Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've only seen Olek on YouTube, but here's the comparison I came up with pretty quickly:

Casey Calvary, Gonzaga '01

Don't know who remembers this guy, but he had the same build as Olek and could really get up. He made it onto SportsCenter a heck of a lot because he'd throw down some putbacks, but also became a really good college player. He could shoot well from the outside, so I'm guessing he was more polished as a scorer/ballhandler entering college than Olek will be, but if our guy comes anywhere close to being like Calvary then I'll be thrilled.

Calvary was on the Gonzaga team that made the Elite 8 in '99 and really got everyone's attention on a national level for the first time. I Googled him to make sure I had the spelling of his name (not cavalry) correct (and I did!) and he was listed at 6'8", 235 as a senior. And, as I mentioned, he was damn good. His college scoring averages from Frosh-Senior went 3.7, 9.4, 13.2, 19.0. I don't expect Olek to ever score like Casey did his final two years at Gonzaga, but if he can provide the athleticism, muscle, and rebounding (6.6 reb/gm his final three seasons) that Calvary did then I'll be thrilled.

If you need something to jog your memory, try this YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kYLpsrm978

This is the last 2 1/2 minutes of Gonzaga's win over Florida in the 1999 Sweet 16. Calvary gets a block about a minute-plus into the video and gets the game-winning tip. Blonde guy wearing No. 31.

On Olek

After reading this thread, I did some internet research on Czyz. I wanted to watch the youtube video and see what else I can find. His athleticism is very impressive, no doubt.

I really like this blog from some Kentucky sports radio site - http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=2684 - particularly, this part:

At one point at Pangos AA camp, I told Olek that he was about to go up against a great post defender/dunker (Storm Warren) and he said, “What number is he, I want him to remember me.”

And this part:

Olek’s best attribute in my opinion is his work ethic. The kid is always among the first person up and down the court and he is relentless with his effort. His motor will not quit and his desire to compete is exceptional. During UK’s elite camp, during the drill stations the first night, Coach Gillispie reportedly asked if Olek always works so hard. He found out for certain the next day as Olek dominated overall top 3 player of 2009, Demarcus Cousins. His desire to compete makes him a good defender, although he will want to add some muscle to his frame during the next year. Regardless of physique, which is neither skinny nor muscular, Olek has a natural strength and determination which makes him an effective post defender. He is not a natural shot blocker by instinct, but will likely block some shots during his career due to desire and defensive positioning.

Now, this is just one blogger's opinion, but it's great stuff to hear about an incoming Dukie.

By the way, at 6' 7" 235 (that's what Scout.com lists him as), he is not much different in size than Patrick Patterson - who may very well be in the NBA next year.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

I really like this blog from some Kentucky sports radio site - [url]http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=2684 [/B]

Now, this is just one blogger's opinion, but it's great stuff to hear about an incoming Dukie.
    It is a great read. I had already linked this article awhile ago:
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88209#post88209

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    It is a great read. I had already linked this article awhile ago:
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...8209#post88209
    Sorry about that - I missed it even though I read that thread. Well, it's definitely worth bringing to people's attention again.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

By the way, at 6' 7" 235 (that's what Scout.com lists him as), he is not much different in size than Patrick Patterson - who may very well be in the NBA next year.
    From what I've seen of Patterson, he is more of a widebody and space-eater than Czyz. But Czyz has a lot of natural strength, and is more explosive than Patterson. He could play on the wing easily; Patterson couldn't even think about it.

And Humboldt: I think Czyz might have snatched and slammed over two guys that ball that Calvary tipped in. He also has a good shooting touch and can handle. When he's called raw, please don't think that implies any limitations, tools-wise. But more later, when perhaps I will have sobered up. Or maybe not.

Well, it's definitely worth bringing to people's attention again.
    Definetly.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    The comparison that's tentatively suggesting itself is much more outrageous than Thomas. It's Len Bias.
    I had heard about the great player that was Len Bias when I was in Durham. However, ever since I came to Baltimore, I've heard about the diamond-in-the-rough story, and how he emerged to dominate Jordan (well, atleast in that one game in Chapel Hill) - people still worship him here.
    So, it's definetly intriguing to hear the Len Bias comparison from someone who has been evaluating atheletes for 50 years.

Sure, look forward to your report.

Quote Originally Posted by HumboldtDevil View Post
    I've only seen Olek on YouTube, but here's the comparison I came up with pretty quickly:

Casey Calvary, Gonzaga '01
    Nice call on Calvary! Great leaper, similar body type. More realistic than Thomas, in my opinion.