Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Michael Wilbon heart attack...

I hadn't heard anything about this until early this afternoon on the Mike Tirico show here in DC, but I've always liked Wilbon on PTI. They said he'd suffered a mild heart attack at his home in Arizona, and that he'll be in the hospital for a few days, but he should be okay. Not a big fan of some of the things he's written in the Post about Maryland or Duke, but I still think he's a good guy, and I'll be praying for him and his family. Get well, soon, big guy. I love screaming about your columns.

I tend to like most of what he writes, and I believe "Pardon the Interruption" to be one of the two or three best shows on television. I hadn't heard about this, either. I second the well-wishing (and cross off one more milepost on my way to 1000).

I love PTI when Kornheiser and Wilbon are both there. When one is away and the other hosts with a substitute I don't like it at all. It is the interplay between these two guys that make the show so good.

I wish Wilbon a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I love PTI when Kornheiser and Wilbon are both there. When one is away and the other hosts with a substitute I don't like it at all. It is the interplay between these two guys that make the show so good.
    Totally agreed. Not only do they appear to genuinely like each other (and genuinely like giving each other crap), but they're both knowledgeable about far more than just sports. an extremely intelligent show, and some of the best sports commentary on television.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 01-29-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Totally agreed. Not only do they appear to genuinely like each other (and genuinely like giving each other sh!t), but they're both knowledgeable about far more than just sports. an extremely intelligent show, and some of the best sports commentary on television.
    As do I. Wilbon was not on PTI yesterday and they mentioned that he was ill but didn't get into specifics. J.A. Adande was on in his place who is much better than some of the others they've had on the show (read: LeBatard), but still nothing better on sports television than Wilbon and Kornheiser together on the show.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and here's hoping we see him back on the set soon.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I'm sorry to hear about this. He's long been one of my favorite sportwriters, and I love his interaction with Kornheiser--well before PTI, the two of them used to appear on the Derek McGinty Show on WAMU and it was a hoot as well as tremendously edifying. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Smile As Kornheiser would say ...

Ok Wilbon,

GET WELL SOON!!

CHEERS!!
    Lavabe

Get Well Soon, Michael!

I always like to see him on The Sports Reporters as well as PTI.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

If there are any DC redskins fans out there, he is also on Redskins Report every Saturday during football season with Sonny Jurgenson, George Michael (of Sports Machine fame), and Riggo (as in John Riggins).

On Mike and Mike this morning, they reported that they "heard" that it was so mild that Wilbon may actually be back at work today! Let's hope the recovery is that short!

well...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    On Mike and Mike this morning, they reported that they "heard" that it was so mild that Wilbon may actually be back at work today! Let's hope the recovery is that short!
    it was reported that he had an angioplasty on Tuesday, and wasn't supposed to be released from the hospital until Wednesday at the earliest. I can't imagine he'd return to work until at least the beginning of next week. There wouldn't be much point to returning just for the week to end.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    On PTI today (Wed), they announced he was back at his Scottsdale, AZ home.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    it was reported that he had an angioplasty on Tuesday, and wasn't supposed to be released from the hospital until Wednesday at the earliest. I can't imagine he'd return to work until at least the beginning of next week. There wouldn't be much point to returning just for the week to end.
    Depends on how much damage he had, how long the procedure took, whether there were any complications and a few other factors. If the size of the heart attack was quite small, he could have had his procedure, gone home the next day and been back to work in 48 hours or so.

okay...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Depends on how much damage he had, how long the procedure took, whether there were any complications and a few other factors. If the size of the heart attack was quite small, he could have had his procedure, gone home the next day and been back to work in 48 hours or so.
    well, of course you COULD, I was just saying I didn't think it was overly advisable. Better to take some time and rest a little. I didn't mean it COULDN'T be done, I just didn't think it was a great idea. Having a heart attack, even a VERY minor one, drains your strength a LOT. A week off wouldn't be a bad thing, I would think. Better to rest up than get right back on the horse and feel like crap for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    well, of course you COULD, I was just saying I didn't think it was overly advisable. Better to take some time and rest a little. I didn't mean it COULDN'T be done, I just didn't think it was a great idea. Having a heart attack, even a VERY minor one, drains your strength a LOT. A week off wouldn't be a bad thing, I would think. Better to rest up than get right back on the horse and feel like crap for a month.
    DevilDeac is a cardiologist. I wouldn't argue the point with him!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ozzie, I love your location!!!

Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thanks, OZZIE. Next time, I got your back.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Ozzie, I love your location!!!
    Unfortunately, as someone stated earlier on this thread, that now locates him 15 minutes farther from CIS than he was a week ago

I was concerned about T, you know, he's a worrier and all, and I think that he really likes the guy. Then I heard on T's radio show this morning that his dog Maggie is touch-and-go with needing a major, invasive surgical procedure.

My bet, Wilbon will be back sooner than expected; you know what they say about trying to follow a dog act. Just kidding, T, really; she's gonna be just fine, I swear it. So will Mike; everyone's rooting for both.

Ah yes...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Okay, cool, devildeac knows everything and I know nothing. I'm a just BME that works with pacemakers. So, my question to you is... Has devildeac ever been knocked on his keister by a heart problem himself? I may not be a cardiologist, but I have enough personal and professional experience with such things to know that everyone reacts differently to the procedure and the medications, however severe or mild the cardiac event was. One person might recover from a more severe heart attack faster than another might recover from a mild one. I was just saying it seemed silly to put your heart and body under the stress of returning to work in two days when you have a job like Wilbon's. I doubt ESPN is going to force him back to work before Monday or he's fired, so why not take the time to ease back into it? I know LOTS of people who had "mild" heart attacks that knocked them off their feet for a month just in terms of stamina and energy due to simple things like lowered blood oxygen saturation levels or adjustment to medication. It's NOT easy on your body, no matter the "mildness" of the heart attack. As I pointed out, yes you CAN go back to work in two days, but SHOULD you? Isn't it smarter to take a few days off to rest? That's all I said.