Demarcus Nelson v. Daniel Ewing

In one of the forums, I read a statement that Demarcus Nelson turned in tonight at Maryland a performance, which shows that he is becoming one in the "latest in the line of great Duke players who made a significant jump his senior year"

The list has listed last Duhon, than Jones, and so on. It didnt include Daniel Ewing.

What is the boards opinion of Daniel, especially in comparison to what Demarcus is doing right now?

This made me thought of two/three other questions: How at the end of the day will have had the better career at Duke, Daniel or Demarcus? Whos the better senior leader (look at both Senior Leader's team record when answering that question)? and Finally, who is the better pro-prospect, Ewing or Nelson (and do you think Demarcus's NBA career will be as good or as long as Daniel's)?

Thanks (from a first time poster)!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke55 View Post
    In one of the forums, I read a statement that Demarcus Nelson turned in tonight at Maryland a performance, which shows that he is becoming one in the "latest in the line of great Duke players who made a significant jump his senior year"

The list has listed last Duhon, than Jones, and so on. It didnt include Daniel Ewing.

What is the boards opinion of Daniel, especially in comparison to what Demarcus is doing right now?

This made me thought of two/three other questions: How at the end of the day will have had the better career at Duke, Daniel or Demarcus? Whos the better senior leader (look at both Senior Leader's team record when answering that question)? and Finally, who is the better pro-prospect, Ewing or Nelson (and do you think Demarcus's NBA career will be as good or as long as Daniel's)?

Thanks (from a first time poster)!
    DeMarcus and Daniel are very different players. First, as far as their careers at Duke, if you look at their statistics, Daniel was a more consistent player, but one must take into account the injuries that plagued DeMarcus his first two seasons. Daniel was a terrific 3-point shooter and he had point guard skills. DeMarcus is a good 3-point shooter but not as good as Daniel and he doesn't possess the handle to perform point guard duties. DeMarcus is much stronger and gets to the rim better than Daniel. DeMarcus is a better rebounder. On the defensive end, Demarcus is clearly the superior player. As far as leadership, DeMarcus is excelling as the Senior leader of a young team. I never viewed Daniel as "the" team leader his Senior season, he was one of several leaders, but my memory might be faulty.

I really do not follow the NBA so I will pass on your questions in regard to NBA prospect and careers.
    Bob Green

Bob expressed my opinion better than I could have.

The main difference between Ewing and Nelson is Ewing had Redick and Williams his senior year, Nelson does not. Demarcus is the one of the focal points of the offense, the offense pretty much goes through him. Ewing, on the other hand, always seemed to step up whenever JJ had a bad shooting night. He was able to capitalize on the defense focusing on JJ. If you ask me, it was the one ingredient missing from the 2006 season. We had no consistent back up perimeter threat should JJ have a bad night.

I agree with Bob...

I don't think Ewing fits in the category of senior emergence. Ewing was an effective reserve on the 01/02 team as a freshman. As a sophomore, he played nearly 30 minutes per game and was a double figure scorer. There just wasn't that big a jump from his sophomore year to his senior year. The biggest difference for Ewing was simply that he switched positions his senior year, playing PG instead of wing after Duhon graduated. But in terms of leadership and gutsy play, I'd say that that team was led by Ewing, Redick, and Williams.

Nelson, on the other hand, has really emerged this year. He's a more effective offensive player. He's more prominent on defense. He's shooting better. He's passing better. And he's become a better leader. And most importantly, he's taking over games late.

If anything, I'd compare his emergence more to that of Chris Carrawell. Carrawell was a solid player for his first 3 years, but then broke out and was the team leader his senior year. He had help (Battier was pretty darn good), but early that season it was Carrawell taking the big shots and leading the team.

draftexpress.com is a good source. I suppose they will eventually have a piece out on Nelson.

However, to ensure Demarcus gets a shot straight out of college he needs to have a few more games like the one he had tonight.

I really like DeMarcus, but his strength, long arms, toughness, and driving ability may not overcome his handle and outside shot, both of which are fine for the ACC but neither of which appears to me to be good enough to play guard in the NBA. Hope I'm wrong.

I like the Nelson - C-Well comparison. They remind me a lot of each other, not only in their game but in their temperament on the floor. Both terrific leaders.

Ewing was a fine player too but I'd compare him more to someone like Thomas Hill, only with better ballhandling skills.

Statistically, and statistics obviously aren't everything. Markie is a has a higher 3pt% than Ewing did his senior year 42% to 34% and a better FG% 50 to 42% as well as more RPG 5.9 to 3.4did have more APG 4.0 to 3.0 and steals 2.0 to 1.5. They both have problems from the line Daniel 69% to 62%. Ewing had more turnovers 3.0 to 2.1 his senior year. This analysis is obviously taking into account Ewings full senior season and Markies partial. Just a sidenote on Markies FT%, living out here in California and having seen 10-15 of Markie's high school games I remember him being at least a 75% FT shooter and in one game I recall made ten in a row in one quarter. I just can't figure out what happened to his stroke although last night he was better. For anyone interested Markie is projected as a 2nd round draft pick #44 on NBADRAFT.NET but I don't want to tourn this into a will Markie make the NBA thread, let's enjoy him now and worry about that later.

Demarcus Nelson v. Daniel Ewing?

I think DeMarcus would take him out in the first round.