What are YOU gonna spend your money on?

So, in July we get $600.00 or $1200.00 or $5000.00 (if your a Mormon).

The question of the day is what are YOU gonna spend it on?

My wife and I are buying plane tickets to England on Jet Blue. So in essence, were giving the rebate to the French and then spending our hard-earned American dollars on the English!

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    My wife and I are buying plane tickets to England on Jet Blue. So in essence, were giving the rebate to the French and then spending our hard-earned American dollars on the English!
    Enjoy that exchange rate! I've been to London 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years, and the only way to survive (emotionally) is to tell yourself the prices are in dollars. It's still fairly expensive, but if you let yourself think about that 2x conversion, your head will explode.

I'm starting with a touch.
    ~rthomas

About half the closing costs on a condo, I think.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

My wife and I are buying plane tickets to England on Jet Blue.
    Yeah, and I'm flying Southwest to Bangkok.

going to the bahammas in june

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Yeah, and I'm flying Southwest to Bangkok.
    Probably shoulda checked first. We have been talking about it for months with little research. I kayaked tickets after reading your post - $1200 per person was the cheapest and that was on Air Canada.

Maybe we'll go half way - Bermuda looks nice!

PS - ever flown Air Canada before? If so, how was it?

Nope, I've flown six or seven other Star Alliance carriers (SAS is quite agreeable in coach, if you are going to Europe), but not AC yet.

The best airfare I snagged in this price range was to Bangkok in 2003. ORD-BKK for $584 on United. I remember the fare because it was so obscenely low. It was even upgradable! I'm looking forward to this recession, even though the government isn't giving me jack.

I want to spend it on something that'll remind me that it's probably costing me more like $6,000 to get that $600 rebate from the government. Any ideas?

Probably shoulda checked first. We have been talking about it for months with little research. I kayaked tickets after reading your post - $1200 per person was the cheapest and that was on Air Canada.

Maybe we'll go half way - Bermuda looks nice!

PS - ever flown Air Canada before? If so, how was it?
    I flew Air Canada from Atlanta to Glasgow (via Toronto) in 1999. I found it to be an outstanding airline and would definitely fly them again.

I will be spending my $600 on a handle of Maker's Mark, then putting the rest toward the balance on my credit card.

Red face I need more like a $7000 check

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I flew Air Canada from Atlanta to Glasgow (via Toronto) in 1999. I found it to be an outstanding airline and would definitely fly them again.

I will be spending my $600 on a handle of Maker's Mark, then putting the rest toward the balance on my credit card.
    This last line looks amazingly similar to your post #11 in the other thread (the one that CMS started earlier today) with this topic. Did you just plagiarize yourself?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. STILL would like to commit treason and pay down credit card payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    ...Did you just plagiarize yourself?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Guess I did. And I'm sorry that I'll be helping the terrorists win via my choice of what to do with my 600 smackers.

I'm taking my 1200 (plus my 'offspring' bonus ) and throwing it in with another more substantial sum that should be coming my way at roughly the same time. The two together will result in a mortgage burning party at my house.

I know, I am un-American since paying bills will not stimulate the economy. Hopefully my citizenship won't get revoked
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I'm taking my 1200 (plus my 'offspring' bonus ) and throwing it in with another more substantial sum that should be coming my way at roughly the same time. The two together will result in a mortgage burning party at my house.
    Wow...that's huge! The prospect of paying off a mortgage is so far in the future for me that it pretty much doesn't exist in my mind. Hell, I can't even afford to enter into a mortgage, much less pay one off.
    Congrats!

I'm still skeptical as to how much I'll get. Should be $1800 but I heard it may be reduced depending on income level.

Whatever I get will probably go toward financing a vacation this summer.

It's hardly a done deal yet, and may not ever materialize once the Senate gets its hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Wow...that's huge! The prospect of paying off a mortgage is so far in the future for me that it pretty much doesn't exist in my mind. Hell, I can't even afford to enter into a mortgage, much less pay one off.
    Congrats!

I was lucky...bought the house 10 years ago before the Florida real estate market went nuts...refied my 30 to a 15 a couple years ago when the rates were very low (4%).

I've opted to stay with this house rather than upgrade to something bigger because paying it off is now well within reach.

The party will be huge when the last payment gets made!!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age