Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Yates

Patrick Yates

It is with a spirit of community and openness that we post the following note. Almost since the day we launched the new site, moderators and administrators have been trying to figure out how to deal with a problematic poster, Patrick Yates. We tried citations, which really didn't work -- before the Virginia Tech game, Patrick had already amassed nine, which had resulted in brief vacations but no substantial change in behavior. We tried private messages, but most were ignored and some were greeted with insults. For some time, we had discussed whether he should be permanently banned -- that's one of the longest ongoing discussion threads on the moderator board.

After the Virginia Tech game, Patrick crossed a line that we were no longer willing to tolerate. In a post about the Hokies, he made a number of sexist, derogatory comments that did nothing to add to the discussion. His point could have been made without such language or references. In our estimation, it was another attempt by Patrick to push the line as far as he could to incite a reaction.

The moderators unanimously concluded that Patrick would be banned henceforth. But we don't relish such action, and we believe the community deserves an explanation, rather than a simple disappearance. So, please let this serve as an example that we're willing to give people a lot of leeway for a long time. But, in the end, we are going to maintain the desired community. And if that means someone will have to leave, so be it.

The Mods.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    It is with a spirit of community and openness that we post the following note. Almost since the day we launched the new site, moderators and administrators have been trying to figure out how to deal with a problematic poster, Patrick Yates. We tried citations, which really didn't work -- before the Virginia Tech game, Patrick had already amassed nine, which had resulted in brief vacations but no substantial change in behavior. We tried private messages, but most were ignored and some were greeted with insults. For some time, we had discussed whether he should be permanently banned -- that's one of the longest ongoing discussion threads on the moderator board.

After the Virginia Tech game, Patrick crossed a line that we were no longer willing to tolerate. In a post about the Hokies, he made a number of sexist, derogatory comments that did nothing to add to the discussion. His point could have been made without such language or references. In our estimation, it was another attempt by Patrick to push the line as far as he could to incite a reaction.

The moderators unanimously concluded that Patrick would be banned henceforth. But we don't relish such action, and we believe the community deserves an explanation, rather than a simple disappearance. So, please let this serve as an example that we're willing to give people a lot of leeway for a long time. But, in the end, we are going to maintain the desired community. And if that means someone will have to leave, so be it.

The Mods.
    I love this site and don't want anyone to demean it or the team it covers. Thank you for taking responsibility for this, for trying many alternatives, and to ultimately deciding that the team (posters) is more important than any one person.
    DukeDevilDeb

While I did not see the comments made by Yates in the Virginia Tech thread, I think this board will greatly miss Yates' insights on recruiting and many other topics. While some may have found Yates' postings to be abrasive, which has apparently led to his dismissal from this board, Yates appeared to be one of the more knowledgeable posters on the board, and often wrote long threads which exhibited his passion for Duke basketball. I hope that if he resumes posting on a different website, he will let his "fans" know where they can find his insights.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonlawyer View Post
    While I did not see the comments made by Yates in the Virginia Tech thread, I think this board will greatly miss Yates' insights on recruiting and many other topics. While some may have found Yates' postings to be abrasive, which has apparently led to his dismissal from this board, Yates appeared to be one of the more knowledgeable posters on the board, and often wrote long threads which exhibited his passion for Duke basketball. I hope that if he resumes posting on a different website, he will let his "fans" know where they can find his insights.
    I'd be interested to know how many "fans" PY had-- my take was that he wasn't particularly knowledgable, but that, like a NYC prop trader who is always willing to pull the trigger first and ask questions later (or never), and then offer brash, ill-conceived post-mortems on his brilliant (at least in his own mind) judgments, PY was always sure of himself, however clueless he was in his opinions. He sure was good for stirring the pot, though, so maybe that's what BL will miss... maybe I shouldn't be surprised-- you know what they say about New York lawyers (and maybe Boston's, too?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    you know what they say about New York lawyers (and maybe Boston's, too?)
    I don't. What do they say?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I don't. What do they say?
    Same thing as clubhouse lawyers...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Same thing as clubhouse lawyers...
    Still not getting it. It's late. My brain is dead.

I did not see what finally pushed the moderators over the edge. However, while he could be abrasive, I always appreciated the fact that he was not in the simple "rah, rah, team" mentality. The civility on this board sets it apart from boards like those on the scout or rival systems (including TDD), but we do sometimes err on the side of being too slavishly loyal to Duke at the expense of quality basketball discussion. Unfortunately Patrick appears to have erred to much the other way and I will miss his sometimes contrarian viewpoints, even if he too often presented them in a strident and combative manner.

I read what PY wrote in that thread and it was pretty damn bad. I've heard worse; I've probably said worse and regretted it. I had a feeling readers would object to it.
    ~rthomas

I found py's posts to be routinely annoying and provocative. My viewing pleasure will not be reduced by their absence, and it sounds to me like the moderators were reasonable in regards to the process.

I'd like to thank the moderators for the transparency involved in the process and letting us all know about PY's banning. It would have been easier to just ignore that it happened. I personally enjoyed many of PY's posts, especially his long-winded recruiting ones. While sometimes they were provocative/controversial/inane/or even stupid, I still found them entertaining and he did give an interesting perspective whether you agreed with it or not. I, however, did not see his comments in the VTech thread; I'm sure the moderators handled it appropriately after giving him several warnings - and he should have realized he needed to tone down his posts...

I often wondered if PY was actually a fan of Duke, given the bent of many of his posts. I don't like that it came to this, but I agree with those who appreciate the transparency of his banning.

I disagree. I found his recruiting posts baiting and the glass was always half full. He bordered on parody, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

The Mods.
    Glad to see him go. Thanks for addressing a problem. IMO he contributed nothing but pessimism and asinine comments particularly about recruiting.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 01-28-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Tag

15. I'm not remotely close enough to the situation to make any pronouncements about whether or not the banning was the right call. PY was one of several posters with whom I didn't always agree but I was never present for anything that really made me uncomfortable or angry. I do want to join others who are deeply grateful for the transparency of the process and the obvious seriousness with which the mods are taking this issue. The interweb is cluttered with petty tin-pot tyrant moderators, powertripping with every ban. It's a testament to the atmosphere of this board that the process here is so different.

Thank you, Mr. Yates!

Er, I mean... Mr. Bostonlawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Thank you, Mr. Yates!

Er, I mean... Mr. Bostonlawyer.

What, you also noticed that was the only post by bostonlawyer?

That may have been my first post on dbr since it revamped its bulletin boards, but bostonlawyer has made numerous posts on the old dbr bulletin board going back years.

I assure you that I, thankfully, am not Patrick Yates.

When I first joined this board I had posts deleted, warnings issued, and threads canceled.

Then I learned to play by the rules. That is really what its all about here. If you dont like the rules post somewhere else.

Almost every time I log on I'm tempted to post something(s) that might get me banned for a while. I like it here though, so I dont.

I liked a lot of Yates' posts and I also dislike a lot of the mods' decisions. However, in all I think they (mods) do a great job. Why else would I spend 1/6 of my working day reading this stuff!

Just to back up Bostonlawyer, s/he is coming from a way different IP address from ones associated with Yates.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine