This Team is as Tough as Nails - Duke MBB vs. Maryland Post-Game Thread

Period. P-E-R-I-O-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Period. P-E-R-I-O-D.
    You got that right.

Period. P-E-R-I-O-D.
    Spot on. Exactly the right word.
    These guys are quickly becoming one of my 2-3 all time favorites, out of about 45 years.

WOW! What a fabulous win.

Period. P-E-R-I-O-D.
    there are a lot of weapons in the arsenal.

Amen brother! Best win of the year!

Seniors

Teams often take on the personality of their seniors. Nelson is Tough!! That was a big time- put the team on your back performance. Probably his best at Duke.

Gutty win and I'm happy

.... buuuuuut no way should that Maryland team have put up 80+ on us. The help D seemed a full second behind tonight, especially in the first half.

Talking Wow

... and I wonder what Sweaty Gary is saying in the post game press conference.

A fitting game for the 7 year anniversary of the Miracle Minute.

Duke was down by 9 at the half in both games.

This time it didn't take a ten point last minute comeback.
    Great game for Duke.

Nelson, Henderson, and Smith were great, but everybody contributed. I was particularly to see really useful activity from Thomas -- maybe I am late to the story, but the last few games he has really improved !

2nd half

Nice comeback. Markie was huge. Osby was tired. The interior defense was much better. We made some free throws and Nolan stepped up for Scheyer and GP. Big road win.

Thoughts

The Refs- The refs were slightly home team-biased, but not too much. A VERY nice noncall all night was the fact that lance thomas was throwing moving picks and screens the entire freaking game, to not a single call. This was critical, as lance played an essential part of the final few minutes.

Once again, we needed turnovers, good shooting, and good D to beat a team with a bigger inside. We lacked the good shooting and D in the first half, but fixed that in the 2nd. We shouldnt be allowing 40 in a half to maryland, never the less 51.

All in all, an essential road game experience the team needed to get themselves ready for playing at carolina. Still we shouldnt look past the two games coming up, as any acc team can put this team down if we play badly.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Our guys simply would not lose with pure determination. What great energy coming out of the half. The first minute and a half completely changed the momentum. And when Singler and Paulas went to the bench with 4 fouls, Nolan and Demarc played huge.

A huge win and confidence builder on the road.

Only ? is Jon's shooting which has been poor lately. He was missing badly tonight.

t-o-u-g-h

What an impressive start to the second half!

The technical in the 1st half worried me; I thought #2 and a trip to the locker room was coming soon. But it's good to see that emotion erupt. GTHC.

Period. P-E-R-I-O-D.
    Very tough, indeed.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I see flames rising from College Park.

I'm fired up!

-Nelson's performance one of the finest by a Duke player in years. With Singler and Paulus sidelined with foul trouble, he puts us on his back. This was a career defining game for him. We're tough because he sets the example.

-How about Nolan Smith? The kid is coming on like gangbusters.

-G was $

-Lance Thomas, keep playing like this!

-Singler was saddled with fouls yet he still hits a huge 3 in the second half. Not enough is being said about how he has totally changed his normal game to give this team what it needs. What an unselfish player.

-For the most part, we hit the free throws we needed to.

-We gave up way too many lay-ups, but it was a strange kind of game that way. I think we should have thrown the zone at them a few times to mix it up.

This win should shoot our confidence into the stratosphere. This team means business!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the twerping!

Freaking awesome!!

I Love This Team!

This team has that intangible quality . . . character . . . that can't be taught. They are soooo mentally tough.

Again, last year we lose. Down 9 at the half . . . crowd is going ape-s**t . . .

Not this year.

Jumbo, you can have your crush on Scheyer . . . I understand it now . . . cuz I have a serious man-crush on Markie. What a stud. Don't even bother with the poll. Man of the game. He willed us to that win.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

Tough

What a great win! Nolan Smith was superb, as was Gerald and Demarcus. Lance Thomas was HUGE too.

A couple of points ... what happened to Scheyer? He's had two bad games in a row.