Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We did get away with a few pretty bad out of bounds calls late in the game. Other than that, though, I thought it was pretty even. They missed some calls in our favor, and missed some in Maryland's favor.
    Scheyer got raked across the arm while going to the basket on one of those calls, though, so at least that one was a wash -- or maybe even an advantage to Maryland, as the correct call would've put a very good free throw shooter on the line (high likelihood of points for us), instead of just giving us the ball (lower likelihood of points).

Vasquez cheap shot!?!

Did anyone else catch the apparent cheap shop by Vasquez to the kidney of Singler during stopped play? It was Greivis...

I believe it was ~5 min remaining in the game, after Singler returned to the court with 4 fouls. Play was stopped and teams were setting for an in-bounds play on the Duke offensive end. Vasquez appeared to look around and then give a closed-fist sucker punch in the lower back of Singler (near the bottom of the TV screen). It was not hard enough to be an attempt to injure, but deliberate enough to be an attempt to incite Singler to retaliate. I had to rewind and replay several times to determine if I was seeing things (I was not).

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In regards to the technical foul, it seems like the precipitant was his desire for a goaltending call (which was close but refs appear to have been correct). Don't know why he was so steamed and wonder if it is useful to get so worked up on the sidelines when he already has a team that is tough and energetic. I can see the usefulness when there are guys who appear to be coasting (from my distant perspective, I'm thinking of guys like Parks, Abdelnaby, and McRoberts), but we seem to have an entire team which is focused and effortful. At the time, seemed to me that he handed over 2 points without a significant gain.
    Hi,

I'm not sure I'd say it was without significant gain. IMO, working the zebras is an art and K is really good at it. As for whether the team needed a spark, I'd say they definitely did because there was a heck of a difference between they way we played in the 2nd half as compared to the 1st. For example, Nelson refused to be stopped in the 2nd half. He was a man with a mission.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Talking in all seriousness...

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    I've been thinking that what the Terps need to raise the standard of their game is a true rivalry.

One of the things about the greatest rivalry in College bbal is proximity. The Hated Holes are only 8 miles down NC 751 from the Hallowed Halls of CIS.

And the opportunity may have arisen this season for Maryland, with the game against American! Imagine that: a Beltway rivalry! I believe I'm right in saying both teams are from Maryland. As I recall, American is just over the District line.

Admittedly, this year the Terps are down in a potential series with American. But they can do it! And the foes are just down the road!
    The best true rival opportunities for Maryland would have to be Georgetown or George Mason, assuming that Mason could keep up the level of performance they've demonstrated the last five years or so. Of course, with Mason, Maryland would be the big baddy with the larger basketball history of success. I'd love to see how they'd react to being on the Duke end of a "rivalry" for once. Without their raging inferiority complex, what would they really have?

Rivalry

You're right, Shark D--American U is just short of the District Line in DC. (Jeez--and to think I used to live on upper Mass. Ave!)

But my point stands about the proximity between American U and the Terps providing the raw material for a rivalry.

But why not Gergetown or GW as potentiial DC rivals for U Md, you may ask? Well, I was thinking you would have to give the Terps a fighting chance of winning otherwise a series wouldn't be much fun. The Terps would have a fighting chance of winning an occasional game against American.

I rest my case for a Beltway rivalry, UMD vs American.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I blame the Terp loss on those guys on the bench who don't play. I couldn't tell what it was, but judging by the way their "coach" was berating them the whole game they must have done something pretty awful.
    AWESOME post.

Smile yeah, I saw it...

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    Did anyone else catch the apparent cheap shop by Vasquez to the kidney of Singler during stopped play? It was Greivis...

I believe it was ~5 min remaining in the game, after Singler returned to the court with 4 fouls. Play was stopped and teams were setting for an in-bounds play on the Duke offensive end. Vasquez appeared to look around and then give a closed-fist sucker punch in the lower back of Singler (near the bottom of the TV screen). It was not hard enough to be an attempt to injure, but deliberate enough to be an attempt to incite Singler to retaliate. I had to rewind and replay several times to determine if I was seeing things (I was not).
    It looked more like a pat than a cheap shot. I thought it was a cheap shot at first, but after looking at it a few times on my TiVo, it lost the sinister aspect. First of all, kidney shots are pretty painful, and Singler didn't react at all, even to hop a little. So, it looked to me like something I've done in pick-up ball many times, kind of a combination of locating an opposing player in your peripheral and letting them know you're there. Maybe it was harder than it looked, but I didn't see it if it was. Now, Swann's shot in the VT game on GP was an example of one that I thought was much worse than it looked. Just my $0.02.

Wink oh, wait, I was wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Of course, with Mason, Maryland would be the big baddy with the larger basketball history of success. I'd love to see how they'd react to being on the Duke end of a "rivalry" for once. Without their raging inferiority complex, what would they really have?
    Wait a second. DOES Maryland have a greater basketball history? Sure, Maryland had that national title back when I was a younger man, but how many final fours have they been to in the last five years? I know Mason's been to one.

Maybe . . .

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In regards to the technical foul, it seems like the precipitant was his desire for a goaltending call (which was close but refs appear to have been correct). Don't know why he was so steamed and wonder if it is useful to get so worked up on the sidelines . . .

Maybe he remembered getting jobbed on that goaltending call at Virginia Tech (the one where Mike Patrick and Len Elmore argued as to whether the ball would have touched the rim had it not been interfered with).

It's funny. I've been watching Duke b-ball since spring 1993 when I got accepted to Duke. I've seen my share of Duke losses, and while I've complained about individual calls MANY times, I've only said the refs jobbed us or it was 8 on 5 one time, and that was the UConn championship game.
    Do mean the UConn semi-final game in 2004 or the championship game in 1999?

WRT to the technical, I'm actually not sure if K wanted the goaltending call there. I agree with SharkD in thinking K wanted a foul called on Gist who clearly pushed Scheyer in the back, sending him flying under the basket and allowing Gist to get the rebound tip-in.

I've looked for this and can't see any indication of it. Could you check and see exactly when it was?

I saw this happen. At first it was so obvious that I thought that Vasquez was giving him a pat on the rear. I asked my son, who was watching with me, if he saw it but (no surprise) he missed the punch.

It was definitely a punch of some sort and I agree with your definition- not hard enough to injure but enought to goad a retaliatory smack. Singler either did not feel it or ignored it, either way it was the right thing to do.

It looked more like a pat than a cheap shot. I thought it was a cheap shot at first, but after looking at it a few times on my TiVo, it lost the sinister aspect. First of all, kidney shots are pretty painful, and Singler didn't react at all, even to hop a little. So, it looked to me like something I've done in pick-up ball many times, kind of a combination of locating an opposing player in your peripheral and letting them know you're there. Maybe it was harder than it looked, but I didn't see it if it was. Now, Swann's shot in the VT game on GP was an example of one that I thought was much worse than it looked. Just my $0.02.
    You may be right. It was the fact that it was closed fist and more than a tap, and he looked around just before doing it, that made me think it was malicious.

I hope I am wrong, because Vasquez is a lot of fun to watch, and I hate the thought of watching him for 2.5 more seasons if he is a punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I've looked for this and can't see any indication of it. Could you check and see exactly when it was?
    Unfortunately, I did not record it. IIRC, it was just under 5min remaining. Vasquez is shown, fairly close up, walking from right to left on screen, and as he passes Singler, he hits him. The hit falls off the bottom of the screen as the camera pans, and happens pretty quickly. If you blink, you'll miss. Anyone else see this and note the time? Or better yet, post the video?

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    I think Coach's reaction had more to do with the refs not noticing that Jon Scheyer got nailed in the back by Gist, shortly after the play.
    I'm pretty sure that's what K was going off about. Gist clearly shoved Scheyer to get to the putback. Probably not even necessary since Gist could have jumped right clear over him (he's got some hops!), but it was pretty obvious that it was a shove.

Nonetheless, props to our guys for rolling with the punches and coming out on top!!!

I caught that. I'm not sure what the intent was. If that identical thing happened in any other scenario (if we're thinking of the same thing) I would have thought of it as the equivalent of a jovial punch in the shoulder. It just seemed weird to me because...well, it's maryland playing us, and there is usually no love lost there.

I saw it, too, but we decided it was on par with a pat; in fact, it's likely that it was just a friendly way for Vasquez to invite Singler to come visit Venezuela sometime. You know how some men are -- economical with verbage. A butt pat is worth a thousand words.

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I blame the Terp loss on those guys on the bench who don't play. I couldn't tell what it was, but judging by the way their "coach" was berating them the whole game they must have done something pretty awful.
    Shouldn't he be yelling at the ones who ACTUALLY play!!!

I agree, Gist just ran over Scheyer to get that rebound, and I thought that was what got Coach upset. But the broadcasters frequently can hear the actual complaint, so maybe he was complaining about a goaltend (which it wasn't), not the foul.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We did get away with a few pretty bad out of bounds calls late in the game. Other than that, though, I thought it was pretty even. They missed some calls in our favor, and missed some in Maryland's favor.

yea, but i didn't hear the UM fans complaining about the refs when we had some of our top guys in fould trouble on BS calls in the first half when they were up by nine...

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    But why not Gergetown or GW as potentiial DC rivals for U Md, you may ask? Well, I was thinking you would have to give the Terps a fighting chance of winning otherwise a series wouldn't be much fun. The Terps would have a fighting chance of winning an occasional game against American.

I rest my case for a Beltway rivalry, UMD vs American.
    Maryland won't play Georgetown as long as Williams is the head coach -- he claims that Georgetown doesn't play nicely with their scheduling and therefore he has no interest in playing them, or inviting them to the annual BB&T Classic.

Maryland is also unlikely to play GW again, unless in a tournament; Williams made comments about how unfair it was that a lesser team like GW got a huge boost simply by beating his team and that he felt Maryland had nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing such poor quality opponents simply for the sake of placating DC-area fans and ADs. (Translation -- the Terps won't slum it anymore by playing teams who can beat them.)

So, now that another 'lowly' DC team has bruised Gary's pride by being all uppity and not respecting the 'talent' of the Terps by graciously rolling over, I wouldn't be shocked if Gary doesn't return the Eagles' phone calls for a few years. Lord knows, the loss couldn't have possibly resulted from Gary's coaching or his team's play.