Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Could Zoubek be the Final Piece to this team?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Zoubs will come back an average a double double but if he comes back healthy (any day now I assume) and can give this team 6-8 quality minutes they might very well be on their way to a final four.

Clealry our main (only?) weakness is our post defense against bigger teams. Booker and Osby had their way in the first half of their games against us but slowed considerably in the second halves as our depth wore them down.

If Zoubs can simply provide some defense and rebounding against these bigger teams I would think we would improve drmatically. Specifically, if he can provide 4-5 first half minutes against the bigger bodies it would go a long way in securing potential victories against the likes of UCLA, Kansas and UNC.

Providing he's healthy I think it's fairly realistic to think that Zoubek can still help this team significantly this season.

There is no doubt that Zoubek can help the team, especially with rebounding. However, I don't know that he's the final piece given that our offensive success tends to come from spreading the court and driving and kicking. It works because we have 4-5 3 point threats on the floor most times, as well as multiple guys who can drive. Zoubs changes that dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    There is no doubt that Zoubek can help the team, especially with rebounding. However, I don't know that he's the final piece given that our offensive success tends to come from spreading the court and driving and kicking. It works because we have 4-5 3 point threats on the floor most times, as well as multiple guys who can drive. Zoubs changes that dynamic.
    Good point, but presumably, better interior defense should take some pressure off of the help-side guys and potentially lead into the transition game.

I'd say if Zoubek can become the kind of contributor that Casey Sanders did a few years back, he could DEF be the final piece of the puzzle. I find them both very similar in how "clumsy" they seem to be at times with the ball, but I also remember Casey correcting that and becoming a good "pass catcher" so to speak, and instantly gave Duke somewhat of an inside threat when he was on the floor. Zoubek, with a lot of work, can become a vital part of how far this years team goes, and I personally do not rule out an ACC regular season, tournament, and even a NC out of this team, especially if he is able to start delivering in the post.

Agreed. Moreover, I'm not entirely convinced that he'd be much help defensively against athletic, talented big guys. Maybe a bit, but I'd imagine Booker, Osby, Gist, etc, would have their way with him. Injuries have just slowed his development, and he was a bit of a project to begin with.

I think the biggest thing he will add is the ability to be a functional body on the floor for 5-6 minutes if foul trouble arises. And that's not an insignificant factor. If he can just not be completely woeful on the floor for 5-6 minutes, it can do wonders for keeping Thomas and Singler out of foul trouble. Anything more than that, at least for this year, I think is going to be a bonus.

Hopefully, he can have a healthy rest of the season, a strong/productive/healthy offseason, and be more of an impact next year.

dukelion,

I'd have to agree with your comments. Zoubek would be able to help out in situatiosn like we encountered with Clemson and Maryland down low. Just the fact that we would have 5 more fouls to use thin the post would help.

I really felt this weekend he could have been somewhat of a factor on Osby, by just standing straight up. I'm not saying he would have blocked any shots but he could at least interrupt some of them. Hopefully he can get back soon and contribute in those types of situations. I'm interested in seeing how he could help against Maryland the second time around if he can get healthy.

Like CDu pointed out, if Zoubek were to be the "final piece" would require him to actually be a strong interior defender. He's shown very tiny flashes of being capable, but he just fouls way too often for me to think he will put this team over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Like CDu pointed out, if Zoubek were to be the "final piece" would require him to actually be a strong interior defender. He's shown very tiny flashes of being capable, but he just fouls way too often for me to think he will put this team over the top.
    I think that he gets jobbed by the refs at times. On replay, he's actually fairly good at getting ball when he tries to block shots, but because the actions can look awkward at times I think that the refs assume that he isn't able to defend without fouling. I don't think that he's getting the appropriate credit in this thread for his actual defensive ability, as he has been able to effectively shut down opposing players at times (such as Hans last year). My trepidation at this time is that his offense/strength have been hampered by his injuries and that our offensive flow might suffer as a result when he's in the game, even as our defense improves.

I think that he gets jobbed by the refs at times. On replay, he's actually fairly good at getting ball when he tries to block shots, but because the actions can look awkward at times I think that the refs assume that he isn't able to defend without fouling. I don't think that he's getting the appropriate credit in this thread for his actual defensive ability, as he has been able to effectively shut down opposing players at times (such as Hans last year). My trepidation at this time is that his offense/strength have been hampered by his injuries and that our offensive flow might suffer as a result when he's in the game, even as our defense improves.
    My previous comment seems to have been ignored (plus I'm getting really close to 1000)...I agree with this assessment of BZ's defensive ability, and I think that if he can provide a presence down low, it could free up help-side defenders and lead to some good outlet looks and transition offense.

Returning soon?...

Does anyone know what the deal is with his situation right now? We are passed the 1-3 week estimate we heard about when his injury first happened. From what i've seen on TV it seems like he is still wearing the boot on the sideline.

Perception is reality...

I won't really debate whether or not he's actually making good plays and is just getting jobbed, as it doesn't really make a difference. The point is that he's getting called for those fouls, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. Therefore, the defense isn't improving with him out there in terms of results. And I don't believe he's been subjected to too many strong big men this year (if any). I'd be very surprised if he's faced any of the caliber of Clemson's or Maryland's bigs.

I'm not saying he's not useful. I just think that unfortunately he's a liability on both ends right now. But he still has value in that he can be used sub minutes in cases of foul trouble.

Seems to me he does positive things when he is in the game %-wise. Just seems as if he is struggling. He does rack up TO's and PF's.

So far this year:

149 total minutes
    51 points scored
    44 rebounds

Season avg's:

11.7 minutes per game (started 2)
    4.3 points per game
    3.7 rebounds per game

Those are productive minutes to me...

There is a real possibility that Zoubs won't be back this year. As it is, I see him more as a functional body than a missing piece. Much of what has led to Duke's outstanding play -- spreading the floor, switching on every screen, etc. -- doesn't fit well with Brian's skill set, particularly if his mobility is even more limited by his foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    There is a real possibility that Zoubs won't be back this year.
    Did I miss an update to his status? Is his foot injury likely to take that long to heal?

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Did I miss an update to his status? Is his foot injury likely to take that long to heal?
    In the pregame for the VT game, there was a courtside interview with Zoubek by Matthew Laurence. BZ indicated that a couple of days earlier, they had done a new x-ray and the doctors didn't quite like what they were seeing. He had been doing some light practicing but at that point, they had him off of the foot (indefinitely was implied) while he could do cardio/lifting exercises to stay in shape but no real practicing. In that courtside interview, he didn't give an indication as to when he'd be back to practice, much less in a game.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Thanks for the update. I somehow missed that. Its a shame to hear that it will be longer than expected. Zoubs seems like a great kid. Even though it is hard to imagine liking our team more than I have since the UVA game, Zoubs will definitely be missed. I suspect we will particularly miss him during the UNC game with their big, deep frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not saying he's not useful. I just think that unfortunately he's a liability on both ends right now. But he still has value in that he can be used sub minutes in cases of foul trouble.
    Maybe I was just being too optimistic, but watching his play just before the injury, he seemed to be finally getting more comfortable out on the floor and starting to turn a corner. I thought he could develop into a consistent good 15 minutes a game, which of course would be an enormous help against certain teams. However, the longer he is out, the harder it's going to be to get himself back up to the point of being valuable this year for our postseason run. Get well soon, Z!

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Maybe I was just being too optimistic, but watching his play just before the injury, he seemed to be finally getting more comfortable out on the floor and starting to turn a corner. I thought he could develop into a consistent good 15 minutes a game, which of course would be an enormous help against certain teams. However, the longer he is out, the harder it's going to be to get himself back up to the point of being valuable this year for our postseason run. Get well soon, Z!
    Yeah, it seemed like he was just getting into decent BB shape when this last injury occurred. If he makes it back, I see him playing limited minutes, maybe a little more when the match-ups are favorable. I'm not sure if the summer injury set him back a ton or not, but it seems like he was an average defender in many of the early games: if he managed to not foul, he would have a hard time recovering for the rebound with smaller but quicker players beating him on the boards. Having a 7-footer is a nice option when guys are in foul trouble, but I just don't see him giving us a lot this year. It's hard for the big guys to get in shape after sitting this long.

IMO, no. At least not this year.

Thats a damn good question though. I didn't really worry about the team when he got hurt, but know that you mention it he would add something. Next year I think he will be a factor - especially if he gets healthy enough to get some minutes towards the end of this year.

Are you for real?

NO!!!!