Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Henderson and the NBA

Just curious, but what is everyone's best "guess" on how many years Gerald stays at Duke. I've heard some people say they think he is a 4-yr player. Is this based on something he has said in the past or something his dad has said? I would love to see Gerald stay all 4 years and graduate from Duke (hopefully with a couple national championships) because he has the talent to be a NPOY and have #15 up in the rafters.

Duke expects Henderson to stay for at least three seasons.

Things like this are almost impossible to predict because you just never know. Some guys have a great season, but then decide to return because of a number of different reasons. Yet, some guys have a decent year but end up playing great in the tournament and then decide to go pro. Regardless of how many years he stays, I hope Gerald, his family, and the coaching staff are all in agreement about the best decision for him when he does to decide to go to the NBA.

I think 3 years sounds reasonable. My only worry is that should he have an awesome March, and see his stock rise, that he jump too early and then waste away on some crappy NBA team's bench for a few years before he gets his footing.

I would wish him the best if he jumped after this year, I just think it's in his best interests to spend at least 3 years in college.

Henderson

Even with a great March- which would mean Duke in the Final Four or better- he has much to work on. Three years sound right- plus he has a father who will have a lot to say about that decision.

Since we're on the topic, anyone expect Singler to stay for 3-4 years? He already has said he will be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Since we're on the topic, anyone expect Singler to stay for 3-4 years? He already has said he will be back next year.
    I put the over/under on the length of Gerald's Duke career at 3.5. I think we can comfortably anticipate 3 years and hold out reasonable hope for 4. While his game is suited excellently for the NBA, I think he needs more consistency from his jump shot and perhaps a bit more muscle.
    I expect Singler to stay at least as many years as Gerald. I think he needs more work on his shot and not quite as much muscle as Gerald. I don't think he'll be able to play as much of an inside/outside game in the League. He reminds me in a number of ways of Mike Dunleavy (with perhaps a heftier dose of athleticism). Remember, Dunleavy initially struggled in the NBA, even after staying for three seasons at Duke.

Gerald

My guess would be on three years. An amazing March this year in addition to Dunleavly like information that he is going to go lottery this year could put the odds of a third year a little lower but even then, I think there's a good chance he'd stay. Similarly, a very disappointing junior year could result in a fourth year and even then, he still could decide to leave after his junior year.

Ultimately, I would expect three years with small chances that he could leave after two or four years. That said, without getting into the kid's mind this is nothing more than speculation.

if Henderson has an awesome March (and April!) that would be good news for Duke. I rather use make the Final Four!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Three years sound right- plus he has a father who will have a lot to say about that decision.
    Plus, they're probably not hurting for money - the main attraction of the league.

"Plus, they're probably not hurting for money - the main attraction of the league."

True. But neither were the Dunleavys. The NBA has other attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Plus, they're probably not hurting for money - the main attraction of the league."

True. But neither were the Dunleavys. The NBA has other attractions.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I put the over/under on the length of Gerald's Duke career at 3.5. I think we can comfortably anticipate 3 years and hold out reasonable hope for 4. While his game is suited excellently for the NBA, I think he needs more consistency from his jump shot and perhaps a bit more muscle.
    I expect Singler to stay at least as many years as Gerald. I think he needs more work on his shot and not quite as much muscle as Gerald. I don't think he'll be able to play as much of an inside/outside game in the League. He reminds me in a number of ways of Mike Dunleavy (with perhaps a heftier dose of athleticism). Remember, Dunleavy initially struggled in the NBA, even after staying for three seasons at Duke.
    how is he suited excellently for the nba? he's 6'4" so he is way too small to be a 3 and doesn't shoot the way a typical 2 does. i'd say his game is more suited excellently for college.

He is athletic enough and has a great turn around jumper, but he really needs to work on his long range shot and 3 point shots. Foul shooting to, but that isn't a big issue in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    how is he suited excellently for the nba? he's 6'4" so he is way too small to be a 3 and doesn't shoot the way a typical 2 does.
    Really? I've been wrong in the past, but I think his game is very well suited to playing a 2 in the NBA. He needs to work on his range sure, but assuming good progress over the next year or two, I think NBA teams would be happy to take a gamble. His crazy pull-up jumper and his fantastic athleticism are the kinds of things that NBA teams drool over.

Before they came to college, I remember seeing an interview with Henderson and Ellington, and the interviewer asked them about the NBA, and Ellington said something along the lines of, "I can't promise anything; if you get an opportunity you want to take advantage of it," and Henderson said flat-out, "I want to stay four years and win some championships." Sure, plenty of players have said one thing and then done another, but still, it made me glad we got who we got, and UNC got who they got.

I expect Gerald to stay for three years at least. There's no financial incentive to leave early and the kid is still getting better, admitting that there's a lot he needs to improve on. Most importantly, he genuinely seems to be enjoying his collegiate experience.

Do I think Gerald could get by in the NBA if he left early? Yes. With his athleticism, scouts would take Henderson whenever he decided to come out. He has what NBA scouts covet and that's the old "P" word: potential. I remember the performance Gerald had against Pitt and he his some NBA-difficulty shots that night. He still needs to improve from behind the arc but his mid-range game and ability to penetrate the defense are clearly there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerald stay 4 years and I think both he and Duke would benefit greatly from that. Could you imagine Gerald as a senior? I personally think he could give a serious run at National Player of the Year his senior year.

Gerald is shooting only 62% from the stripe and 31% from the arc and he has to improve his court vision. Don't get me wrong. I love his game and athletic wings in general but he's at least a year away.

I would love to see henderson at duke for another 2 years. staying 4 years just isnt nessasary for him, unless he wants another shot for the championship. i say 3 years would be best for his development, ft shooting, ball handling, jump shot, defense can all use improvement, but he can get all the development in the nba against better competition. that being said, i would not be surprised if he declares for the nba draft after this year. he will be drafted in the first round and he will get paid, plus he can always get a duke degree later on.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Before they came to college, I remember seeing an interview with Henderson and Ellington, and the interviewer asked them about the NBA, and Ellington said something along the lines of, "I can't promise anything; if you get an opportunity you want to take advantage of it," and Henderson said flat-out, "I want to stay four years and win some championships." Sure, plenty of players have said one thing and then done another, but still, it made me glad we got who we got, and UNC got who they got.
    He's also said something like that again this year, so he doesn't seem to have changed much in 1 and a half years.

"(I want to be remembered as) an explosive player. One of the best to ever play at Duke," Henderson said. "That was one of my goals coming here as a high school player — to be one of the best to ever play at Duke and leave my mark."

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2321014/

I wouldn't say he's one of the best this year (I consider "the best" to be a pretty exclusive group). With some improvements he could really be great next year, but to achieve his current "one of the best" goal I'd say he has to stay 4 years. Which is separate from whether he needs 4 for the NBA (I say no) of course. My impression is almost that he knows he'll be good for the NBA, and he really wants to leave something behind in college. And based on the way his dad reacted to some missed free throws it seems like he would support (and possibly instilled) that desire.