Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Z broke the outside bone in his foot through and through in 3 places. They hooked the bone back together with three screws. If doctors don't like what they're seeing in pictures, one must either assume that the foot was bothering Z or they were monitoring a dicey situation. In either case, based upon that study posted here a while back done by a Duke resident with regard to bone density and the ability to predict fifth metatarsol breaks, I feel for the young guy. I am also impressed by K and his staff.

I don't expect that Z to be back this year. I agree that if he is, he could provide a useful 5-6 minutes, and, if he hits the floor on a "good" day, could make a contribution, perhaps more than some think.

BTW, the way Maryland is seeing him now, nobody is going to shut Osby down. His receptions seem unstoppable and leave him in places that give him easy finishing options. Better receiver than Hansbrough, though not nearly as versatile or effective a finisher. If he had another year, . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Zoubs will come back an average a double double but if he comes back healthy (any day now I assume) and can give this team 6-8 quality minutes they might very well be on their way to a final four.

Clealry our main (only?) weakness is our post defense against bigger teams. Booker and Osby had their way in the first half of their games against us but slowed considerably in the second halves as our depth wore them down.

If Zoubs can simply provide some defense and rebounding against these bigger teams I would think we would improve drmatically. Specifically, if he can provide 4-5 first half minutes against the bigger bodies it would go a long way in securing potential victories against the likes of UCLA, Kansas and UNC.

Providing he's healthy I think it's fairly realistic to think that Zoubek can still help this team significantly this season.
    Unfortunately, we as fans (in general, myself included) are "what have you done for me lately's" Support comes with/from production. I think he can't hurt us...we could use the rebounding. I feel for the kid, I know he tries and works so hard, he doesnt deserve the criticism he gets (I'm guilty of it too). Paulus struggled for a few games and people threatened to vote him off the island. Coack K knows how to help Zoubs improve, he is obviously a great player or K wouldnt have recruited him. With him I think we CAN cut down the nets. So hit the weightroom in the break, and work on the longball...cant have Hibbert showin up centers' lack of 3 ability..haha

man we sure could use a Shelden Williams (a quicker, more athletic version given Duke's 'new' offense) or a Carlos Boozer or an Elton Brand . . .

but no doubt would Zoubek HELP, as far as being THE piece ... i'm not sure, but his 7'1" frame could bang with some bodies

remember the Duke-Carolina games last year . . . . Zoubek as a freshman played quite well against Hansbrough

I don't want Zoubek to come back too early, but when he does he will have an impact. He can run the floor, he can clog up the middle and block a few shots. He doesn't need to score, in my book. If he can give us 10-12 tough minutes in the middle, he will have done a lot.
    Another way to look at it is that he represents five fouls in the middle which we don't currently have.

Production that belies his gangliness

If he were to get healthy and round back into shape, I think Z vould be a valuable asset this year. It's often not pretty, but he is productive. I'm not advocating that he play major starter minutes at this point and I know projecting numbers isn't this simple, but if you multiply his 11+ minutes per game times 3, he would be averaging 13 points and 11 rebounds per game. He has been efficient in his minutes played, even though he was behind the curve at the start of the year from his 1st injury.

He also has improved in areas where he was a real liability as a freshman. Last year, he had 6 assists to 37 turnovers. Wow. This year, he has 7 assists to 12 turnovers, fairly respectable for a true center.

As far as where he could fit into the puzzle, the only time other teams have put real runs on us has been when they have dominated us on the boards. You can't teach 7'1". Even against Pitt, Z had 3 rebounds in 6 minutes.

Z also can help us defend true post scorers. Not a lot of teams have dominant post scorers, but some of the true national contenders do. I do think Z's height gave Hansblabla some problems last year. As one other measurable, Z already has as many blocks this year as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Maybe I was just being too optimistic, but watching his play just before the injury, he seemed to be finally getting more comfortable out on the floor and starting to turn a corner. I thought he could develop into a consistent good 15 minutes a game, which of course would be an enormous help against certain teams. However, the longer he is out, the harder it's going to be to get himself back up to the point of being valuable this year for our postseason run. Get well soon, Z!
    His play just before the injury was a 4 point performance against Cornell, a mediocre performance against Pitt, and a decent game against a 9-10 Albany team.

Zoub's a better player than he was last year and he's clearly developing, but he's not nearly "the final piece" to this team.

Besides, the team has been doing remarkably well with the pieces they have. For the most part, Duke has really forced other teams to adapt to the small ball style that the Devils are playing. Maryland, with Gist, Osby, Neal, and Walker combining for 79 out of 80 PF & C minutes, is an exception to the way things have been going. But if you look at the Clemson game, their big player rotation of Booker, Mays, Sykes, and Grant played 68 minutes out of 80 minutes. In their next game against WFU they combined for 84 out of 85 minutes (overtime game). In other close games such as the loss to Charlotte they played 88 out of 90 minutes (2 overtimes). Against UNC it was 80 out of 80 minutes.

It's not just Clemson either. Other teams such as FSU and VaTech have gone to smaller lineups against Duke as well. (Those stats can be somewhat misleading because the Hokies were without Jeff Allen, one of their primary frontcourt players, and the Seminoles Ryan Reid was playing his first game back after a 9-game suspension.)

I think one of the reasons Duke is so successful in forcing other teams to adapt to their style is that the Devils have a team that can really place a lot of pressure on a defense because guys like Nelson and Henderson can really attack the rim. So when Duke is going ultra small with Singler, Nelson, Henderson, Scheyer, and Smith/Paulus teams are faced with trying to defend either Nelson or Henderson with a player who is not comfortable defending away from the basket.

It's much easier to defend a guy who is smaller if all he's going to do is shoot jump shots. It's the guy who can do both who makes life really tough for the bigger defender. That's why, after watching Trevor Booker's futile efforts to check Gerald Henderson, Clemson switched him over to guarding Scheyer. And then after watching the team struggle with that alignment the Tigers gave up and played only one big man.

The other component of this is that Henderson and Nelson are both such physical players that they can defend larger guys. The big fear about going small is that while you gain an advantage on offense you give up one on defense. The odds are against the approach because generally speaking, it's easier to score from close to the basket with a big guy than to score from far away with the small guy. But Duke isn't relying on jumpers on offense and they're not struggling to defend the interior as much as one would expect so the results have been even better than one would anticipate.

Medical redshirt an option?

If BZ is out for the season, what are the possibilities for a medical redshirt year? Is there a formal cut-off date or # of games played for redshirt eligibility?

If he is to be out much longer, or is limited upon his return, it may be best for BZ and for the team to fully-heal and begin to work toward next year (if redshirt is an option).

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Besides, the team has been doing remarkably well with the pieces they have. For the most part, Duke has really forced other teams to adapt to the small ball style that the Devils are playing. Maryland, with Gist, Osby, Neal, and Walker combining for 79 out of 80 PF & C minutes, is an exception to the way things have been going. But if you look at the Clemson game, their big player rotation of Booker, Mays, Sykes, and Grant played 68 minutes out of 80 minutes. In their next game against WFU they combined for 84 out of 85 minutes (overtime game). In other close games such as the loss to Charlotte they played 88 out of 90 minutes (2 overtimes). Against UNC it was 80 out of 80 minutes.

It's not just Clemson either. Other teams such as FSU and VaTech have gone to smaller lineups against Duke as well. (Those stats can be somewhat misleading because the Hokies were without Jeff Allen, one of their primary frontcourt players, and the Seminoles Ryan Reid was playing his first game back after a 9-game suspension.)

I think one of the reasons Duke is so successful in forcing other teams to adapt to their style is that the Devils have a team that can really place a lot of pressure on a defense because guys like Nelson and Henderson can really attack the rim. So when Duke is going ultra small with Singler, Nelson, Henderson, Scheyer, and Smith/Paulus teams are faced with trying to defend either Nelson or Henderson with a player who is not comfortable defending away from the basket.

It's much easier to defend a guy who is smaller if all he's going to do is shoot jump shots. It's the guy who can do both who makes life really tough for the bigger defender. That's why, after watching Trevor Booker's futile efforts to check Gerald Henderson, Clemson switched him over to guarding Scheyer. And then after watching the team struggle with that alignment the Tigers gave up and played only one big man.

The other component of this is that Henderson and Nelson are both such physical players that they can defend larger guys. The big fear about going small is that while you gain an advantage on offense you give up one on defense. The odds are against the approach because generally speaking, it's easier to score from close to the basket with a big guy than to score from far away with the small guy. But Duke isn't relying on jumpers on offense and they're not struggling to defend the interior as much as one would expect so the results have been even better than one would anticipate.
    Tight!! POD, imo.

One might add that K and his assistants have done an exceptional job. Much has been changed this year that seems to suit the talent and basketball perspectives of the players on hand quite well. This flexibility showed by an older coach of K's stature is but another in a long list of stellar qualities that kids who chose to play for the guy get to understand and perhaps incorporate into themselves.

Basketball under K has to be the best learning experience Duke has to offer, which, given Duke's stature in the community of American universities, is saying something.

Who fouled out against Maryland?

Zoubek's biggest impact on the team if he returns would be keeping Kyle Singler out of foul trouble. If he can spend a few fouls without costing the team too much in other areas such as offensive flow, it could allow Singler to to full speed down the stretch and not be sitting next to the coaches and the walk-ons at crunch time. I'm skeptical of Zoubek's return to anything resembling effectiveness this year. A big man with foot problems? Just ask Bill Walton.

I'm not as up to date on Zoubek's injury as some of you but I think Brian would definitely help Duke's cause if he was able to return this year. Duke has played big teams (New Mexico State, Wisconsin, Clemson, Maryland) but they haven't played any elite big teams (UNC, Kansas, UCLA). I think it's safe to say the latter four schools I mentioned have more talent down low that the first four teams I mentioned.

I think for Duke to beat those elite teams, they'll need about 10-15 minutes from Brian. I think Duke can win on 2/6 without Brian but if it takes 4 games to get to a final 4, I don't see Duke making it through all those games without Zoubek getting some minutes. At this point in the season, it's unrealistic to expect consistent offensive production from Brian upon his return. But he is 5 fouls that Duke needs right now, especially when his fouls would most likely help keep Singler in the game.

I'm not sure that Zoubek contributes much as a mere "5 extra fouls" unless he can provide superior post defense to what we already have. I agree that we need someone other than Kyle and Lance guarding bigs - both for foul reasons AND because I think it ultimately runs the risk of getting Kyle banged up and negatively impacting his offensive game. However, if it's just the fouls, then McClue and TK surely can go in there and commit some fouls. Neither of these guys have had enough run to get in any sort of foul trouble. Really what it comes down to is having someone with some size to go in and mix it up on defense and actually be EFFECTIVE - and if he fouls out, so be it. To say that Z is just 5 extra fouls overlooks the fact that we can send other guys out there to commit fouls. Whether or not Z could actually be effective against superior post players like Hans or Love is highly questionable, IMO.

Also, note that fouling Hansborough is a dicey propositon. Dude can shoot FTs and scores a lot of points on the line. We need someone who can make him life slightly tougher WITHOUT fouling. This, more than anything, is why Big Z would help. If nothing else, he presents a bit more of an obstacle to get in Tyler's way as he propelled himself toward the rim with reckless abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    I'm not sure that Zoubek contributes much as a mere "5 extra fouls" unless he can provide superior post defense to what we already have. I agree that we need someone other than Kyle and Lance guarding bigs - both for foul reasons AND because I think it ultimately runs the risk of getting Kyle banged up and negatively impacting his offensive game. However, if it's just the fouls, then McClue and TK surely can go in there and commit some fouls. Neither of these guys have had enough run to get in any sort of foul trouble. Really what it comes down to is having someone with some size to go in and mix it up on defense and actually be EFFECTIVE - and if he fouls out, so be it. To say that Z is just 5 extra fouls overlooks the fact that we can send other guys out there to commit fouls. Whether or not Z could actually be effective against superior post players like Hans or Love is highly questionable, IMO.

Also, note that fouling Hansborough is a dicey propositon. Dude can shoot FTs and scores a lot of points on the line. We need someone who can make him life slightly tougher WITHOUT fouling. This, more than anything, is why Big Z would help. If nothing else, he presents a bit more of an obstacle to get in Tyler's way as he propelled himself toward the rim with reckless abandon.
    A really healthy Zoubek would give Hansborough and Love problems that others on Duke cannot present, imo. The game is not that difficult; Z is a legit 7'1" and is clever. Hansborough and Love are adapt at getting someone to extend up prematurally. If Z doesn't, they have got to contend with a lot more than they are used to. Then, if he choses which way to make them go, which would be towards the middle if you ask me, then, help can confine them and Z has a decent chance of swating shots away or disrupting them. I would love to see that. Love and Hman would not, I am guessing.

This is quite a team when we are sitting here having a legit conversation of whether a 7 footer with Z's skill base and mind could meaningfully contribute, if fully able to go. Wow.

I saw Zoubek today on campus.

and he was ambulating fairly well for what's he's been through. watching his gait i didn't get worried that he wouldn't come back at all or anything like that. he didn't look bad but he also didn't look 100% if ya know what i mean.

get better Zoubs and come back soon!

dth.

Zoubek.

I have been a critic of his play but watching him yesterday I couldn't have been happier for him. He really stepped up his game. He exhibited a toughness I haven't noticed before and the team seemed to rally around his play. I know about his injuries but I think he finally has arrived as an ACC player.

If Zoubek and Henderson can each give a solid 15 minutes per game, we should be in pretty good shape. Even though CBS kept me from seeing most of the second half last night (grrrr!), from what I read Zoubek did a real nice job. That is great news for him and for the team.

more reserved...

Like you I WANT this to be a big beginning of good things for Brian.

Zoubek worked hard and made things happen on the floor last nite. Points rebounds being generally active.. It was great to see the last few possessions of the 2nd work to get Brian looks. Thats what he needs and he got it!

But St Johns had no one of real size to challenge, bump, grid and push him.

Its certainly a darn good game for him. One I hope he gain build on and gain confidence from. But I would be hesitant to say hes arrived until in can do that 3x's in a row in league play.

I certainly hope he can and will be rooting for him to continue working and improving.

It seems to me that if Zoubek is capable of playing, that's just one more weapon in our arsenal to send out there when appropriate for the matchup. He's probably more effective for some situations over others. We just need to dial in the right mix of defense, shooting, and rebounding for a particular opponent's lineup. Like Pearl said of his UT team, we somtimes rely a bit too much on the 3 ball. But if Henderson can be healthy, we've got a respectable midrange game, we've got driving abiltiy with DeMarcus; we've got all-around game in Singler, and sometimes 3-ball from Paulus et al. If Zoubek can play, I like our ability for second chance points. It seems to me our rebounding has really improved of late, and that's critical. FT shooting was good against St. Johns (at least, from what I saw before CBS cut away), and that's been subpar. The only major concern I have is with defensive speed. We were really slow early against SJ, both against drives (strangely SJ guards often pulled out after they got even with GP or NS), and we were slow getting back in transition. If Zoubek can block some shots, it might help guarding against driving layups in half-court offense.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Last piece is intangible

I think this team is pretty well pieced together, I'm not sure there really is a "last piece" out there that we can see. One thing I noticed before his injury, was Zoubek's passing. I was really impressed with some of his plays getting the ball back out to the perimeter or in to a driving player. That being said, we were doing a real nice job without him. I think this team has a very good ability to overcome their physical weaknesses.
    My vote for the last piece would be free throw shooting. If we can get our free throws to fall even 1/3rd more often, we will put ourselves in better chances to win.

Zoubek could well be the missing piece. I agree that it gives us some game and situation matchup flexibility with Brian back in the mix. I hope we can be patient with his post-recovery process. It's undeniably difficult to come back from an injury and step back in at this level without some hiccups along the way.

He is a great kid and he also enhances our team chemistry, as everyone wants him to be successful. Having an improved and fit (and that's coming with more PT) 7-footer in the middle as a "goalkeeper" in some situations can really free up the defense to use a ratchted up gamble-help defensive mindset that could add to our turnover to transition opportunities, playing into our strength. It's also going to help to have that kind of body and presence against UNC and other "big" teams as we get into March.

I'm very happy for Brian and am confident of his abilities to make us better this year...and even more so next.

He could be great for this team mainly because of his height. He's a good player but im pretty sure he's the tallest player in the acc. He can help with some areas we've been fairly weak at so far this season such as rebounding, blocking shots, and he can provide some low post scoring similar to what LT does