plane ('cargo' is still 'on') and he seems to be substantially un-dead

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Husband was never mentioned in the flash forward - just 'him' it could be Aaron for all we know, and Kate is taking care of the little boy.

Truth be told, "him" doesn't have to refer to anyone from the island. Jack professed his love to Kate and could very well just be jealous of some new guy she's seeing.

Another good question, besides who's the eye that looks at Hurley in Jacob's cabin, is where is Jason Evans on all of this? Also BlueDiablo?

Right now we only really know 3 of the Oceanic 6 that make it off the island. The dead guy in the box isn't necessarily from the island (but I think he is). All we know is that Kate and Jack know him and neither particularly cares for him.

Now that the island is open for communication, isn't is possible for them to phone home using the sat phone? Sayid needs to get on that.

Which group did Sayid go with? Jack or Locke? I wasn't sure. It looked like just Kate and Jack at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by chattpanther View Post
    Which group did Sayid go with? Jack or Locke? I wasn't sure. It looked like just Kate and Jack at the end.
    I was wondering the same thing. I thought that only Ben and Sawyer went with Locke and could have sworn that Rose and Bernard refused to go anywhere with Locke. However, it did look like only Jack and Kate were hanging around at the end.

There was a scene when the two groups separated with a shot from above - looked like about 20 people stayed, including Bernard, Rose, Sayyid, Jack, Kate, and assorted extras. I'd assume Juliet stayed as well. Didn't see whether Jin and Sun stayed or left. Sawyer, Hurley, Claire, Ben, Danielle, Alex, etc. went with Locke (also with assorted extras).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    It could be Locke that died...that would trigger the same answer from Jack, particularly in light of last nights episode.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Good call.
    I can't imagine that Locke would willingly leave the island either. Unless he were paralyzed again or something.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    I can't imagine that Locke would willingly leave the island either. Unless he were paralyzed again or something.
    Maybe to save the island or something-- my Linus theory rests on that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Maybe to save the island or something-- my Linus theory rests on that assumption.
    No way Ben leaves the island -- even to save it.

Having nothing to do with what kind of person he is and his connection to the island, Ben cannot be one of the Oceanic 6 because he was never on Oceanic 815. Clearly the Oceanic 6 are very famous at this point (Jack grew a beard to keep from being recognized). No way someone who was never on the flight could be part of that group.

Other thoughts--

I agree there was not much to this episode but I loved it nonetheless.

Jacob's shack was the most significant thing we saw. It did look like Christian Sheppard in the rocking chair this time. Whoever it was, it was not the bearded Jacob we saw last season. Did anyone else notice that whoever was in the chair was wearing white tennis shoes? That's even more evidence that it was Jack's dad as he has worn tennis shoes like that on the show in the past. Strange. The stuff that Hurley heard was more clear than the mysterious whispers, but still not very clear (I only listened about 6 times!). Was that the same as when Locke heard Jacob say "Help me" because if it was I will be disappointed. Jacob only talks to very few people.

Charlie looked great when he came back from the dead to haunt Hurley. He was thin and fairly clean-shaven. It may not matter to most people, but I think there is something significant to that. If he was a ghost or a figment of Hurley's imagination then he should have looked the same to Hurley as he has always looked. What up with him having a different appearance? Interesting twist.

Oh, and the best line of the night was Ben's "Better call them back and tell them she's out collecting a huge pile of firewood." That's some great gallows humor there, people!

--Jason "need to think about the episode more-- only saw it late last night after driving back from visiting Duke" Evans

The person in the casket is clearly not one of the Oceanic 6. If he/she had been, there would have been reporters/papparazzi swarming the funeral home when Jack went to visit.

My best guess is that it's either Ben, or it's Locke or Michael under an assumed name.

Surprised no one is debating yet whether or not that was really Charlie who appeared to Hurley at Santa Rosa. Some are speculating that it was Smokie appearing as Charlie to try and get Hurley back on the island. That's certainly possible and would explain Hurley's freak-out in the holding cell, but I'm not quite so sure it is.

I have a really cool LOST theory I picked up on from The Fuselage that's really fun but kind of out there.

Notice in Thursday's episode that Hurley said that Charlie was standing near the HO-HOs when he saw him in the convenience store. Then later, when Hurley was playing Jack, he noted that the score was "H-O." What does that add up to? Ho-Ho-Ho.

ie, Santa Claus.

Don't laugh. Stay with me.

What's the first thing you think of when you hear Santa Claus? That's right, North Pole.

One of the most interesting science fiction theories about the North Pole is the "Hollow Earth" theory, or the theory that the earth actually contains several "dimensions" or "subterannean realms" within itself. You can read more about the theory here.

One of the prevailing notions of the Hollow Earth theory is that there is an opening, or several openings, to the other realms or dimensions of the earth at the North Pole or other magnetic poles of the earth.

Now, think of all the arctic, magnetic references that are in LOST. Polar bears, Penny's researchers in the middle of some arctic wasteland, the electromagnetic disturbance thingy in the Hatch, "Lift up your eyes and look North, John," the eskimo and igloo that Hurley was painting tonight. I could go on and on.

I don't have the theory fully mapped out in my head, and there are some definite holes, but I think this is getting somehwere. It would explain a lot of stuff, why you can't find the island, why people would be willing to kill to find the island, why the Others would want to protect its identity, etc etc etc.

Crazy.