I've been listening to the Maryland postgame up here on the radio and watching on the TV, and everybody from fans to the sports anchors have been terping that the Terps got jobbed by the refs. Comments of "how can we win when it's 8 on 5, particularly in the last five minutes?" abound.

I'm just a poor football player who's only played pickup basketball since my high school days, and I'm admittedly biased. Can some of the more objective members here tell me what I missed? Duke had 3 more fouls than the terps but took 2 more foul shots (although 8 of those FTs came on the 4 clock stopping fouls in the last minute). I tried to rewatch the last minutes objectively, but I hardly saw anything blatant in the last five minutes.

On a similar note:
CSN here showed Gary's entire press conference. Here is a paraphrasing of Gary's comments after the game:

The first thing he talked about was rebounding in the second half being key. Said they had a big advantage in the first half, but that Duke evened it up in the second half.

Mentioned that the Terps had great energy in first half but dropped off in second half.
Said that they were still in it with 4 minutes left with a chance to win, and what more could you want?
Mentioned that Duke got possessions they shouldn't have gotten, but later said it was due to loose balls and rebounding.

When asked about the turnovers and what Duke did to them defensively, he said:
"Same they've done to all the league teams they've played. Overplay. Uh. Lot of contact when you go down the middle and, uh, you turn the ball over." I thought that was a little bit of a barb at Duke and the refs, but hey, what do I know.

Asked about the effort as compared to how they played against UNC: He said the Terps played as well as they did against UNC, shooting 54% against the No. 3 team in the country. I only heard him mention UNC a few times, and all but one of those times were answering direct questions from the media.

When asked what they can take from this game, he said that they weren't taking anything from this game. They just wanted to get ready for Virginia. He said that didn't want to say "oh gee, we played great" against two top 5 teams in a week, they wanted to BE one of those top 5 teams. THAT'S what they're playing and fighting for. To get back there.

I could do a word-for-word transcript for you guys, but I don't know if that would be legal. Maybe the DBR gods can let me know.