Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

Danger, Will Robinson

We just had a great game, maybe the best of the last 4-5 years. We are riding high. We are focusing on the upcoming UNC game. Posters are writing in, suggesting that we have a case for Number 1. There is just that niggling little problem ...

We still have other games to play. For example, NC State here on Thursday. Since State's loss to ECU and their putrid 1st half against UNC, they have been placed squarely in the bottom three of the league. Automatic win. However, they have essentially the same team as last year (minus Atsur and plus Hickson), were ranked this year, and have won several in a row. That is enough to worry about.

We are winning and highly ranked because of our effort, our teamwork, our shooting, our tenacity, etc. It is not because we have Michael, Larry, and Magic and overwhelm people with our awesome size and ability. In short, we need to play well as a team to continue to win impressively. We are poised for great things, but we will need to keep our poise to do so.

I love this team. I also see a potential danger spot if they lose focus or fail to take each team seriously.

I think the team and the coaching staff are much better than the fans at focusing on the task at hand and not looking ahead. I'm not worried... we could lose to NC State, but I don't think it will be because we overlooked them.

Are people really saying that was the best game this team has played in the past 4-5 years? I'd argue that our game against Wisconsin (for instance) was a better game, and that was just a couple months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantstrain 81 View Post

I love this team. I also see a potential danger spot if they lose focus or fail to take each team seriously.
    You do realize this team is still coached by K? Criticize him for this or that -- and I'm one who has indulged in doing so -- but I don't think anybody can say that there's been anyone better at getting his team to respect every opponent and bring it every game.

I really don't think this team needs help getting focused for N.C. State.

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

Now don't get me wrong

I have faith in K and in the team. We have lost games in the past. Even the most dominant teams can look past teams or fall in love with their own press clippings.

I usually put things in the perspective of how I feel and think as a lowly fan. I know that I am feeling good and that I am looking past NC State as a sure win. If I can do that, surely young players can, too - despite K's best efforts.

Remember, we have been somewhat discounted all season - after Maryland, we are being feted by fans and press alike. I just hope that we stay on course.

That's all I meant.

State is dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Constantstrain 81 View Post
    I have faith in K and in the team. We have lost games in the past. Even the most dominant teams can look past teams or fall in love with their own press clippings.

I usually put things in the perspective of how I feel and think as a lowly fan. I know that I am feeling good and that I am looking past NC State as a sure win. If I can do that, surely young players can, too - despite K's best efforts.

Remember, we have been somewhat discounted all season - after Maryland, we are being feted by fans and press alike. I just hope that we stay on course.

That's all I meant.
    As a fan, I am not looking past State. They have athletic wings and some talented bigs. They have also played a lot of close games this year. They got embarrassed at UNC in the first half- but played even in the second half. State is not going to be overlooked by Duke. They can play with anyone.

Also, Duke is still a team that knows it can be beat any night if they don't out-hustle their opponent. Right now- Duke is winning because they play hard all game long. Fortunately, they have depth this year- but doing that every game- does take a toll.

Thumbs up ibid

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    You do realize this team is still coached by K? Criticize him for this or that -- and I'm one who has indulged in doing so -- but I don't think anybody can say that there's been anyone better at getting his team to respect every opponent and bring it every game.
    B
    I
    N
    G
    O
    !

s.i.

ncsu

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I really don't think this team needs help getting focused for N.C. State.
    actually, not an ncsu post-just an encouragement to attack your keyboard as you have 3 more posts until you reach starter status