Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Best standup comedian of all time?

I just watched "Richard Pryor: Live at the Sunset Strip" for the first time, and I wonder how he can be considered anything but the best. I count political/sociological impact as well as pure comedic value, which may bias my opinion. Other nominees?

I'm not too familiar with Richard Pryor, but I'd like to throw in a nomination for George Carlin. I'll get back to you after some youtube-ing around for Richard Pryor vids after work.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I'm not too familiar with Richard Pryor, but I'd like to throw in a nomination for George Carlin. I'll get back to you after some youtube-ing around for Richard Pryor vids after work.
    Yeah, Carlin certainly wins for longevity, and you can't short him on societal impact.

Richard Pryor hands down, with Eddie Murphy 2nd.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Someone needs to mention Bill Hicks, and I'm just happy it's me.

Who?!

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Someone needs to mention Bill Hicks, and I'm just happy it's me.
    You can't be best standup of all time, if no one has ever heard of you.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    You can't be best standup of all time, if no one has ever heard of you.
    Everyone cool has heard of him, him and Lenny Bruce. It's what makes them the best counterculture standups.

I always laugh at Bill Cosby material.

I totally agree

Having not looked at any posts -- having just read the title of the thread, I immediately knew that there could be no other than Richard Pryor! With George Carlin, second. Soooo glad to see other posters agree.

There was NO ONE more amazing than Pryor in his heyday. Especially when he was working on material in little dives in NYC like the Bitter End. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I always laugh at Bill Cosby material.
    Back in 7th-8th grade, I used to fall asleep to old tapes of his material. I still have entire stories of his memorized.

<bing>Noah...

Bacon burger dog...I still need to have one of those.

Eddie Murphy's bit (from Raw or Delirious, can't remember) on receiving advice from Pryor on how to deal with criticism from Cosby is classic. NSFW, of course.

This could be a long list but I'm only going to say the all-time greatest vote from me goes to Carlin. My view of the present...I like Dave Attell.

Duh. Richard Pryor. Nobody else is in the same solar system.

whow

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Having not looked at any posts -- having just read the title of the thread, I immediately knew that there could be no other than Richard Pryor! With George Carlin, second. Soooo glad to see other posters agree.

There was NO ONE more amazing than Pryor in his heyday. Especially when he was working on material in little dives in NYC like the Bitter End. Wow.
    Never the twain shall meet...by which I mean me and dukelamom. (I have some serious reevaluating to do...)

I forgot my other fav...SINBAD!!!!!!!!!!!

More names from the past

Don't know that technically these are stand up comics, but they were among the funniest years ago: Sid Caesar (anything he did), Ernie Kovac, Jonathan Winters (remember Ma Bell?) and Flip Wilson (of the Church of What's Happening Now).

my favorite that I have ever seen in concert is Seinfeld. I know a lot of people think he is weak, but I think he is hilarious. Another one of my favorites is Jackie Mason.

My favorite of the current young guns - Daniel Tosh.

i'd give the nod to pryor but always liked steven wright.

Wouldn't call him the greatest (or near it), but...

If you like comedians who sing (i know, I know, I know...), I gotta recommend Stephen Lynch. Seen him twice in the past year and it's a great show - more like a concert than a stand up show. Songs that push the envelope simply for the sake of pushing the envelope. Nothing socially important. Best kind of comedy.

Search Stephen Lynch on YouTube (most NSFW!). Your welcome.

In a world full of Dane Cook's and Carlos Mencia's, this guy is something worthchecking out. Good friends and former tour-mates with Mitch Hedberg, God rest his soul. Not Pryor, not Carlin, just fun...